Thank you to everyone & Tips for the one who have severely tangled or matted hair

BlackHairDiva

I joined this forum in late November/December 2004 ( under another username). My only goal was to learn how to take care of my hair and hopefully grow it Armpit Length (APL). Back then, I had no clue how much of an impact this forum would have on my life and of the ones around me. I knew nothing about hair, all I knew I aways wanted to wear my hair straight. At the time, I had worn my hair in braids and was starting to wear it natural.

Here I am 20 years later, my mom is now in her 70s with Alzheimer dementia. She has a hard time keeping track of what she has done or not done. Mom would always puller her hair in a bun or in a ponytail. But over the last couple of years it was in a bun and she would put a scarf on. She moved in with me and I told her that I am excited to finally do her like. Well, I was shocked to see her hair was completely matted! From the looks of it for months. With the help of the knowledge I got in this forum and of some salons who specialize in detangling I was able to completely detangle mom's hair.

Over the past year mom's hair is braided. It no longer takes me hours/ days to unbraid and detangle like it did back in the 90s. It is a breeze for me to unbraid and detangle her hair. No longer takes hours. It take about 30 mins.

Thanks to all the sharing in this forum, I know of the best conditioners and figured out my staples, the bet tools, and practices.

If your hair is tangled or matted, I recommend to keep the following in your Emergency kit:
  • Kerace Humecto
  • &Honey ( white) Conditioner
  • Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner& shampoo
  • Fenugreek Oil
  • The Unbraid comb
  • The unbrush (A must if tender headed)
  • A steamer to get it to penetrate in the hair.
  • LOVE518 youtube channel. She untangles severely matted and tangled hair. I called her and she gave me tips. If you are dealing with dreadlocks...that is another can of worms She ( Love 518) got you too.
I have mixed Keracare Humecto, &Honey and Thermasmooth along with Fenugreek to untangle...after a few minutes the dust and tangles falls apart and you can comb through. Very moisturizing!

What a blessing it is to no longer dread unbraiding and doing hair because I know what and how to do things. I know I am giving mommy the best care possible.

Thank you :bighug::grouphug3:

Wow!
What super sweet and encouraging message! Thank you so much for sharing!

And I wish you and your mom the absolute best! That is NOT an easy journey. Please remember to take care of yourself as well, caregiver. :heart3:

Back