Tempted to weave it up!

melodee

I visited one of my best friends recenlty who lives in FL and she said she is going to get "extensions". She is white, and says that all of her other friends(also white) are getting them. I told her that it sounded realyy interesteing and that she should go for it, it would be fun. Then I started thinking, why shouldn't I get a weave if I wanted to for fun. Is it damaging? I've never had a weave, aminly due to the stimgma that it has had with our sisters. But now all the white girls are getting them done and they never point fingers at each other and chastise each other for wearing fake hair. Ladies who weave, share your experiences please.

I've worn weaves..I think wearing one is cool, as long as you know how to take care of it (COMB IT!!)... but I've seen more busted up weaves than I can count so I understand why they have a bad rep.

Everybody weaves these days though, it's no biggie....I think they're fun..
smile.gif

I think that as long as it is not glued in it can be not too damaging to the hair. I had a sewed in curly weave a couple of years back and nothing happened to my hair. I didn't keep it in that long though, only 2 weeks so maybe that is the difference. I have read horror stories about glued in weaves on LHCF so maybe you should stay away from glued in weaves.

I've worn them and love em. I will be wearing them nonstop (probably) from June 04--->June 05. Just make sure it is sewn in and not glued and don't try to hang on to it too long, and take care of your hair. You should be fine.

cutebajangirl, how long is too long to wear a weave? I'm thinking of getting one soon. How long is your hair now? I wish I was disciplined enough to wear weaves for a year straight, but it sounds like a good hair growth plan.

My hair is 3 inches from bra strap or about 15 inches I think (root to tip). I don't really have a choice I am gonna be really busy next year and I can't style worth a lick and I'd rather try out the curling iron on the weave hair and not mine.

I had a sewn in one in high school, but i didn't really know how to take care of my hair under it. My friend across the streets sister did it for me and it looked sooooo good and natural....I'll see if I can dig up a pic this weekend and post it. I wish my friend's sister could do it again, she only charged me $25!!! But we've since lost touch.

How do you take care of your real hair underneath while wearing a weave? Can you have a realistic looking weave, w/o leaving any of your hair out (mine in high school had some of my hair out to blend with it)?

TIA for your answers.
smile.gif

I wear natural curly looking ones. One time, I had a straight Yaki one but I purchased the wrong brand of hair, and it kept tangling.
nono.gif
I generally only leave mine in 3-4 weeks at a time. I don't wear them that often because it's so laboring (I do my own). You can try instant weaves for fun if you want something quick and inexpensive.

$25! Woah, Kenesha. You've got the best hook ups!

I have the same questions about weaves that you guys have. I don't want a superlong weave. I want one that is a few inches longer than mine(22 inches from hairline). I just want to give my locks a break from stress without having to go the braid route this time. And I'm gonna do a search to find out more about how to care for the hair beneath.

Am I correct in my thinking that a white person's extensions requires a different procedure for attaching the hair?

I've worn a weave and I must say if done corectly you get phenomenal growth with no damage. I used to have mine washed once a week and roller set. A word of caution; my stylist said it was ok to leave it in for three months. I left it in four 11 weeks and got 5 inches of growth and my hairline back but ended up cutting the new growth (5 in.) plus 7 inches due to matting on my crown/locing. I only cut the crown off and allowed the rest of the hair to stay but it was a disaster only because it was in to long and I had a lot of growth. My recommendation is to leave it in no longer than 8 weeks. Make sure you take each braid out and spray with a detangler as you undo each one. Comb through each braid "THOROUGHLY". You may want to rebraid into sections to avoid massive tangling and knotting when washing. The hair that was braided has a tendency to coil and knot when you wet it after removing a weave. I learned the hard way.

I've wanted a weave for the longest to change it up, give my hair a rest, etc. But my hair is au naturale, and most hair for weaving is silky in texture (even if it is curly hair, the hair is still silky). Any suggestions on how I can get a natural looking weave so that a small amount of my hair is left out at the top but still blends into the fake hair?

I wore weaves while I was letting my permed hair grow out..

It was great.. It was short and curly my entire head was braided and I wore it for 3 months.. I washed my hair weekly and keep my scalp moisturized.

You def. have to maintain ur natural hair underneath.. your hair shouldn't be dry and breaking while your taking a break from it.

Do you want a straight weave? If not, you can try Bohemian type curls (Beverly Johnson makes a nice one known as "Tight Jerry"), which start to frizz after a while. The frizz makes the weave look even more natural, since the curls are small. Kinda like a twist-out. I love wearing these types because it looks natural and there's no fuss - just shake and go really. My newgrowth blends well with it. DO NOT buy Janet Collection's brand of Bohemian weave. The wefts (the things you sew onto your cornrows) were so skinny and wiry, a cheap mess. I don't know if all their other types of weaving hair have those messed up wefts too. But, the hair looked pretty though.
laugh.gif

This looks like what I'm talking about.
http://hisandher.com/store/shop_product.asp?main=MAIN_001&sub=SUB_011&pro=1

[ QUOTE ]
inkysphinx said:
I've wanted a weave for the longest to change it up, give my hair a rest, etc. But my hair is au naturale, and most hair for weaving is silky in texture (even if it is curly hair, the hair is still silky). Any suggestions on how I can get a natural looking weave so that a small amount of my hair is left out at the top but still blends into the fake hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for Netta1's album she has a natural looking weave.
smile.gif
http://public.fotki.com/Netta1/

Y'all remember when Bey had that natural weave back in 2001/2002? (She said it was her hair, but I think some of it was weave...) I would LOVE something like that.

[ QUOTE ]
inkysphinx said:
thanks ladies.

Karonica, do you just gel your own natural hair over the tracks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only leave a little tiny bit out in the front, just enough to cover the track in front of my head. I don't have to worry about the sides too much because the curls conceal those, but to be on the safe side, I leave a little out over there too. If I want some slickness, I may add a little gel to the newgrowth, but other than that, I just comb it over the track and pin it down under the curls and then fluff the curls in that area for extra coverage. I don't have to worry about the track showing if the weft of the hair matches my hair. I can use one of the curls to cover it up if I have to. I know some tricks.
laugh.gif

Back