Texturizers. Has anyone had success with them?

• Thread starter Thread starter EnVizion
  • Start date Start date
E

EnVizion

Hi, I am curious about texturizing. Is it as harsh as a relaxer and does your hair grow faster. I remember the Jheri Curl days when I had long thick hair in no time using the Carefree Curl. What brand of texturizers are recommended and are they less harsh than a relaxer?

Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just stepping on the growing hair faster with a texturizer. I think the success of longer hair with a curl, as many women testify on this board, was actually attributed to the constant moisture that is received when one has a curl.

As for texturizers, I know there are some women on this board and naturally curly.com and it has helped with "showing" length if they had shrinkage.

Although some nappturals can show length with a twist or braid out so it's hard to say.

But for making the hair grow faster, I would say constant moisture will help you see length permed, texturized, or natural.

Sneaking out now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i actually think a texturizer is a relaxer that isn't left on as long. so rather than getting the hair completely straight, it just loosens the curls up. i know someone that uses Dudley's mild. she has hers professionally done because if done incorrectly, you can end up with hairs that are different levels of straightness. since it's actually still a relaxer, the chemical is just as harsh.

adrienne

This is weird because last week, I put one in my mother's hair to see what would happened. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used Botanicals Texturizer Regular through her hair (not a short cut, but a short length) and combed it through till her curl loosened up (4a). It did. So then after that, I gelled her hair and it was wavy throughout. Wasn't harsh at all. I didn't use gloves, and my nails did not turn yellow as they do when I apply a relaxer without gloves. There was no mixing whatsoever. You just take the stuff they give you and begin applying it. They gave 2 of everything so I don't have to worry about buying another one. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think any mild relaxer can be used to texturize hair. It's just combed through for 5-10 minutes instead of smoothed for 15-20. I have a cousin that has one. She has very kinky hair and keeps it short--about 2"-3" long. With the texturizer her hair looks curly--kinda like Babyface.
She used Dark & Lovely brand. There was a man on the box...

I texturized my hair a year ago. I didnt have much damage, most of my damage came from wearing extensions. My 4a hair was stretched and easily worn curly, but the more time passed by, the more gel and gunk i needed to get rid of frizz. The process was definately more gentle, because the hair wasnt stretched completely straight. But I did get a straight patch in the back, and didnt want to do the process again because i was pretty sure that I would only get more straight hairs.

My hair was really damaged by a texturizer...bad experience...so was my cousin's hair. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I think Allandra has a testurizer, don't quote I may be mistaken, I haven't tried it though I had enough bad experiences with relaxers. No offense to those who do.

Thanks for your input ladies. Much appreciated. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

a text iis basically a perm left on for a short time. I think those girls who have gel frizzes, etc just don't know what products work best w/ their text. My friend's text looks soo good. I want one... ;-)

I have a texturizer and the results were great and my hair is in great condition. I have one because I have a lot of hair (although I believe my texture is fine, I have a lot of volume). The texturizer allows for me to have many styling options; I can wear it straight, curly, braidout/twistouts etc. What I like about the texturizer is that it allows me to stretch the amount of time between relaxers (right now I'm 19 weeks post relaxer-no breakage). As the other ladies have said, you can use any lye or no-lye relaxer, just don't leave it on as long on your hair, basically you want to loosen up the curl pattern. For more info please check out this site www.jazma.com.

I have a texturizer and I love it! My hair is wavy throughout, and has less shrinkage than before. It's still really thick and feels very soft. A lot of people think it's still all natural. It's so much easier to comb, and I don't get alot of hair out anymore. My hair is still very healthy and shiny. Hopefully I can post picks soon.

jaded_faerie said:
so when you apply a texturizer, you comb through the hair??
No, it's applied to the new growth only (unless your hair is all natural). It's like putting a relaxer in your hair but leaving it on the hair for half as long, just enough to loosen the curl pattern. If you purchase a boxed texturizer, chemically, it's like a mild relaxer. There may be some other differences...

Back