Texlaxing: Hair care and styling for winter months.

hnntrr

Hello All! I am Bryana, I am new here. I am a 22 year old mixed african american girl looking to do somethin with her hair!

I have been texlaxing since Feb (unintentionally, I didnt realize the way I was doing my relaxers was texlaxing, I just knew I didnt want my hair to be bone straight).

(A mild/diluted relaxer that loosens up the curl rather than strip it and render it completely straight.)

I tried, for about 2 1/2 months to transition to natural, I ended up texlaxing my hair last night (which I didnt realize I have been doing up until now). I am scared to do the big cut, and honestly I am scared to death of fully transitioning since I have never had curly hair, the last time I did I was 5 and crying.

So I decided to texlax, get used to the curl, learn how to manage it and then eventually fully transition to natural hair.

Normally I leave my relaxer in for only about 10 minutes (never the full 12-15 minutes as recommended) and I pre condition my scalp with petro jelly before hand. Next time I end up relaxing (in about 2-3 months) I am going to try cutting it with conditioner to help the dryness I experience post relaxer.

I did the relaxer last night and just rewashed and deep conditioned it tonight

So I guess my question it what kind of styles, and tips would help me (especially during these winter months) to help keep my hair protected.

My normal routine is:
DP once a week, I had been using Placenta and Jobajoba oil mixture but I just recently switched to Olive Oil DP. I do a wet wrap set over night, and then flat iron it on low the next day after it is completely dry. Then I maintain it with Cantu Shea Butter growth strengthen, and Mixed Chicks silky hair serum and dry wrap it at night. Then because its been cold I either wear it under a hat.

But I would like to experiment with curly styles (trying cocoon braids tonight). I tried flat twist outs and they really didnt work for me at all.

I want to try and avoid heat this winter as much as possible. A friend of mine might put in crochet braids at one point when I get some more cash, but I am really against wings/weaves of any sort (even though I know that is a majority of protective styles). Any ideas?

I like the idea if crochet braids. Have u tried braidouts? What about phoney ponies? Welcome !

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

I have tried braid outs and I didnt like the results, I am doing bantu knots now (my hair wasn't long enough to do cocoon braids).

I will only try the crochet braids if I can some how afford it.

My hair is really layered so the front is shorter than the back, so the front is a little longer than the bottom of my ear, the back is at the base of my neck. So its still pretty short maybe about 8 inches total? I havnt measured yet.

Back