Taking Pictures in the Mirror

Country gal

I have so many pictures of me attempting to take pictures in the mirror. How do you ladies do it and make it look so good?

My boyfriends camera has a screen that I can flip out and spin around so that I can see what what's going on behind me in the mirror.

I wish I had someone to take my pictures. I waste about 30 shots trying to get the perfect picture. I dont have the support to ask anybody.

Country gal said:
I have so many pictures of me attempting to take pictures in the mirror. How do you ladies do it and make it look so good?

Girl I am trying to figure it out too but felt too dumb to even ask!! (i just end up taking pics of everything else except my hair most of the time)

krissyprissy said:
I wish I had someone to take my pictures. I waste about 30 shots trying to get the perfect picture. I dont have the support to ask anybody.

Exactly. I waste about 30 shots trying to get 1 or 2 pics right.

It's oh so hard, but of course a digital camera helps because you can erase the bad shots. I like to hold the camera beside me with no flash, facing the mirror. You can also take the "over the head" shots, but I don't really like those. I just crop out the camera if it's in the picture. My arms and back really hurt afterwards. Well usually when I'm trying to get a length shot while one hand is stretching my hair. :ohwell:

Do a pre-pose to line it up, take the picture, look at it, see that I took a picture of a close up of the back of my ear and some hair, delete it, take another pic holding the camera at a different angle, see that I took a picture of the top of my head, delete, take ANOTHER pic, see that I took a picture of the towel hanger, delete, take ANOTHER pic- FINALLY my hair!!!!
:lol:

Its very hard. Its much easier though if you use a mirror to look at the LCD screen as you take the shot. Even doing it that way takes many tries.

it takes me many tries also. My best pictures are the one I call my hubby in take. lol

mermaid said:
Do a pre-pose to line it up, take the picture, look at it, see that I took a picture of a close up of the back of my ear and some hair, delete it, take another pic holding the camera at a different angle, see that I took a picture of the top of my head, delete, take ANOTHER pic, see that I took a picture of the towel hanger, delete, take ANOTHER pic- FINALLY my hair!!!!

Exactly!!!

mermaid said:
That's pretty much my process too. I've found that the landscape setting helps me get clearer pics, but you have to have the camera aimed at the subject. :lachen:

I use a handheld mirror to see the screen on our digital camera, which shows me and my hair reflected in a larger mirror. No flash. This is the only way I can take decent pics.

I have a digital camera with a rotating LCD screen, but before I got it I was still able to do these shots. I think the trick is that: (1.) When trying to get back shots I hold the camera in vertical position (to the side of me) and snap only one shot. If it's good then I adjust the focus until I have it how I want it to look. If it's bad, I hold the camera further away from me (and tilt it sideways as well) until I get what I want to capture. (2.) If you're taking a frontal shot, hold the camera near your belly button, tilting it upwards so that camera isn't in the mirror (just aimed at it), and you're focusing on what you want. It helps put things in perspective.

Also, take advantage of your medicine cabinet mirror! It helps! And not using flash is key too!

I hope that made some type of sense..
:look:

Country gal said:

Girl I thought it was just me. :lachen: I wasted a whole role of film trying. They either came out with too much light or you could not see my hair at all. The only have decent photo I got is the one in my siggy and that was from me just snapping the back of my head.

I am going to get a digital camera and just have someone snap photos for me or just do it myself. The mirror thing I could not work.

mermaid said:
This is off topic, but those babies are beautiful!!!:p

i just turn the flash off and hold the camera either slightly above my head or right next to my face....it helps to turn the camera vertical instead of horizontal also. that way you're not blocking your hair. just play around w/ different angles and you'll get it.

PerfectDoak said:
You could try using the self timer if your camera has one.
I have one. I thought most digital camaras now have timers. A timer is nice because then you can forget about the mirror all together and just have a "picture taking" spot. My spot where I know the light is fine is the bathroom...that's where all the magic happens...lol

Country gal said:
I wasted about 30 shots. I can't fiqure it out.

BB- Your hair looks great. It is so long. :grin:

Thanks!:)

I am going to read through these posts very carefully and I should be able to take a perfect pic b/c the ladies have given some great tips!

I'm glad you posted this Country gal cuz I seriously thought I was the only one. I can take like 35 pics and have 2 or 3 be decent enough to put up. I got so frustrated I just use my web cam now. I'm too embarassed to ask anyone else to do it.

Country gal said:
How do you do a webcam? I might try that.
Just download the software that comes with the webcam and plug it into the USB thing (I think that's what it's called) and you should be good to go. It's easy. If I can do it I'm sure you can. Some of them have timers on them so it's easy to get the back of your head with those but I can't find one on mine so I can't do back shots.

krissyprissy said:

Your hair is pretty... I love it...

When I take pics of the back of my head I look at the lcd screen in the mirror then I position the camera for the perfect shot....works every time ;)

I get my hand held mirror, position myself based on the hand held view reflected in the big mirror then take about 4 shots which need deletion before getting it right.

Bumping this is great information.

I have been trying to take my January picture and I can't get a back shot but I'm going to try some of these suggestions.

Back