The BEST post-relaxer protein...

Divine Inspiration

Alright ladies...here's the deal:

In the past month or so, I've noticed ladies applying protein/reconstructors after relaxers and having reversion issues as a result of the chemical reaction.

Obviously, I'd like to avoid this at all costs b/c my hair is not bone straight to begin with.

So my question is, what is the best post-relaxer protein that does NOT cause reversion?

Ive never had problems with reversion from protein, but my favorite protein to use directly after my relaxer is Affirm 5n1 Reconstructor

I've not tried Affirm's 5n1, but I have used Design Essentials 6n1, Mizani Hydrafuse, Aphogee 3 Minute Conditioner, and Nexxus Emergencee in which all of these products do well, but it really depends on your hair.

My motto lately is "Everythang ain't for everybody".

Look for a protein with vegetable, silk, or milk proteins. These are the lightest proteins.

What kind of relaxer do you use?

I don't believe in protein reversion after a relaxer. It doesn't make sense at all. Use whichever reconstructor that you like! Right now I use aphogee 2-minute keratin and elasta qp breakage control serum.

I like to use things in the same line together during my relaxer so I would use Motions Silk Protein. It's a really good light protein conditioner that strengthens and moisturizes well. :)

Divine Inspiration said:
Motions Oil Moisturizer Relaxer

Porsche, If you try the Aphogee treatment after your relaxer you will be singing a TOTALLY different song.... :lol: No but seriously, protien reversion DOES HAPPEN. it's happened to me a few times, but it doens't happen all the time. I've only used aphogee and mizani kerafuse. most of the time when i use aphogee, it does cause reversion. never with kerafuse. I plan to invest in a bottle of nexxus emergencee.
When i did my first (which was also my last) Phyto relaxer, i actually used the reconstructor that came with the relaxer...and sure enough, i had reversion. which also led to shedding. probably because i did an extra long trtmnt. but next time i'll know better...that's if i ever get the nerve to try phyto again.

Porsche19 said:
I don't believe in protein reversion after a relaxer. It doesn't make sense at all. Use whichever reconstructor that you like! Right now I use aphogee 2-minute keratin and elasta qp breakage control serum.

affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor, actually it's part of the relaxer system . I also like using motions cpr minus the mini wheats, these make my hair stronger and are the only protein conditioners I will use.

I haven't had problems with reversion after using a protein conditioner, but these are the protein conditioners that I like to use after a realxer:
Lamaur Bone Marrow Treatment, MNT or Silicon Mix.

Mizani_Mrs said:
Porsche, If you try the Aphogee treatment after your relaxer you will be singing a TOTALLY different song.... :lol: No but seriously, protien reversion DOES HAPPEN. it's happened to me a few times, but it doens't happen all the time. I've only used aphogee and mizani kerafuse. most of the time when i use aphogee, it does cause reversion. never with kerafuse. I plan to invest in a bottle of nexxus emergencee.
When i did my first (which was also my last) Phyto relaxer, i actually used the reconstructor that came with the relaxer...and sure enough, i had reversion. which also led to shedding. probably because i did an extra long trtmnt. but next time i'll know better...that's if i ever get the nerve to try phyto again.

Two problems that I have...

1) Protein reversion SHOULD be impossible because even if a reconstructor IS keratin based, those keratin proteins will NOT fuse permanently to the hair, neither will they match up perfectly with the hair and rebuild it back to a more perfect condition.

2) Even if protein reversion was possible somehow (which doesn't seem possible, it's just not logical), then WHY does it not happen if you use a reconstructor one month after relaxing? Or 3 months after? After relaxing, you neutralize your hair very well (if you didn't, you wouldn't have much hair). It's porosity is corrected right after the relaxing process. It shouldn't be any more porus than it is weeks after it's relaxed. So... why would the reconstructor only cause reversion at this time? If it were true, the protein would enter the hair shaft and re-build the hair at ANY point in time.

Plus, I always use a keratin based reconstructor, sometimes nexxus emergencce after relaxing with no reversion at all.

From Another Board
The relaxing breaks down protein in the hair, which in turn relaxes the curl. Protein treatments put it back. Right after a relaxer, the chemical process breaks the hair down to a state where it will "hold on" to whatever you put onto it much more intensely (this is the reason rinses are often done right after a relaxer). If the very next thing you do is protein, and your hair is the kind that does this more than others, you may see some "reversion". It's not really reverting, but rather, a restoration of some of the curl pattern you had before the chemical process by adding protein to hair that is still able to bond that protein to itself, because of the recent chemical process.

Porsche19 said:
Two problems that I have...

1) Protein reversion SHOULD be impossible because even if a reconstructor IS keratin based, those keratin proteins will NOT fuse permanently to the hair, neither will they match up perfectly with the hair and rebuild it back to a more perfect condition.

2) Even if protein reversion was possible somehow (which doesn't seem possible, it's just not logical), then WHY does it not happen if you use a reconstructor one month after relaxing? Or 3 months after? After relaxing, you neutralize your hair very well (if you didn't, you wouldn't have much hair). It's porosity is corrected right after the relaxing process. It shouldn't be any more porus than it is weeks after it's relaxed. So... why would the reconstructor only cause reversion at this time? If it were true, the protein would enter the hair shaft and re-build the hair at ANY point in time.

Plus, I always use a keratin based reconstructor, sometimes nexxus emergencce after relaxing with no reversion at all.

but how is it supposed to hold FOREIGN proteins?

Hmmm... I'll take a shot an an anology, although I'm horrible at them.

A natural hair is like a brick wall. A relaxer is like a sledgehammer. When you relax your hair, it's like the relaxer takes chunks of proteins out and leaves you with a different or non-existent curl pattern. It's like a sledgehammer knocking out some of those bricks and the cement that holds them together and leaving the wall in a different, weaker state.

The reconstructor has bricks sometimes the same bricks as the wall, sometimes not... and instead of cement (the bonds that hold natural hair together) it has glue instead... which is why a reconstructor's effect wears off. How could trying to plug up holes in the brick wall with FOREIGN bricks in a random order rebuild a wall? It may make the wall stronger, but the wall isn't anywhere near the way it was originally.

Err... hope that people can get that.

You can't just take protein and reattach it right back into the hair and it'll be just like new. That part just doesn't make sense. If this was true in any way, then at ANY time we used a protein conditioner with heat,we should slowly return to natural.

Also, people say don't use protein for weeks after a relaxer, not just on the day of the relaxer.

I'm not saying that the hair reverts to it original state, but protein does revert it to a less straight state. To be safe you shouldn't use a hard protein any sooner than 2 weeks after your touch-up, just like you shouldn't use color (which does the opposite of protein) for two weeks. In the first two weeks after your touch-up your hair is the most fragile.

mochamadness said:
Right after a relaxer, I apply motions silk protein. The following week I use nexxus emergencee

I requested that stylist apply the Motions Silk Protein right after the relaxer and she did so I think I'm gonna do a moisturizing DC this week, and apply Emergencee next week and follow it w/ Humectress & EVOO.

Thanks everybody! :D

this is great information, b/c i will be getting a relaxer in a couple more weeks. thanks ladies!:)

Back