Terressentials Mud Wash Lavender Garden --- Can You Ever Go Back To Using Commercial Hair Products?

Crystalicequeen123

Hey Ladies!!! :wave:

Quick question....

I just ordered and received a bottle of Terressentials Mud wash which has been highly highly recommended by Naptural85 on YouTube, and when I read their website, it seems as though during and after doing the "Hair Detox" that they recommend, you aren't supposed to use any commercial hair products on your hair.....like, ever.... :look: Unless you want the buildup again from traditional shampoos and conditioners. :ohwell:

My question is, after I use this stuff, will I never be able to use commercial hair products anymore?? I have a ton of products under my bathroom sink (I'm a product junkie lol), and I just can't imagine NEVER using them ever again.

Or, is it saying that you will want to stick to strictly all-natural, organic products for the hair from now on? I think Naptural85 said that she uses only natural and organic products in her hair now, and it seems to be thriving.

Anyone ever use this mud wash before? What were your results? What did your hair feel like? Were you ever able to use commercial products after doing the "detox"?

I just can't fathom never using commercialized conditioner. :ohwell: Any feedback would be great! I'm afraid to use it until I hear other people's comments. :look:

Here's their website: http://www.terressentials.com/index.html

Here's Naptural85's review on YouTube:

It's been a long time since Naptural85 shipped Terressentials. She's tried all kinds of regular commercial products, gels, partnered up with Carol's Daughter and dyed her hair twice since her juices-and-berries days.

You can definitely go back to using your normal products but Terressentials recommends for you to "detox" every time you go back to their line of products. I personally find this unnecessary though and a silly marketing ploy to make their products sound like more than they really are. Their ingredients is just aloe juice + clay + oils. One can make this at home easily and still use regular products alongside it. Their cleansers are no different and one can use a condish afterward if one prefers it, it won't make the Terressentials product work any worse/better.

I haven't used this mud wash but I mix my own and use it regularly. I don't really use leave-ins or moisturisers or stylers other than gel but I do use a protein and/or moisture conditioner when I feel my hair needs it. I also use shampoo on a rare occasion.

Early in the year, I was using clay and diluted Kinky Curly Knot today as my main conditioner and leave-in. My hair was looking really dull (more than natural).

I was living in the MHM thread and got some good advice to ditch the conditioner. After further reading, I stopped using conditioner and a leave-in and the greyness disappeared; my hair began to have some lustre. I would water rinse, clay then shingle my gel and go.

Lacking protein, I began experimenting with organic conditioners but I make sure clay is always my last step. The clay leaves my hair feeling so nice and clean, it is apparent if my hair is coated by a product- not all will have this effect. I haven't noticed build-up on my strands since I dropped the leave-in.

Using commercial conditioners with clay shouldn't result in anything bad happening, although I understand how using products that tend to cause build-up, or products that are difficult for the clay to remove is counterproductive so I would pay attention to the ingredients in my products (I try to steer clear of too much oil or butters and my DCs are streamlined to two).

I say it's your hair and you can use what you like, especially if the conditioners work for you and you have them already.

Sorry for the long post;).

Last edited:
It's been a long time since Naptural85 shipped Terressentials. She's tried all kinds of regular commercial products, gels, partnered up with Carol's Daughter and dyed her hair twice since her juices-and-berries days.

You can definitely go back to using your normal products but Terressentials recommends for you to "detox" every time you go back to their line of products. I personally find this unnecessary though and a silly marketing ploy to make their products sound like more than they really are. Their ingredients is just aloe juice + clay + oils. One can make this at home easily and still use regular products alongside it. Their cleansers are no different and one can use a condish afterward if one prefers it, it won't make the Terressentials product work any worse/better.

:lachen: :rofl:

Thanks for the honest review lol :yep:

Yea I know she's done a lot of things differently lately, and albeit has even admitted that perhaps there are things she shouldn't have done because it kind of ruined her hair progress (ie. dying her hair), so I definitely appreciate her honesty. I understand her wanting to do a little something different though. But truthfully, I think sticking to the simple tried and true method works best when trying to grow natural hair.

I am somewhat relieved to hear that I can go back to using other commercial products after using the Terressentials brand. I was kind of suspecting that this "detox" method was more so a ploy to use more product in your hair, and a way to keep you buying their hair wash since it's "forbidden" to use anything else on your hair lol.

Have you tried their mud wash before? How did you like it? :look:

I haven't used this mud wash but I mix my own and use it regularly. I don't really use leave-ins or moisturisers or stylers other than gel but I do use a protein and/or moisture conditioner when I feel my hair needs it. I also use shampoo on a rare occasion.

Early in the year, I was using clay and diluted Kinky Curly Knot today as my main conditioner and leave-in. My hair was looking really dull (more than natural).

I was living in the MHM thread and got some good advice to ditch the conditioner. After further reading, I stopped using conditioner and a leave-in and the greyness disappeared; my hair began to have some lustre. I would water rinse, clay then shingle my gel and go.

Lacking protein, I began experimenting with organic conditioners but I make sure clay is always my last step. The clay leaves my hair feeling so nice and clean, it is apparent if my hair is coated by a product- not all will have this effect. I haven't noticed build-up on my strands since I dropped the leave-in.

