Texturising / Texlaxing Using Protein

ebonylocs

I read in a thread a couple of months ago (bumped up from last year I think), which said that some people had had success in texlaxing to obtain a consistent wave / curl pattern by applying protein to the hair (new growth), then allowing it to dry before applying the relaxer for the full recommended processing time.

Has anyone currently on the board done this?
If so, how did you do it?
What were your results? Pics would be appreciated. :grin:

I think you're talking about the Brazilian keratin treatment. There were a few threads about it.

I think you're talking about the Brazilian keratin treatment. There were a few threads about it.
No, I'm talking about using an ordinary lye or no lye relaxer, but putting a protein conditioner on the hair before.

Actually, you're kind of on the right track because I was thinking that if I use a protein conditioner with human hair keratin, the effect would be *somewhat* similar to one of those keratin straightening treatments like BKT or Pravana, and I'm trying to decide which option to try.

i use to do this before texlaxing. i'm transitioning now, but i used Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (the old formula). i would spray my hair the night before with it and then relax. i also mixed a little conditioner into the relaxer.

i use to do this before texlaxing. i'm transitioning now, but i used Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (the old formula). i would spray my hair the night before with it and then relax. i also mixed a little conditioner into the relaxer.
How did that work for you? What were the advantages / disadvantages?

I have done this, but it didn't loosen the curl much. My hair pretty much looked the same except easier to comb. Maybe I added too much chi silk infusion, conditioner, & oil to my SE. :-/ Maybe I will just use the protein next time.

I've used protein before relaxing and it worked really well, but now that I'm doing 4 month stretches & adding olive oil to my relaxers, I haven't had the need. I would recommend if you are going to do protein, maybe add it to only the relaxed ends so the new growth isn't affected. The protein I use is runny like water and smelly, but if you use something thick like alphogee it could work.

I was using protien when I was texturizing. I would put Aphogee 2 minute protein conditioner in my hair. Let it dry and then apply the relaxer. It never failed me.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I was using protien when I was texturizing. I would put Aphogee 2 minute protein conditioner in my hair. Let it dry and then apply the relaxer. It never failed me.
Did you apply it to your new growth as well?

Was your hair manageable using this method?

Why did you decide to stop?

(sorry for the 101 questions).

Back