Thanks to all my Self-Weavers... PICS!!!!

City_girl

I just want to send a shout out to all of my self-weavers in the house – especially the ladies who replied to the, “How do you learn how to do your own sew-in-weave” post. I had posted that I had a very bad experience with my first self installation. I had read a few of the posts of ladies who had positive experiences and was inspired to try again. This time, I used some of the advise that I had gotten from this and other posts about the correct way to do a sew in. Additionally, the last time my stylist did my weave I had bought Indian Remi hair, so the hair was already cut and layered. I just took it out, permed my perimeter, washed it, deep conditioned it, freshly braided it and re-installed it track for track. Not only did it come out GREAT, but it’s flatter and more natural looking than any weave I’ve ever gotten done professionally. I’M SO HAPPY! More than anything, I’m happy that I can manage the health of my own hair. Oh, and save $300 every two months!!! :yay:Thanks ladies, I couldn’t have done it without you!

Here are my pictures.:woot:(Oh and yes, that is a big ole' grey streak going down my the middle of my head) :perplexed

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 135
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 108
City_girl;2940313 [SIZE=3 said:
Here are my pictures.:woot:(Oh and yes, that is a big ole' grey streak going down my the middle of my head) :perplexed
[/SIZE]

Thanks for saying that! I thought it was a relaxer burn at first! :lachen:

You did a good job! :up:

No gel. I just used Jane Carter Wrap n Roll to mold it. The setting lotion caused my hair to dry with a very similar wave pattern as the hair I used.

:blush:Nice!!! You did a really good job! :grin:

Can you provide the details on what you learned that made this a sucessful and healthy hair install???? Tips ???

Some ladies have successfully used sew-in weaves as protective styles and have APL and BSL hair. SOME knock it but I guess it comes down to personal choice. Everything is not for everyone. :nono:

I will be using it as a protective style to reach my goals. :look:

Thanks for saying that! I thought it was a relaxer burn at first! :lachen:

You did a good job! :up:

Oh, lawd, that would be a really bad burn. lol.

Nah, just good ole' fashion pre-mature greying. I've had it since I was 24, and have been dying it ever since. People always think that I'm younger than I am so I just recently decided to grow it out to kinda off-set the "young thing".

:blush:Nice!!! You did a really good job! :grin:

Can you provide the details on what you learned that made this a sucessful and healthy hair install???? Tips ???

Some ladies have successfully used sew-in weaves as protective styles and have APL and BSL hair. SOME knock it but I guess it comes down to personal choice. Everything is not for everyone. :nono:

I will be using it as a protective style to reach my goals. :look:

I'm also using it as a protective stlye and I must say, this is the strongest my hair has ever been with a perm. Now that I'll be sewing in my own weave, I can really do a better job taking care of my hair (re-doing it more often, washing it more often, deep conditioning it regularly, allowing it to rest between installs, etc. ).

First, I learned not to sew on the track, rather sew around the track. I sewed on the track the first time which made my hair extremely bulky and lumpy. Sewing on the track was also exhausting because it is very hard to stick the needle through.

Second, I made my braids very small. Two rows around my head (which I used to anchor the net) and zig-zagged in the middle.

Third, I tried not to connect tracks in the same place, which can also make it bulky.

Fourth, I used a net, which makes it much flatter.

And finally, I took my time. The whole process took me 7 hours (taking the hair down, perm, wash, deep condition, leave-in treatment, wash weave hair, apply black rinse to weave hair, condition weave hair, dry weave hair, braid hair, apply net, sew on tracks, mold hair). I know, that's a long time. But I would have spent at least 5 hours in the salon. :ohwell:

Very nice job! It looks professionally done. I also love the texture of the hair you used. So pretty. :)

ETA: I'm also all aboard the sew-in as a protective style train, especially this winter. Last winter my hair was dried out something bad from all of the cold weather. This year we're protecting it and evaluating the progress in the spring. :yep:

I like seeing good results like this... it makes me want to be more of a do-it-yourselfer!!

It looks great.

If I can spend 12 hrs braiding.. I can definitely do 7 hours installing.:lachen:

Looks very nice!! I really want to try to do my own weave install! I've recently learned how to really cornrow (I know, I'm slow!), and now I'm thinking all I realy need to learn is how to sew the weave on my braids! Can you provide any tips on that? Are there any albums you want to mention or post a link to that would help those like me that want to try it out for the first time? Thanks! :drunk:

Looks very nice!! I really want to try to do my own weave install! I've recently learned how to really cornrow (I know, I'm slow!), and now I'm thinking all I realy need to learn is how to sew the weave on my braids! Can you provide any tips on that? Are there any albums you want to mention or post a link to that would help those like me that want to try it out for the first time? Thanks! :drunk:

The cornrows are the hard part! If you can do that, you can definitely sew the tracks. Just get a weaving needle (I usually use the curved one because it's easier for me but I've seen people use regular straight ones or the J hook ones) and thread from the bss and thread it like you would if you were sewing some clothes. Tie the two ends into a little not. Then take the needle down under your cornrow and up and around the track (it's very important that you don't sew through the track) and then repeat. Keep doing it like that until you get to the end of the thread where the needle is. Cut it and tie the ends into a little knot. And then re-thread and keep going. PM me if you have any other questions.

Great job and love that hair! Do you mind sharing what type of hair it is and your vendor??

Thanks!

I wish I knew. I bought it direct from my stylist (she charged me $225 which was a bit of a rip-off considering that it's only about 5 oz of hair, but it's all good) and I know she wouldn't tell me where she got it. But I do know that she had to actually texturize the hair to get it to be this texture. Originally the coils were much tighter. But in another six months I'll be looking for a vendor as well, so if you know of any personal experiences with good Indian Remi hair sellers, let me know. :yep:

Ditto to what bmoreflye said. :yep: I would just add, make sure you make a good knot at the end - you don't want it unraveling on you. Also, make sure the knot is underneath the track so it doesn't show when your hair is flat.

Last edited:
Back