Texture Change from Heavy Proteins

Can heavy proteins slightly alter hair texture?

• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

In a forum post, a few people said that heavy protein (such as Aphogee or Dudley) made their hair curlier and much thicker. It caused a little reversion to happen.

Has anyone else noticed this with hardcore proteins.

I find that when my hair's moisture and protein is balanced, my curls pop nicely. However, with regular (so far 7 mos) consistent protein use on a weekly basis - I can definitely say that my hair has thickened up nicely.

I use Megatek once a week on the full length of my hair.

I find when I use heavier protein, my curls are tighter and tougher to manipulate (blowdrying or braiding).

Yes I have found this to be my experience on my relaxed hair as well. I haven't decided yet if its due to a certain type of protein or protein in general.

I am a regular protein user.

Same for me! I got a touch up after 3 months of stretching. I've used protein regularly since then (less than a month ago) and I look like I need another touch up. As if I haven't had one in two months. I couldn't understand why I had reversion. I mean, a relaxer is supposed to prevent that right?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

When I was using Joico Kpak for daily for cowashes, my hair reverted BIG TIME that is why I switched to Moisture Recovery and use the Kpak sparingly.

I'm transitioning so I'm not super familiar with my texture but I did ApHogee 2 Step and the texture became much more defined. I plan to use this again right before my BC to make the two textures stand out more for the stylist.

Heavy proteins helps my curls reform. It makes my hair stronger. It hasn't changed my curl pattern necessarily though. It has however, helped some of my heat damage revert back.

The only protein I've used has been eggs. When I do my egg and yogurt DC my hair feels stronger. I can't say it does anything for my curl pattern, though. The only thing that makes my coils pop is having the correct protein moisture balance and the right PH balance which I guess is kind of the same thing without that my hair is just frizz.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed more curl definition but I've seen my strands go from super fine (can barely see it even on a white sheet of paper) to just fine (which I've accepted as normal for me). Also my strands have much more elasticity and breakage is not an even a thought.

I have found this to be true. Not that my hair is harder to manage, but it really does help my curls to "reform" an stop being so limp at times, especially after a flat iron.

Slightly, I have a no curl patch at the back of my head. Im not sure if its 4c or what but it has no curl and its just floppy when wet. After i use aphogee 2 step, that area becomes 4b. It will have coils for the next couple of weeks then return to no coils. The rest of my hair has coils so it stays the same.

Back