Tangling on wash day

janaq2003

My hair tangles like crazy on wash day from 6 wks post on.....What can I do to stop this from happening because I lose alot of hair trying to detangle!

what type of poo are you using? i only use elasta qp creme conditioning poo or the old creme of nature
1 use poo with aloy of slip exp. creamy shampoo with no sulfates, silicones in the ingredients side note does your poo have protein in it?
2 try detangling your hair dry b4 you wash then make six to eight braids depending on length then secure the ends with little hair bands or rubber bands then wet hair in shower and add a little poo to scalp only massage a little do each section then rinse the suds will run down the rest of the hair so you can gently squeeze each braid an you rinse repeat if needed then take out each band and add conditioner to each section either comb with a shampoo comb or finger comb each section if you want pin up each section(or rebraid loosely and put band back on) sit under warm dryer OR wet a hand towel with hot water squeeze then wrap head and put on cap while you shower when your done rinse and i find that creamy leave ins help to detangle better this has helped me so much thanks to the ladies on this board

How are you shampooing it? I find that shampooing in the simplest way possible helps cut down on tangling. Only shampooing the scalp(unless I need to clarify), shampooing in the shower with the water rinsing down in the direction that my hair goes, and absolutely none of that piling hair atop my head and lathering up like they do in commercials. That is just asking for tangles.:nono:

The things that have helped me to reduce tangles on wash day are:

1. Detangling my hair before I wash it

2. Washing my hair in sections

3. Diluting the shampoo w/ water and applying it to my scalp from an applicator bottle

4. Fingercombing my hair after I wash it

5. Not using an excess amount of shampoo-it wasn't until I started applying shampoo from my applicator bottle that I realized I was using more than I needed

I did a post on detangling with dry hair. I'll come back and post what I did in a min. But make sure you are shampooing your hair properly and not doing anything to add more tangles. You also may want to try a moisturizing detangling shampoo/condish. Prepooing with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango cholest. and EVOO overnight or a few hours helps me a lot.

ETA: Here is my post from the other thread on detangling on dry hair. I hadn't detangled my hair in 2 weeks and this helped tremendously!

So at first I moisturized my hair a lot with HS 14 in 1 (I didn't wanna use up my NTM lol) and then sprayed Silken Child detangler in random places at the top and middle of my hair. I put on my scarf and let it sit for about an hour or so. Then I went back and sectioned my hair off, applied more HS/SC as necessary and detangled with my Jilbere comb from ends to start of the demarc. line.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! It detangled soooo smoothly and I didn't lose a lot of hair at all! Usually I lose much more once a week on wash day :perplexed

Last edited:
Back