TEXLAXERS, please help me out...HOW DO YOU DO IT?...

Mandy4610

OK, most of you guys have probably already seem my threads on how frustrated I am with my hair and how I am so undecided on what to do with it. I have NOT decided what I will do, but I want to get as much info about texlaxing as I can.
I would like to know:

What relaxer do you use?
How do you do it?
If you add oil or any other products, what is the ratio of the product:Relaxer?

Please give any other info that would be helpful.

TIA

Mandy

Hiya Mandy:bighug:

I use Hawaiian Silky no mix no lye in regular strength. I dilute it. I just shorten my relaxing time by 5 minutes.

First off, my hair is very resistant... so the strength and time applied isn't what most people would use.

What relaxer do you use?

ORS No - Lye Super

How do you do it?

1. Rollerset and airdry (so I can clearly see the new growth)

2. Coat the previously relaxed hair with conditioner (V05 or AO GPB)

3. Apply the relaxer and smooth for 20 minutes

4. Rinse it well, then dump a can of coconut milk over it, squeeze out the excess and leave in for 5 mins.

5. Shampoo the coconut milk out with ors neutralizing poo.

6. Lather up really well with neutralizing poo and keep it in for 5 mins, 2 times.

7. Shampoo with a gentle shampoo (NTM)

8. Deep condition with heat for 30 mins. (AO honeysuckle rose or Miss Key's 10 en 1)

9. Detangle, add leave -in and jojoba oil, then style or airdry.

I don't do this anymore, but I had great results mixing with GPB conditioner and SAA (a tablespoon each).

I use Just for Me- No lye regular (mild) and I don't mix it with anything.
Except what comes in the box.

I make really big parts (not the typically) relaxer parts and apply it to my hair that way. I learned this from a tutorial on the Just for Me website. I'll see if I can find it for you. It takes me about 5-7 min. to apply it. I then wash and neutralize. I have really fine strands so that amount of time is enough to straighten/tex my hair.

----
Here's the tutorial
http://www.texturesoftener.com/video_step4.html
Also, unless this is your first relaxer.... only do the new growth!

Last edited:
I use Just for Me- No lye regular (mild) and I don't mix it with anything.
Except what comes in the box.

I make really big parts (not the typically) relaxer parts and apply it to my hair that way. I learned this from a tutorial on the Just for Me website. I'll see if I can find it for you. It takes me about 5-7 min. to apply it. I then wash and neutralize. I have really fine strands so that amount of time is enough to straighten/tex my hair.

----
Here's the tutorial
http://www.texturesoftener.com/video_step4.html
Also, unless this is your first relaxer.... only do the new growth!

First off, my hair is very resistant... so the strength and time applied isn't what most people would use.

What relaxer do you use?

ORS No - Lye Super

How do you do it?

1. Rollerset and airdry (so I can clearly see the new growth)

2. Coat the previously relaxed hair with conditioner (V05 or AO GPB)

3. Apply the relaxer and smooth for 20 minutes

4. Rinse it well, then dump a can of coconut milk over it, squeeze out the excess and leave in for 5 mins.

5. Shampoo the coconut milk out with ors neutralizing poo.

6. Lather up really well with neutralizing poo and keep it in for 5 mins, 2 times.

7. Shampoo with a gentle shampoo (NTM)

8. Deep condition with heat for 30 mins. (AO honeysuckle rose or Miss Key's 10 en 1)

9. Detangle, add leave -in and jojoba oil, then style or airdry.

I don't do this anymore, but I had great results mixing with GPB conditioner and SAA (a tablespoon each).
Thank you ladies. I appreciate your help.

I used ORS No Lye Regular but I am gonna switch to Mizani Butter blend, But since my hair was short, I had added a little oil and I applied it to my whole head, for me I had to gently comb it thru and I kept combing it thru with a wide tooth comb for about 10 minutes I did no smoothing because I didn't want it straight. after that I done the rinse and deep condition and applied a good leave in and fantasias ic gel and scrunch and tousled and my curls were pretty.

For a Touch up I suggest you wait about 3 months and make sure you use an Applicator Bottle to retouch so that it gets on the newgrowth and not overlap and add alittle conditioner to make the process slower so you can have time to do your other parts. I also read someone does their hair in Twist and just apply it while the hair is in twist maybe they will chime in! I prefer more curly look as to a wavy look!

Sacrea I think I spelled it right, she texlaxes her hair and it is beautiful!!!

I used ORS No Lye Regular but I am gonna switch to Mizani Butter blend, But since my hair was short, I had added a little oil and I applied it to my whole head, for me I had to gently comb it thru and I kept combing it thru with a wide tooth comb for about 10 minutes I did no smoothing because I didn't want it straight. after that I done the rinse and deep condition and applied a good leave in and fantasias ic gel and scrunch and tousled and my curls were pretty.

For a Touch up I suggest you wait about 3 months and make sure you use an Applicator Bottle to retouch so that it gets on the newgrowth and not overlap and add alittle conditioner to make the process slower so you can have time to do your other parts. I also read someone does their hair in Twist and just apply it while the hair is in twist maybe they will chime in! I prefer more curly look as to a wavy look!

That is a great idea, I never thought of that! My next texlax, I'm going to do just that. I'm sure it will be alot neater and I'll hit my target area alot better!!