Using commercial conditioners with clay shouldn't result in anything bad happening, although I understand how using products that tend to cause build-up, or products that are difficult for the clay to remove is counterproductive so I would pay attention to the ingredients in my products (I try to steer clear of too much oil or butters and my DCs are streamlined to two).

I say it's your hair and you can use what you like, especially if the conditioners work for you and you have them already.

Sorry for the long post;).

Thanks for your review!

So when you say you condition and wash your hair, how often are we talking?? Every 3 days? Once a week? Once every other week? Once a month??? I get varying answers depending on who I talk to.

I don't mind making my own conditioner if my hair needs it (actually, Naptural85 has a recipe on her YT site), but I'm just curious as to how often I should be conditioning my hair. I USUALLY deep condition every wash day (which is typically once a week unless I have my hair in a protective style), but now I'm wondering if this is TOO MUCH conditioning?

My hair gets that ashen and dry look too sometimes, and I hate it. :nono: I feel like when I first BC'd, my hair looked shiny/sheeny, and it looked lush and healthy. NOW that I'm in SoCal, I feel like my poor strands are sooooo parched and thirsty most of the time. :nono: I just don't know if I can afford to not condition my hair. I don't want to add more buildup to my strands, but I dont' see how people can use the clay and NOT condition afterwards. Is the clay THAT moisturizing on the hair?? :look:

"Crystalicequeen123, post: 21808617, member: 4644"]Thanks for your review!

So when you say you condition and wash your hair, how often are we talking?? Every 3 days? Once a week? Once every other week? Once a month??? I get varying answers depending on who I talk to.

@Crystalicequeen123 I am either wearing a wash and go or wigging. When my hair is loose, I will go max 4 days, min 2 days between wetting. So I'll clay wash once a week but will wet it in between washes- either by water rinsing (15mins or so), dousing quickly with the shower head or steam from my shower.

I don't mind making my own conditioner if my hair needs it (actually, Naptural85 has a recipe on her YT site), but I'm just curious as to how often I should be conditioning my hair. I USUALLY deep condition every wash day (which is typically once a week unless I have my hair in a protective style), but now I'm wondering if this is TOO MUCH conditioning?

I don't use conditioner every wash. I tend to go by intuition/ how my hair is looking or feeling, or if I use a protein conditioner, then I will definitely follow with a moisture DC. Maybe I could do with more, but my hair feels ok.

My hair gets that ashen and dry look too sometimes, and I hate it. :nono: I feel like when I first BC'd, my hair looked shiny/sheeny, and it looked lush and healthy. NOW that I'm in SoCal, I feel like my poor strands are sooooo parched and thirsty most of the time. :nono: I just don't know if I can afford to not condition my hair. I don't want to add more buildup to my strands, but I dont' see how people can use the clay and NOT condition afterwards. Is the clay THAT moisturizing on the hair?? :look:

Are you natural? Maybe you could try wetting your hair more often. My hair looks much better since I switched things up a bit. No more grey dullness :). The clay is that good to me that I don't feel that I need something extra after- especially as my hair can't take a lot of layers of product (= dullness for me) or maybe it was just the Kinky Curly leave-in. Either way, switching the order works better for me at the mo.

Have you tried their mud wash before? How did you like it? :look:
I did, but I didn't see a difference between the Terressentials and the mudwash I was making at the time. I will say that I didn't "detox" my hair. I wasn't using products that film the hair or "plastics" (like polymers or polyquaterniums) or silicones which is the reason they mention for "detoxing". I don't really believe in hair detoxing anyhow, especially not with clay. The most efficient cleanser will always include a sulfate. Sulfates do indeed strip the hair of moisture, but it will always clean hair better than any clay or cowash, and will get rid of any dirt/debris/plastics/oils a lot faster.

The Terresentials wash was okay, but nothing particularly special in my opinion. Do try it though! If you like it, I would try to make my own at home as it will definitely be more cost effective.

I started mud washing by using the Left Coast Lemon. I did the detox and after that looked for more "natural" products to use in my hair. I wasn't under the impression that you couldn't use commercial products, but that you should be choosey about which ones you use.

You can't buy TE in Canada any more and so I started making my own. I'd have to try it again, now, but I remember feeling that TE was more moisturizing than my own mixes.

That said, I've been clay washing for about 3 years. I like it.

I like it as well. I've been using it for about 3 years now but lately have opted for apple cider vinegar when I want to get my hair clean. The Terressntials Lavender Mud Wash is good for when my hair is really dry and matted, I feel like it "calms my hair down" if that makes any sense. The only con is that afterward during styling my hair feels coated, even without adding any product at all. Other than that, it smells great and serves it purpose for me

I have used terresentials mud wash and I uses it for several months. My hair was soft, easy to detangle and I didnt need to follow up with conditioner. When I temporarily stopped using it and switched back to my normal shampoo and condish, my hair started to feel coated.
When I went back to the mud wash, I had to start all I over with the detox and it took a lot longer to fully detox my hair.
I would recommend that if you plan to mud wash stick with that, otherwise you will have to start all over.

Back