Texlaxed, Kinky relaxed and natural.. How do you str8n safely?

Amour

Was just wondering how you texlaxed, naturals and non bone str8 ladies straighten your hair safely. My hair is accidentally textlaxed so when wet its like wavy kinks and it dries curly. I love it BUT i find it extremely hard to starighten it without direct heat.

So I was wondering whether you could share your tips?

I have tried rollersetting but within the curl I still get the kinks? How can I perfect the rollersetting technique, so I can get it str8?

When I airdry and wrap a scarf around my head, the roots and 1st half of my length ends up near enough straight but the ends are curly.

Any tips to help me straighten my hair without direct heat?

Bumping!

I really want to know too. I was on a personal challenge not to use direct heat until the end of the year and I'm now looking to buyt the best flat iron and blowdryer for my hair. I want to be able to turn kinks to swangin' hair with the right tools without damage

Use the biggest size rollers possible.
The ends of your hair must be smooth and lay flat on the roller.
When rolling, pull tautly.

I'm a texlaxed 4a/b and I think I may have some answers. I can tell you what works for me.:yep:

1. I use straightening shampoo, conditioner and leave in. (Redken Smooth Down or Paul Mitchel Silky Straight).
2. After wash, deep condition and rinse thoroughly then add your leave in. My hair does better WITHOUT shampoo, but if I use shampoo it needs to be "straightening, sleek shampoo" (Nexxus Straightening Shampoo also works okay)
3. When the conditioner is in there go ahead and detangle from the ends up. I use a wide tooth comb and then my fake denman brush. Ends up! Rinse with cool water for shine.
4. Then the best way to get roots and hair straight for me is two ponytails one at the top, one at the bottom and put a band around the ends of each pony. IF I bun, my ends are NOT straight. Wrap with a silk scarf and sleep.
5. The next day I flat iron if I want to or add more leave in and put it in a bun at the back with bangs in the front.

I've retained most of my length, since putting the blow dryer and flat iron DOWN.

Sometimes I change step five and go ahead and flat iron starting from the back of my nape to the front of my head. I use a Sedu Flat iron.

IF you choose to blow dry I feel that this can be done safely on 80% dry hair (already detangled), I use the denman brush on my ends again and just hold the hair taut and gently blow on mild heat. To me this is no different than sitting under a dome dryer. Just don't comb the hair and blow dry, you're asking for breakage.

I am by no means a hair guru, but I love hair and healthy techniques, love MY hair and have learned so much on this site. I hope I can help others. :)

Thanks everyone, keep the tips coming :yep:

I'm a texlaxed 4a/b and I think I may have some answers. I can tell you what works for me.:yep:

1. I use straightening shampoo, conditioner and leave in. (Redken Smooth Down or Paul Mitchel Silky Straight).
2. After wash, deep condition and rinse thoroughly then add your leave in. My hair does better WITHOUT shampoo, but if I use shampoo it needs to be "straightening, sleek shampoo" (Nexxus Straightening Shampoo also works okay)
3. When the conditioner is in there go ahead and detangle from the ends up. I use a wide tooth comb and then my fake denman brush. Ends up! Rinse with cool water for shine.
4. Then the best way to get roots and hair straight for me is two ponytails one at the top, one at the bottom and put a band around the ends of each pony. IF I bun, my ends are NOT straight. Wrap with a silk scarf and sleep.
5. The next day I flat iron if I want to or add more leave in and put it in a bun at the back with bangs in the front.

I've retained most of my length, since putting the blow dryer and flat iron DOWN.

Sometimes I change step five and go ahead and flat iron starting from the back of my nape to the front of my head. I use a Sedu Flat iron.

IF you choose to blow dry I feel that this can be done safely on 80% dry hair (already detangled), I use the denman brush on my ends again and just hold the hair taut and gently blow on mild heat. To me this is no different than sitting under a dome dryer. Just don't comb the hair and blow dry, you're asking for breakage.

I am by no means a hair guru, but I love hair and healthy techniques, love MY hair and have learned so much on this site. I hope I can help others. :)

I am going to try the band thing, I wonder if it will work better if I put bands throughout the length of the hair and not just the ends and roots!?

I have a further question for those who rollerset.. Is it necessary to comb out hair with a thin toothed comb (after hair has been detangled) to ensure smooth and straight hair?

I Straightened my hair with the following method:

1st- Shampooed in 7 sections (Redken Smooth Down)
2nd- Conditioned and detangled in 7 sections (Redken Smooth Down)
3rd- I put a black henna color in my hair prior to straightening (Colora)
4th- I sat under the hooded dryer for 30 minutes with Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat
5th- I detangled in sections with Redken Smooth Down Detangling/Leave In Cream
6th- I sat under the Hooded Dryer on cool for 20 minutes to dry my hair a little before I start blow drying
7th- I put Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide on my semi-wet hair
8th- I blow dried in sections with the Babyliss Pro TT Hot Air Brush
9th- I flat iron with Babyliss Pro TT Flat Iron

This is my method of straightening that has worked for me. The next I straighten I may use rollers and only blow dry my roots before I flat iron

Try the "Curlform" rollers. I understand that some ladies have used them and the curls turned out to be wonderful.

I have tried rollersetting but within the curl I still get the kinks? How can I perfect the rollersetting technique, so I can get it str8?

It sounds like you need to pull the hair taut.How ever the hair looks on the roller is the way it will look once it drys.So if the hair isn't perfectly smooth and still has kinks in it,the set won't come out smooth.After you Deep Condition and rinse,make sure the hair is still very wet and use a good leave in .I personally use a fine tooth comb to help smooth the hair and prepare it for the roller.

Back