Tangles in Relaxed Hair When Stretching

janeemat

Someone explain to me why the relaxed hair gets so tangled when stretching please. I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with my hair. And I am serious! My hair was nightmare tonight at only 16 wks or is it 14. Whatever...I use all of the necessary steps.....prepoo with oil, washed in 2 sections with a moisturizing poo, (kenra), porosity control for a couple of min, deep cond with Kenra cond, rinse on cool running shower comb through hair, add my leave in's, lacio, salerm 21, mizani therma strength. Now I begin to rollerset carefully handling my hair.....the nightmare begins....tangles, tangles, tangles. Can barely part my hair to roll it. The only reason that I have not relaxed yet is because I was waiting about 4 wks since I put a demi color in my hair. The entire while I'm talking to myself.....this is crazy....why do I put myself through this. I see ladies on here stretching years, and say they don's lose any hair when each week I lose a clob. I need to take a pic of the hair I lost. What's up with that? I really think that I am going back to my wicked ways of relaxing whenever I feel like it. What's the point in going through all of this, wearing a jacked up bun and I have yet to obtain that thick midback hair that I have been trying to achieve for years now. I might as well enjoy my swinging in the wind. And to think that one day I would like to transition to natural.......yeah right.

I can't explain the tangles because I could see if you was asking why you new growth was so unmanageable but the relaxed part all of a sudden getting tangled idk... The amount of hair you loose is because where relaxed and new growth meet is the weakest part because the two textures don't mix and the more new growth the more you have to baby your hair but I'm waiting for the explanation for the tangles. Did you do a protein treatment yet?

I am up on my protein treatments....done all of that. I expect the ng to be a pain in butt, the relaxed hair just should not be like this. I start detangling from ends and work my way down. It's almost like the ng is snatching at the relaxed part as I detangle the ends.

janeemat said:
I am up on my protein treatments....done all of that. I expect the ng to be a pain in butt, the relaxed hair just should not be like this. I start detangling from ends and work my way down. It's almost like the ng is snatching at the relaxed part as I detangle the ends.

O god! Maybe you have a lot of new growth. You still wish to stretch?

O god! Maybe you have a lot of new growth. You still wish to stretch?

The ng is a normal amount. What I wish is that I could comb/rollerset my hair with ease at 4 months post without all of this stress. I have watched you tube vids and it's a breeze for a lot of these ladies. They hold up 2 strands of hair that they have lost and I have a wod. I really don't want to deal with my hair right about now relaxed or anything else. I rolled it on small rollers so that I can blend the ng it hopes it will last a few days. I will decide then if I will get someone to relax it for me or I do it myself.

Do you comb your hair after you wash out your conditioner under the water?it makes combing easier, Dominicans taught me that, because washing and towel drying and combing hair out without combing hair under water produces a lot of breakage for me too

I do everything you have named. My ng and relaxed hair despises each other.....that I am convinced of.:yep:

Hi I'm relaxed. Stretching my relaxer only works if my hair is braided in box braids. Otherwise, 7 weeks maybe the longest. I recall Tracy from KISS stated stretching past a certain time frame does a disservice, so it depends. If its a hassle and your not pleased with style. touch it up.

I found much more success when I started to prepoo with coconut oil and then wash my hair in SIX sections. I clip each section up and wash and condition them separately. My hair laughed at two to four sections but six sections works even at 16 weeks. I do my daughter who is natural like this too and it makes our sessions much more pleasant.

My hair used to be like that before I got pregnant. I was 20/21 and my hair would stick together when wet. I went natural because of the pain of combing my hair :(
Total opposite of why people go natural. THey usually relax to make it easier, BUT THE TANGLES would kill me. ONly one conditioner would work and finding it was HARD. Creme of nature green bottle was my help as a shampoo. I was between a rock and a hard place. I shaved it off with the smallest blade on the clipper and my hair has never been the same! It never tangled like that again even when I relaxed years later.

I feel your pain, sorry I don't have real answers.

