Tangling midshaft

VelvetRain

I'm clueless as to what is going on with my hair. All was well til I moved to a much hotter climate a year ago. None of my regular hair products work anymore. I've used Kenra MConditioner for almost 10 years as a deep conditioner as well as Sexy Hair soy tri wheat leave in as a detangle. Periodic olive oil treatments and 8 week protein treatments with Dudley's drc 28. Every other week I use joico reconstructer. I can no longer detangle my hair soaking wet and it becomes matted and a tangled mess not at the ends but midshaft. My hair is armpit length now but if I can't work thorough what is happening I'm tempted to cut it although that may not solve the problem. Any advice? There would be a time that if left on long enough as a deep condition any conditioner would cause slip to detangle. I swear my products have been re formulated.

I get tangles at midshaft and the roots of my hair.
It sucks bc I cannot find many threads on the issue.

Normally people complain about tangles on the ends.

When I've had "Tangling" Mid-Shaft, it's because I didn't properly/fully detangle root to tip and I allowed my hair to dry without thoroughly detangling it.

VelvetRain

A hotter climate could mean dryer air and a need for more moisture (you're using a lot of protein and cones).

EDIT: Alternatively, you could be getting build-up from a certain ingredient. My hair now snarls and mats midshaft if I overuse certain cationic surfactants (e.g., behentrimonium-anything, stearakonium chloride-which is actually in Kenra MC). I have no idea why that'd suddenly be the case for your hair, though.

Last edited:
Back