Texturized ladies that were once completely natural....I need your help.

turnergirl

So I want to know about the knots... do they increase after texturizing or do they decrease.

2 questions.

Did you get single strand knots before texturizing and to what degree?

Did it get better or worse after texturizing?

Help a sister out. Right now I am :wallbash: and it's getting old.

Last edited:
I've never been texturized but I remember reading a discussion about this on another board and people pretty much said that if they had a lot of tangles natural that they still had a lot texturized. And that they'd just have to change how they cared for their hair if they truly wanted to minimize tangles. On the flip side, I've also read that people have less tangles after texlaxing. I think it depends on your hair and how much you loosen the pattern with the texturizer though.

I have been texturized before and some parts of my hair was more texlaxed because it got staighter than some parts. The parts of my hair that was more texturized still got knots but not as much as my natural hair does.
The parts that were more texlaxed or more looser had no knots at all. I have pictures of my hair in this state in my 2006 album if you want to take a look.
I still have not figured out how to keep the knots at bay on my natural hair. On my chemically processd hair as long as I kept my ends smooth (usually by using rollers) than knots were not a problem but if I let it dry and shrink up then the knots would be more likely to form.

I transitioned back to natural for a number of reasons.
1. I take meds and I believe that one of its side effects is weaker hair and the strength of my natural hair has nixed that problem.
2. I have 5 older sisters and I notice the older they get the more their hair thins out and I have noticed this in my hair as well. The parts that are thinner does not show with my natural hair as much.
3. I just love natural hair.

Well when I was a natural 4a/b I had a few knots every wash. But the Maxiglide and careful detangling easily straightened those out. Oh and Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo was the best in those days. Still is, but it makes my scalp flake, so I stopped using it.

Anyways as a texturized head, I don't get any knots at all. Not that I've noticed :yep: and my hair is healthier, longer and better off with a texturizer.

The way that I manage my retouch is to find the part of my hair that is the most coarse, and the thickest new growth and start there. Generally it's the same section EVERY time, the back middle (not the top of my head). I do the nape last and the edges. I only allow my Mizani No-Lye to process for seven minutes, I rinse, apply a reconstructor, rinse, apply nuetralizing shampoo (repeat as needed), rinse apply conditioner, rinse, apply deep conditioner (deep condition with heat), rinse and style.

As you can tell I do a lot of rinsing, and I do it all in the shower, leaving the final rinse for the sink. It all takes about 7 minutes in the shower and 1 hour to deep condition with a heat cap. :drunk: I hope this helps.

I dont mind tangles or even a little matting but single strand knots are the things I want to get away from.

When I was relaxed I was only about 75% because it would go no further than that. I was killing my hair trying to get it bone straight, so I got tangles and such then and that was no big deal but the single strand knot issue has made me want to shave my head.

Anyone else?

Did you get single strand knots before texturizing and to what degree?

-Yes. when I was natural I always got single strand knots on my ends especially when I wore my ends out especially in puffs and wash and go's. The only way to prevent them was to wear protective styles like twists or styles where my ends were not exposed.

Did it get better or worse after texturizing?

-After I first relaxed I trimmed off any and all of those evil knots off my ends to see if there would be a difference. So far I havent noticed any new knots. since the coil pattern is loosened my ends are not prone to snarling and knotting around one another anymore.

I've been natural before, have been texturized for the past 3+ years and am now transitioning back to natural. For me with texturizing, you still have SOME tangles, not as much as when fully natural, but the down side is weaker hair, so those fewer tangles, knots, etc, still do some damage. I've always been slightly texturized, but I guess if you go for a more texlaxed/dramatically looser curl, the knotting would be less of an issue on the weaker hair.

Thanks ladies.

I experience so much damage now it is ridiculous because I get so many knots. The breaking point for me was when i saw one strand of hair with 5 knots on it.

Anyone else?

Back