The Big Chop

keeshesfromindy

On June 16th, I plan on chopping most of my hair off. I hope to continue chopping most of the relaxer out of my hair. I hope my hair will be as short as Halle Berry's. The problem I have is that I do not want to fall back into getting a relaxer. I'm wondering if a texturizer might be easier on my hair. I used to get my relaxers every four weeks and it's time to break this cycle. My mom suggested a kiddie perm, which might be gentler on my hair. Right now she uses Mizani, I think it's lye. Any suggestions you give me will be helpful.
Thanks,
Keeshes

It's really up to you...for some ladies a texturizer makes it easier to transition because the 2 textures are more similiar than completely straight and natural. I would'nt go the kiddie perm route though. You should get it done professionaly and use a mild lye relaxer. If you are comfortable with wearing a twa than I'd say chop it...but for me it was easier to transistion...doing several chops at a time...

I think its easier for me to wear a short hair cut now. I did not think the kiddie perm was not a great route. I will ask about the texturizer. I plan on using a professional, I never give myself relaxers.
smile.gif

Personally I would transition without the chemicals. Maybe you should wear a weave or braids extensions and gradually cut off your hair every month or so.

keeshes y r u decidin to go natural?? coz i was thinkin the same thing as organic coz i had my last relaxer in august and braided my hair and made sure it was really moisturised to avoid breakage and i think in the long run this may be easier than usin other types of chemicals coz it automatically MADE me take better care of my hair and i think it was because of this transition stage that i make sure to moisturise my hair more

kiddie perms and other relaxers are the same. They just package it with a picture of a little girl, but there is very little difference (if there indeed is any) between a "relaxer for children" and a relaxer that adult women use. You'd simply be putting the same chemicals in your hair under the guise that you think it's something milder.

A texturizer is a "milder" version of a perm that, instead of straightening the hair, makes it curly/wavy. It may or may not be any gentler on your hair at all.

Man, this is a tough decision. I'm not sure If I want to be natural. I just want my hair to grow out healthy with less chemicals. The breakage i've had from relaxers is out of control, but if I do not relax every 4 weeks, things get out control. I might just keep it short for a while. Thanks for the information guys.
Keeshes

I am confused
confused.gif
Are you transitioning to go natural or to go to a texturizer? B/c a texturizer is not milder than a relaxer. They are the same thing.A tex. is just not left on long enough for you hair to get straight. I am talking from experience.

As Organicevolution said, maybe you should transition using braids, weaves, braid outs etc.

Texturizers come with the same complications when growing out. THe point where the natural hair meets the tex. hair is still weak but not as noticable as straight hair that is transitioning.

If you are transitioning to go natural then I think its a good idea to just leave the chemicals alone altogether b/c it doesn't make sense to transition from a relaxer to texturizer to get natural hair. just doesn't make sense

can you fill me in so i understand.

Thanks

Hrm....ChocolateCutee you make some good points. I just thought a texturizer would be milder on my hair and I would be able to get away from the every four weeks with my hair. No matter how well I take care of my hair it always has to be relaxed every four weeks. Besides I do want a shorter hair cut for a while. I need a new look, I just thought this would be a good time to get rid of relaxers all together.
Keeshes

Can I just say that a chemical is a chemical. A Tex. is a chemical is a chemical. If your hair grew out fast with a relaxer then it most probablly do so with a texturizer also. you would have to touch it up about the same time as a relaxer.

I still don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Are you transitioning to go natural or transitioning to a texturizer.
I think you need to relise that a tex. is just the same as a relaxer but just not left on long, with that isn't a risk of some of the complications of a relaxer?

If you still want a texturizer then do it. (I am not trying to persuade you to do anything) Ask some people who have texturizers about maintenance tips that could help you in your descision

I aint being harsh or anything but i just don't get it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hrm....ChocolateCutee you make some good points. I just thought a texturizer would be milder on my hair and I would be able to get away from the every four weeks with my hair. No matter how well I take care of my hair it always has to be relaxed every four weeks. Besides I do want a shorter hair cut for a while. I need a new look, I just thought this would be a good time to get rid of relaxers all together.
Keeshes

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually people with texturized hair can go longer than 4 weeks. I retouch every 12-20 weeks, but you have to do what's best for you. A lot of relaxed people can go longer than 4 weeks also;
think.gif
maybe your regimine needs tweaking. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make, and PM me if you have any questions.

Back