That's it....I am SOOO over rollersetting!!!!

If so being texlaxed there will (probably) always be the issue with texture at the roots. I'm assuming you've tried wrapping your hair either in a scarf or the saran wrap method to flatten the roots?

See I wonder that. I wondered if I'm expecting too much when my hair is not relaxed bone straight.

All that hair and you're using yellow rollers?!
You should definitely go up some sizes. At least purple, but black and grey will probably be your best bet, especially if you are going for a straighter style.

And I think you should try four sections, or a ponytail set...they provide the same results as the mohawk, and in my opinion, they are easier to manage, because the parting is less complicated.

Lastly, maybe you could practice anchoring on dry hair, until you find the best way to place the clips? I find that my rollers stay in best when I place the clip as far towards the front of the roller as possible, while making sure that the roller is not being clipped to a piece of hair in front of it. I hope that made sense...it's kind of hard to explain what I mean.

See I wonder that. I wondered if I'm expecting too much when my hair is not relaxed bone straight.

When I was texlaxed I sometimes wrapped the hair to ease up the volume on the roots or more recently use a flat iron, which I wasn't happy about. Hence why I decided to go back to a full relaxer. This way I don't need to rely on the flat iron. As a texlaxer I think you are always going to have some texture at the roots.

Hey Ms. Twana, This method, which is called the Anchor Method helps out a lot with the loosness, it actually keeps the rollers stay in place Extremely well. Hope this Helps!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0XPTX0AdWw

I saw that youtube tutorial for the anchor method. She made it look so easy but I had clips poping out all over the place. Its a wonder I didnt loose an eye. How do you get the clips to hold to rollers? It just didnt work for me.

I saw that youtube tutorial for the anchor method. She made it look so easy but I had clips poping out all over the place. Its a wonder I didnt loose an eye. How do you get the clips to hold to rollers? It just didnt work for me.

:lachen: I love this tutorial especially Lady Elle's shakedown reveal of her set - superb and pretty hair too.

With the Anchor method you need a lot of clips one for each side of the roller and even one on the base of each roller for extra support. If you find the short clips tricky use long clips.

I can relate OP- I am also texlaxed. The only way I am successful at a roller set is if I use the Mesh Rollers. With the mesh rollers I am at least able to get good tension. The rollers I have are by Annie and they are hard plastic.

I no longer RS though because I found that the sets did not straighten my hair, and it just seems like it is so much manipulation to still have to use heat.

I for the life of me cannot think of whose post it was...but to keep it tight when rolling...the method she suggested was...Roll. Roll. Pull..repeat...until its completely rolled...

Roll. Roll. Pull saved my hair-rolling life.

:yep:

Maybe some natural will come in here with bone straight roller set roots but I doubt it. I roller set during my transition but as my hair got longer my roots didn't get bone straight but thats ok because the overall look didn't change. I don't consider that a failure. If I needed a bone straight set without any direct heat I wouldn't have transitioned. As a natural I smooth each piece of hair with a damp boar brush before rolling. This helps a lot but again the result is not the same as relaxed hair.

You can buy the clips specifically for magnetic rollers. They are a little longer and heavier and will prevent the popping out that you are experiencing.

I learned to roller set using Buildable Beauty's anchor method! Works great for me. My parting is still not perfect, but I always end up with a great set. I even wore roller sets the last four weeks of my 12 week stretch and my sets were great.

Keep trying! Roller setting is a Godsend.

It took a lot of me sitting in front of the mirror very very slowly making parts and putting rollers in to get rollersetting right. You really have to take your time and use the least amount of products needed.

Co-signing a thousand times :yep:

I've been roller-setting for years and I have NEVER gotten the hang of metal clips :nono:

I'm sticking with what's easy and what works!!

Are there any disadvantages to using the rollers that don't need the clips? Do they stay on pretty well? TIA

All that hair and you're using yellow rollers?!
You should definitely go up some sizes. At least purple, but black and grey will probably be your best bet, especially if you are going for a straighter style.

And I think you should try four sections, or a ponytail set...they provide the same results as the mohawk, and in my opinion, they are easier to manage, because the parting is less complicated.

Lastly, maybe you could practice anchoring on dry hair, until you find the best way to place the clips? I find that my rollers stay in best when I place the clip as far towards the front of the roller as possible, while making sure that the roller is not being clipped to a piece of hair in front of it. I hope that made sense...it's kind of hard to explain what I mean.

:lachen: @ the bolded. Girl, I didn't know any better. I have to try to find the black ones now. I've tried 3 Sally's and they don't carry black. For now I think I'm gonna go with green down the middle and gray on the sides.

I for the life of me cannot think of whose post it was...but to keep it tight when rolling...the method she suggested was...Roll. Roll. Pull..repeat...until its completely rolled...

Roll. Roll. Pull saved my hair-rolling life.

I use that method, too.

You can buy the clips specifically for magnetic rollers. They are a little longer and heavier and will prevent the popping out that you are experiencing.

I learned to roller set using Buildable Beauty's anchor method! Works great for me. My parting is still not perfect, but I always end up with a great set. I even wore roller sets the last four weeks of my 12 week stretch and my sets were great.

Keep trying! Roller setting is a Godsend.

Thanks for the tips. So you had great sets with 12 weeks worth of new growth?? I'm gonna have to look at that video again.

I'm about to try rollersetting again. I tried this salon while I was in Memphis. They give $10 rollersets.....HORRIBLE!!! :nono:

All I can do it encourage you to continue trying. I can't tell you which method is best because I've always used the mohawk method. I'm fully natural and about to rollerset in a few weeks (I really don't wear my hair straight), so I'll let you know how that turns out. But practice really does make perfect. I rollerset my own hair for 10 years before going natural, and it's really a matter of perserverance and consistency, and it WILL get better. Good luck to you!!

Lol, don't feel bad, I can't flat-iron my hair for the life of me. I'm im certain roller setting if far more difficult. Don't give up, you'll figure it out.

Okay. I tried it again with yellow, gray, and green rollers. Still the same results. I think my roots are too underprocessed. I think that's what the problem is. I am DYING to do a corrective on these roots.

I did go buy 12 black rollers though. So when I do relax, I'll use black, gray, and green. I'm sure my rollersets will be a lot better then. I plan to relax this weekend. I'll report back with my results.

Don't give up. It takes time plus i have long arms:lachen::lachen:
Take a look at my HAM rollers! as long as they stay i am happy. I use a net after.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
Don't give up. It takes time plus i have long arms:lachen::lachen:
Take a look at my HAM rollers! as long as they stay i am happy. I use a net after.

:eek: Look at all that hair. And that is a HAM rollerset for you??? GIRRRLLLL.....I wonder what MINE looks like then. :lol: You're hair is GORGEOUS!!! Do you roll up??

Back