My hair used to be like that before I got pregnant. I was 20/21 and my hair would stick together when wet. I went natural because of the pain of combing my hair :(
Total opposite of why people go natural. THey usually relax to make it easier, BUT THE TANGLES would kill me. ONly one conditioner would work and finding it was HARD. Creme of nature green bottle was my help as a shampoo. I was between a rock and a hard place. I shaved it off with the smallest blade on the clipper and my hair has never been the same! It never tangled like that again even when I relaxed years later.

I feel your pain, sorry I don't have real answers.

Yes! It's like my hair is sticking together. I don't get this and I'm at wits end. I just can't imagine shaving my head.....at not now.

I found much more success when I started to prepoo with coconut oil and then wash my hair in SIX sections. I clip each section up and wash and condition them separately. My hair laughed at two to four sections but six sections works even at 16 weeks. I do my daughter who is natural like this too and it makes our sessions much more pleasant.

My prepoo is amla/coconut oil. My hair is not thick. I have washed in 4 sections in the past. In the shower I can comb through with running water and my hair feels soft. But we all know that a shower comb is really doing nothing for tangles when it comes to roller setting.

Hi I'm relaxed. Stretching my relaxer only works if my hair is braided in box braids. Otherwise, 7 weeks maybe the longest. I recall Tracy from KISS stated stretching past a certain time frame does a disservice, so it depends. If its a hassle and your not pleased with style. touch it up.

I really think I'm doing a disservice at this point. I have been gathering my hair after each wash for the last 3 wks.....:nono:.....it's not good. Last week's wash was less hair and so I repeated the same regi this week to no avail. My niece has my camera now, but I'm planning to post pics of my hair lost with each wash/comb out so we can discuss.

Yes! It's like my hair is sticking together. I don't get this and I'm at wits end. I just can't imagine shaving my head.....at not now.

NO Don't shave it off :giggle: I was so tired of the comb :nono: my scalp was tired of the pain, and it was my way out.

THe setting lotion doesn't help any?

I'm texlaxed & I stretch 16-20 weeks & my hair gets EXTREMELY tangled.

This thing SAVED MY LIFE. I love it so much, I ordered another one just in case the one I have breaks or they stop selling it. It's a chargeable electric detangler. It does all of the work for you, removes shed hair & it doesn't cause breakage. It costs less than $10, so don't even take my word for it. Just buy one & try it out. It will change ya life! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JI9JYQ

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NO Don't shave it off :giggle: I was so tired of the comb :nono: my scalp was tired of the pain, and it was my way out.

THe setting lotion doesn't help any?

I guess it helps some just like the leave ins. But it still took me 2 hrs flat to roll my hair. The end result was lot's of hair lost. My thing is if other ladies 8 and 9 months post don't lose this much hair, why do I. I have not jumped on any band wagons just a pretty normal routine. I stopped my midweek cowash because of this......which I only bun then. You should see the amount of hair lost for that week. The hair is less by wetting it just once a week...but still.

I was having the same problem. I found that doing the oil rinses was a no go for me :nono:. It caused me to have more tangles & knots. For my hair it thrives on moisture. So I have been applying a light conditioner (not a dc), like suave or crece pelo to my hair the night before my dc and I bagging over night. Then the next day I dc for an hour and then cowash.

Since I've been doing this, I have better slipage and I am actually enjoying my stretching. I've stopped doing my protein treatments b/c my hair always feel rough. But once I get my relaxer, I plan on doing a hard protein and then light proteins for about a month or two. And then switch back to moisture.

I guess it helps some just like the leave ins. But it still took me 2 hrs flat to roll my hair. The end result was lot's of hair lost. My thing is if other ladies 8 and 9 months post don't lose this much hair, why do I. I have not jumped on any band wagons just a pretty normal routine. I stopped my midweek cowash because of this......which I only bun then. You should see the amount of hair lost for that week. The hair is less by wetting it just once a week...but still.

Are you stressed out, how is your diet? You look very fit, is the exercising (if I am assuming right) taking too much from your body at this point? the body changes, so even things that worked before can all of a sudden, not work.

Do you get hair loss all year round?
just during these past few months?
YOu clarified?
when things were working right, what were you using?
what did you change? even the small things

14 or 16 weeks!!!! Girl, gon head and relax! If I make it to 15 weeks I'm doing good! I can't take it after that. :nono:

Anyhoo, frequent cowashing and light daily combing helps me to keep the tangles in check whilst stretching.