Mandy this is my texlax album, you can definitely see where my tex'd hair and straight relaxed ends meet! I plan to cut them one day and hopefully my hair will curl better. But right now I'm holding them hostage for length. lol

http://public.fotki.com/nichole21/texlax/

That is a great idea, I never thought of that! My next texlax, I'm going to do just that. I'm sure it will be alot neater and I'll hit my target area alot better!!

Mandy this is my texlax album, you can definitely see where my tex'd hair and straight relaxed ends meet! I plan to cut them one day and hopefully my hair will curl better. But right now I'm holding them hostage for length. lol

http://public.fotki.com/nichole21/texlax/

The applicator bottle is the best Idea, I have been using one since 1994, or when I have chemicals LOL!! It helped so much and is so much better than applying with a brush and it is quicker:yep:

Great Technique!:yep: I'll get the applicator bottle. Too bad I didnt see this a couple of days ago, I got a touchup yesterday.

I text with ORS no lye for 10-15 minutes using the Half & Half technique.

What relaxer do you use?

ORS no-lye

How do you do it?

Add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of olive oil
Protect previously relaxed hair with conditioner and seal with oil
Part hair 4-6 sections
Apply using a brush, smoothing a little
Usually takes me 15-20 min from start to finish
Prepartion is key.:yep:

I have type 4a hair with a lot of shrinkage. I find that I must used my gloved hands to smooth to make sure there is even distribution of the relaxer. If not you just see little coils huddling close to my scalp and laughing at the product I'm trying to use on it.

Last edited:

That was the best texturized look EVER! :yep: Perfect little ringlets.

However, the technique scares me.

How can you be sure you get all the relaxer out and neutralize properly in twists? How can you safely touch up the same way?

I forgot her username... gosh, I hope she comes in too.

How can you be sure you get all the relaxer out and neutralize properly in twists? How can you safely touch up the same way?

I have no Idea, but I swore I read that, I think she takes each twist down and wash them in sections, Man, I forgot her username as well, I see her face but can't think of her name, hopefully someone will come in here and help!:nono:

LOL!! Okay, I am gonna go read it! I just wrote in your thread that you need an online album, your texlax hair is Beautiful! I want mine like yours:yep:

I used ORS for five minutes-no smoothing. Put the perm on your ends last because they will straighten.

My hair is still Happily Nappy just a looser kink.

However, what I found is that my hair tangles more now that I am texed.

Do a search, there are loads of threads on texlaxing.

What relaxer do you use?
Revlon Realistic Regular Lye

How do you do it?
Processing time is up to 15 minutes, including application and smoothing

I don't add anything to the relaxer cream.

Please give any other info that would be helpful. I have listed my texlaxing process, in detail, in the "About Me" section of my fotki. I wish you success in whatever you decide to do.

LovelyMissYoli - I mean technically if it doesn't all come out while it's in twists won't it come out later when you take them out and wash? I don't remember what her steps were.

What relaxer do you use?

Any lye relaxer I have handy. Lately it has been ORS in the green tub.

How do you do it?

Apply to new growth and smooth with hands (kinda running hands down hair shaft from head to where ever the new growth ends).

I add 1 tablespoon of protein conditioner. The protein helps to preserve the curl pattern and no matter what relaxer I use my results have been consistent.

I will sometimes add a tablespoon of olive or vatika oil if I've been scratching my scalp too much before hand.

Please give any other info that would be helpful.

There are some really helpful texlaxing threads around here somewhere that discuss the use of protein in more depth...

I use(d) Silk Elements Lye Mild formula. I pasted the info below from a PM I sent someone earlier this month:

A few days before, I comb may hair out in 4 sections, braiding each one after I've completely detangeld. After this is done, I saturate my hair and scalp w/jojoba or coconut oil. I then brush it back and put into a bun until I'm ready to texlax. When I'm ready to start the chemical process, I'll part my hair into 4 sections and clip each one. I re-apply either coconut oil or conditioner to the parts I don't want to process; mainly the length or my hair, including the ends. I lay out all of my supplies before I start so I don't have to search for anything while the relaxer is in. I get: my towels, gloves, applicator brush, relaxer (duh :spinning:), neutralizer, chelator, moisturizing poo, DC, plastic cap and shower comb. Working quickly, I start w/the coarser sections, which for me are in the back, applying the relaxer and working my way to the front. I don't comb thru and only sometimes will I use my hands to smooth it. My max processing time is 7 minutes. If you don't think you can get thru your whole head in 7 minutes or worry about one section being processed longer than the others, you can do one section at a time, rinsing and neutralizing before moving to the next. After I rinse, I neutralize then use a chelating poo, usually ORS Aloe Shampoo. Since I use a cellophane, after the chelator I apply my cellophane and get under the dryer. If you don't color, you can use a moisturizing poo after neutralizing, then DC w/heat and style as usual. I find w/texlaxing, moisture is VITAL. Of course you always want to have a nice balance of protein and moisture but if you lean more toward moisture, your hair should be fine. I never use hard core protein treatments, my texlaxed hair doesn't like them. If I need a bit of protein I'll use a product that's already a combo of the two like Toque Emergencia or ORS Repleneshing Pak mixed w/a moisturizing cond.

Back