Texturizer Epiphany: 4B Z patterns to Wavelets

ReesieCup

For those who read on the run: Bottom line is I discovered recently, that getting cute little oingy boingy wavelets from "straight", frizzy, Z pattern hair simply required more agressive processing.

Now the story...Friday I did the BC. Spent $100 at a D.C. area salon to get a "silkener" (which was actually a cheap relaxer called A.C.E Oil mixed with conditioner). I walked out with one section of cute little ringlets in the back of my head and a straight/frizzy mess on the rest of my head. I was particularly frustrated with the straight frizzy hair. It appeared to be over processed to straightness but underprocessed as to still appear "nappy". Its that Z pattern hair that some claim will not curl.

And it might not curl but if your hair is still frizzy after a texturizer it quite possible that it is underprocessed and needs a bit more coaxing with the relaxer cream.

I did a corrective "texturizer" (Mizani Rhelaxer Mild) at home. I discovered that if I continued to smooth the relaxer on the frizzy yet straight 4B sections of my hair, a wave pattern suddenly appeared. The more I smoothed each individual piece with my fingers, the more a curl/wave would appear. It looked like it came out of nowhere. My goal was to remove the frizz even where it was accidentally straightened. Looks like it wasn't straightened at all. Getting cute little oingy boingy wavelets from "straight", frizzy, Z pattern hair simply required more agressive processing. The Z pattern hair appears to be different from 4 A hair that when relaxed smoothes down to 3 c or even lower. Another interesting thing to note is that hair that I smoothed down to the point of looking straight with the relaxer in snapped into a wave/curl with a wee bit of scrunching after being rinsed out.

So for those 4B Z's who think you can't any time of wave/curl pattern and still have the frizz, I say keep going until you see at a minimum release the appearance of frizz to give you hair a chance to release a pattern.

I'm curious if any of you have had the same experience

I was under the impression that 4b had the z pattern and 4a had the s pattern. So I don't see how the z pattern can be relaxed into an s pattern UNLESS it was really 4a and you just didn't know it. But maybe others will shed more light on this.

Question: How did you weaken the relaxer to get a texturize look?

I used the same relaxer and just added a lot of Olive Oil to it. I love it but it is obvious that my hair is underprocessed. But for bunning (which I do 100% of the time) it is great.

MonaRae

MonaRae said:
Question: How did you weaken the relaxer to get a texturize look?
MonaRae

I conditioned my hair the day before with Nexxus Emergencee, which I think is THE best protein condi on the market. In fact, I put the Nexxus Emergencee in my hair prior to strand test and it took FOREVER to process. I had to lightly rinse it out redry my hair and relax the next day.

I plan to use the Emergencee from now on to protect my hair when doing re-touches.

I'm happy you got the look you wanted. How did you do your touch up? I messed up my texturizers each time by leaving my relaxers on too long. :ohwell:

Candiss said:
I was under the impression that 4b had the z pattern and 4a had the s pattern. So I don't see how the z pattern can be relaxed into an s pattern UNLESS it was really 4a and you just didn't know it. But maybe others will shed more light on this.

My understanding that 4b has no curl pattern. I've got sections of my hair that show no curl pattern, but the individual strands have a S pattern, they just don't curl. I've noticed that if I am underprocessed during a relaxer, they wave up. So I do think depending the individual, 4b hair can wave or curl.

Back