I was never able to stretch past 3 months until I tried something that some may say is controversial.

I would get mats and knots and it felt like my hair was like velcro. When I detangled it would tangle right back up. I was making multiple posts here about my knot-prone hair, very discouraged because nothing anyone mentioned worked.

I tried something new in January and I was able to stretch for 5 months with NO tangles or mats. I barely had some tangles around the 5th month, but I was way past due for a relaxer then. If I had relaxed at 4 I would have been fine!

Anyway here is what I did

1) Chicoro Prepoo for one hour ( Aloe Vera Juice applied to hair and scalp, then a light oil I use Argan oil, then melted Coconut Oil)

2) But about 2 tablespoons of Borax (you can find that at the grocery store) in a cup, dilute it with warm water and pour over hear. Stroke roots in one directions, section by section. I am CONVINCED that Borax melts tangles and mats like none other. I tried my routine with it and I was back to tangles. The moment I massaged it into my hair the tangles went away.

3) Rinse all off with water with the hose from the sink. Stroke in one direction.

4) Apply very moisturizing DC and leave on for an hour and rinse.

I will never ever stop using Borax. It has saved my hair. I get only a fraction of hairs in my comb after using it. It may take a few of these cycles to get to tangle-free, but it worked for me. It is NON stripping and my hair has never taken to moisture so well. I would not use it other than the regi I mentioned, but give it a search here and a google on the net and see what you can find. Try if all else fails. I originally tried it for itchy scalp and found out it works so well for tangle prone hair.

I hope this helps.

Are you stressed out, how is your diet? You look very fit, is the exercising (if I am assuming right) taking too much from your body at this point? the body changes, so even things that worked before can all of a sudden, not work.

Do you get hair loss all year round?
just during these past few months? If I do long stretches...that's why I stopped stretching.
YOu clarified? Ususally monthly
when things were working right, what were you using? I cowashed and bunned for 8 weeks---March and April low manipulation with no problem....except looking a little jacked up at times.
what did you change? even the small things

Stress could be the factor here! The 1st of May a family issue arose and I have been dwelling on that a lot. I have been taking a mild anixety pill for it....really mild....05 and breaking it in half. Wow! I need to get it together before I end up bald! Oh my.....I need to pray and move on. So this could really be a contributing factor here. But with that said this has been a problem this hair thing for awhile now. That's why I started doing the cowashes/poo and bunning because of hair loss once I get a good bit of ng. I just took a break from rollersetting. I have mentioned in several threads that my hair has gotten thinner on this journey.

14 or 16 weeks!!!! Girl, gon head and relax! If I make it to 15 weeks I'm doing good! I can't take it after that. :nono:

Anyhoo, frequent cowashing and light daily combing helps me to keep the tangles in check whilst stretching.

Oh Sunnieb where have you been! I was in distressed last night:lachen:! I am rethinking my plan right now. I so wanted to stretch longer just to see if I could possibly ever transition by a long stretch:nono:. I think I am just going to relax next week to get the same texture so this ng and relaxed hair stop fighting. Then I am going to cowash and bun again for the rest of the summer to see how my hair reacts. I need to gain some thickess back. In the past when I did stretch 5-6 months it was during the cooler months.

SmileyNY said:
I'm texlaxed & I stretch 16-20 weeks & my hair gets EXTREMELY tangled.

This thing SAVED MY LIFE. I love it so much, I ordered another one just in case the one I have breaks or they stop selling it. It's a chargeable electric detangler. It does all of the work for you, removes shed hair & it doesn't cause breakage. It costs less than $10, so don't even take my word for it. Just buy one & try it out. It will change ya life! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JI9JYQ

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SmileyNY You done did it now... I gotta try this!

I have heard nothing but good things about chicora's prepoo. I need to try this. Ladies thanks for chiming in on this. I came real close to doing something bad to my hair last night:yep:.....I have had 1/2 inch of hair before.

It sounds to me like your shed hair is taking over. I would suggest detangling and getting the shed hair out before you wash. Do a pre-poo of coconut oil or your favorite conditioner and then detangle. Then wash your hair, works like a charm for me.

Back