The $64,000 question..

Lovelylocs

:look:
:dollar: How do u know when your hair is done processing? :confused: WHAT SHOULD IT LOOK LIKE? I know that different people want different results from their relaxers. Do you want your hair to look the same way with the finished relaxer in it that u do when u wash it out? For example, if you want your hair to be bone straight, do u wait for the hair to look bone straight while the relaxer is still in it? Does anyone know? :dollar:

I am having a really difficult time finding an answer to this question. This is odd to me since so many people on this board self-relax. :nuts: (This could partially be my fault. Maybe the original thread that I made wasnt catchy enough?) Anyway, I feel frustrated :wallbash: searching the internet for info on self-relaxing. This isnt smthg that I just wanna jump into. I want to be educated on it because these are harsh chemicals.

:bookworm: I can't find any books, article, nothing on how to self-relax except for Southerngirl's website (Thank you, Southerngirl!). Her site is very informative, but I still have questions because I don't want to ruin my hair at all. :bookworm:

TIA

Disclaimer: There is no actually monetary prize for helping, but I will be forever greatful because I will save LOTS of money. :p
I DO appreciate all of the help from my original post, but I am hoping that this one is clearer and that more people will respond.

Last edited:
What you need to do is do a strand test to see how long it takes to process your hair to the desired texture your looking for. Yes, you need to check it while the relaxer is still in, what you do is after applying the relaxer and smoothing the last section you take the back of a comb and rubb off some of the relaxer and then you can see if it's bone straight or if it still has some waves in it, if it does then put some relaxer back on that section. For myself once I'm done smothing the last section, my relaxer is completely processed and it's time to wash it right out.

Great question...I'd like to know as well.
I totally think it varies greatly from person to person b/c some ladies like bone straight hair and others like a little bulk even though they consider themselves relaxed and then texturizing is a whole 'notha story!
From what I've heard, a looser wave pattern should be visible, meaning, your coils should slowly began to release as the chemical straightens them. As a guarantee for bone straight hair, I'd follow the instructions & leave it on at least until I could smooth it straight even if it wasn't completely straight on it's own (make sense?).
I don't think there's a magic number. I started a thread on this not too long ago b/c I wanted to know how long everyone left their relaxer on and the results they got w/ the time they used. That thread may be helpful so I'll bump it for you...
This is one of the many reasons I've held off on self-relaxing...I just don't feel that I know everything I need to know about self-relaxing...I hope someone comes through and drops additional knowledge.
{DI}

This is a great question. I've always wondered that too. When I self-relaxed, I just assumed that I should leave it in for the max time since my hair was very coarse. I never considered whether I was over-processing or not. I really wish I had knowon about this board then! :(

That is a good question. Do not leave the relaxer on longer than what the instructions say ... if you do, then overprocessing will be a result. The technique is what gives you the desired results. Using enough relaxer on a section is more important than some people think. Make sure your new growth is adequately covered with relaxer; otherwise, you will end up with underprocessed hair (dry, frizzy, and brittle). Also, smoothing is what will give you the results that you want as far as straightness is concerned.

You have to have a method when you self-relax. That is why I do my hair in sections over a period of several days instead of trying to do it all at the same time. That way, I can take my time and I get optimal results each time.

I think that processing time as well as relaxer strength are important factors to considered. First, make sure to use the appropriate strength for your hair texture...I personally never use more than regular/normal, but my hair is coarse(4a/b)...I feel that super strength relaxers are meant for virgin hair(i really don't like to use them at all) and lighter formulas/texturizers for less kinky hair...Also, the condition of your hair will influence the results; damage/weak hair(limp, thin, little to no elasticity) shouldn't be relaxed...this is why protein treatments(like ChocolateHead and Aphogee are important tools to introduce your hair before your next relaxer)...and length of hair; short hair can be relaxed bone straight(most stressful to hair) than longer hair...longer hair should never be boned straight...I use rollersets and flat irons for that....longer hair should be wavy when wet or air dryed...but not frizzy...hth...

Great question Lovely, and it sounds like you've already gotten some good advice.

I really think I was just fortunate to have the type of hair that can just follow the instructions for relaxer timing. I don't let it sit on for longer than 20 minutes, and I have a lot of hair to get through. Timing has never been an issue for me, I really think it's in the application. If you have not aplied the relaxer correctly and you leave it on for the correct amount of trime, you may be subject to under-processed areas.

I also think the type of relaxer is equally as important. If you choose a good relaxer that responds well to your hair type, it will be very forgiving and allow you to make mistakes along the way (like in the application or smoothing process).

My hair just reponds well to Vitale and I really don't have to think about it. Maybe try a bit of research on relaxer types until you find one that you think may suit you, then just use the relaxer steps. It make take a bit of time to fine-tune, but you'll get there!

SG

I self-relaxed but am currently doing a mild texturizer. I don't recommend self relaxing period. It's one of those do as I say not as I do things. If you're unsure of processing time the strand test is the best option. Different products have different processing times and steps. Anyone who self relaxes can tell you that they've had their share of errors. You are bound to have under and over processed parts just because it's difficult to apply in the back. Why risk it if you don't want to mess your hair up? If you're gonna do it yourself at least have a friend/family apply the relaxer on the back sections. Some things you just can't see with a mirror.

I just did it. I self relaxed! I am glad that sweetness said that long hair should never be bone strait because my hair did not come out bonestraight. LOL I didnt even get enough time to smooth it through section by section not because it burned but because of time. The relaxer was in my hair for approximately 24 minutes. It didnt burn at all, but I was afraid that if I left it in too long that my hair would fall out. It is currently airdrying. I am gonna wait a few days and then do an aphogee treatment. I dont know if I am going to try this again. It all depends on how my hair turns out.

Back