Texturizing question?

fatimablush

Hello,

My sister Texturized her hair using Silk Elements relaxer, She really want to texturize with S-curl since she will have the results that she really wants. How long does she have to wait to apply the S-curl? She texturized with the Silk Elements in July after the holiday.

She also does Deep Conditioning or protein treatments or moisturizing treatments each and every week without fail and she also applies leave in conditioners. When she uses gel she adds a little castor oil or grapeseed oils to the gell so that her hair isn't overly dry..

I told her to wait a while...what do you recommend.

TIA

Hello,

My sister Texturized her hair using Silk Elements relaxer, She really want to texturize with S-curl since she will have the results that she really wants. How long does she have to wait to apply the S-curl? She texturized with the Silk Elements in July after the holiday.

She also does Deep Conditioning or protein treatments or moisturizing treatments each and every week without fail and she also applies leave in conditioners. When she uses gel she adds a little castor oil or grapeseed oils to the gell so that her hair isn't overly dry..

I told her to wait a while...what do you recommend.

TIA

Good question!
I don't remember the answer I got when I asked the diff. between a texturizer and a relaxer. But even more importantly, how long to wait before switching bet. the two? Can someone do relaxer, texturizer and relaxer again? Or once you switch, you have to stick with it? What are the list of common texturizer products? I recognize S-curl but nothing else comes to mind.

S curl is lye based. I don't know what would come from retouching her hair so soon. Maybe wait until 6-8 weeks to keep hair healthy. A texturizer may be a weak relaxer, but it will damage her hair just as much as a normal strength relaxer if used incorrectly. I had great success initially using S curl texturizers. I did not know how to retouch them and that led to damage. The difference between a relaxer and texturizer is that a texturizer slightly loosens the curl if used properly. Its goal is not to lose the curl in the hair. A relaxer can do the same, but it is mainly used to remove the curl from the hair. If you use a relaxer to lessen the curl you would leave it on for half the processing time. Maybe I should ask you what result did your sister desire?

Last edited:
I would wait 8 weeks then texturize the new growth only. In essence she would be transitioning from relaxer to texturizer. I think double processing her hair with relaxer and texturizer would lead to breakage

S curl is lye based. I don't know what would come from retouching her hair so soon. Maybe wait until 6-8 weeks to keep hair healthy. A texturizer may be a weak relaxer, but it will damage her hair just as much as a normal strength relaxer if used incorrectly. I had great success initially using S curl texturizers. I did not know how to retouch them and that led to damage. The difference between a relaxer and texturizer is that a texturizer slightly loosens the curl if used properly. Its goal is not to lose the curl in the hair. A relaxer can do the same, but it is mainly used to remove the curl from the hair. If you use a relaxer to lessen the curl you would leave it on for half the processing time. Maybe I should ask you what result did your sister desire?

She likes the curly wavy look instead of the straight look got from leaving the relaxer on for a few minutes..

I told her if push comes to shove she can just wait a while cut the relaxer out then try the s-curl...SHe wants her hair to resemble nicole mitchell murphy..I wish i could post a picture..i will look for the hairstyle she is trying to get.

Back