Texturizers

gradygirl

I'm due for a touch up in a couple of weeks. I used African Pride Multi length texturizer which is has no lye in it the last time I did it. I did not like the way it dried my hair out. I've only texturized twice so far so I'm very new at it. I would like to use something next time using a lye based product. Can anyone suggest a good product and also since I am going from a no lye formula to a lye formla do I need to do the new growth only or all of my hair? Also, can someone tell me the difference between using lye and no lye to texturize?
Thanks

gradygirl said:
I'm due for a touch up in a couple of weeks. I used African Pride Multi length texturizer which is has no lye in it the last time I did it. I did not like the way it dried my hair out. I've only texturized twice so far so I'm very new at it. I would like to use something next time using a lye based product. Can anyone suggest a good product and also since I am going from a no lye formula to a lye formla do I need to do the new growth only or all of my hair? Also, can someone tell me the difference between using lye and no lye to texturize?
Thanks

Hey Gradygirl. Welcome to the forum!!:) I had the same problem you have when I first texturized my hair using Soft and Beautiful Bontanical texturizer (no lye). The first few days my hairwas looking great and then it became extremely dry. I think the reason for this is because a no lye relaxer/texturizer contains calcium hydroxide while a lye relaxer/texturizer contains sodium hydroxide.

Some great lye texturizers are Scurl, Designer Touch texturizing relaxer and Motions texturizer for short hair. You can also use a mild lye relaxer to texturize as well but you have to be extremely careful about timing. The best way to figure out the time frame is to do a strand test before doing a corrective with the mild relaxer that you decide to use for texturizing. Elasta QP and Hawaiian Silky mild relaxer are also great for texturizing.

As for your inquiry about texturing your new growth, I would suggest that you only texturize your new growth. You should never apply the chemical to your ends because this could cause damage and thin ends especially if you overprocess your hair.

Anyway, I hope I was able to answer all your questions.Good luck!!

Has anyone else used African Pride Multi length texturizer? As this is the only texturizer that is marketed towards people with longer texturized hair?

Please let us know your experience

Back