Texturizer Straightness

imani97

Hey Ladies,

I cut my stretch short this time (3 months and 2 weeks or so) and got my hair texturized yesterday at Yanira's in the Bronx. This was the second time that I went and overall I am pleased. My question however is: Can a texturizer get your hair stick straight? I hate for my hair to be straight and I am afraid that all of my work over the past two years to thicken my hair has been lost. Amanda used that Alter Ego texturizer on me and I am kicking myself that I didn't remind her that I don't like my hair super straight. One small part didn't mind b/c I've looked so busted w/ my texlaxed no heat using head of hair, so maybe if it's straighter, it will be easier to go w/out heat. Yeah, so if anyone could answer my question, that would be great. I guess I'll find out eventually though when I wash. As for the thickness, hopefully I can get that back by hennaing. Thanks!

Sorry this is so long, but I got it from iVillage Article on the book Textured Tresses by Diane Da Costa (I have been doing research on this because I was interested in texturizing my hair)

Here's what she says about texturizers....

Texturizing is a special relaxing technique that allows the stylist to achieve a softer, more manageable look with your natural curl pattern. Timing, technical application, and the strength of the chemical (usually mild to normal), depending on your natural curl pattern, are the factors that will determine great results.
A texturizer will release your natural curl pattern, adding softness and sheen to your hair. Texturizing a zigzag curl pattern should result in a soft afro blow-out. However, if the chemical is left on too long, your hair will become straight. In the same way a texturizer can turn a curly pattern into wavy curls, a coily pattern can become spiral curls.
Naturally textured hair may have more than one curl pattern throughout the head. That is why the technique is very important. Also, texturizers usually work well with hair that is short or already at a desired length. Generally, it should not be used to grow out the hair unless you have a wavy curl pattern. Why? Because s you continually apply the chemical on the new growth, the rinsing will inevitably cause the product to run over the already texturized hair, straightening the hair over a period of time. The result - no more texture, just straight hair.

Thanks. So, I think that the person didn't know what she was doing. I mean really, why would I ask for a texturizer if I didn't want anymore texture? Oh well, I wore my hair straight anyway.

Back