Taking down braids = Breakage

LightEyedMami

Im a natural and have had my braids in for a month (mainly because of laziness) well now the new growth is TOO much so i will be taking them down tomorrow BUT the problem is i always end up getting bad breakage when i take down my braids :nono:, What is the best way to take them down with little to no breakage???

u can oil them down with motions marula oil, it comes with a spray pump for easy handling, very simple and effective.
Saturate your scalp and hair with it volla.

that's just my advice per-se.....

You can use Dark and Lovely ouchless detangler (beautiful beginnings. It's for kids, but it works well for knots and tangles)(bought it at walgreens).

You can use oil

You can use takedown it's actually a product for taking down braids. Some people find it in sally's but it can also be bought online. Depending on how you order it, you can get it in a couple days or by a week.

http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/takedown8oz.html

After you take your braids out, before you wash your hair, you need to detangle. Make sure you use a conditioner to detangle, so that the shed hair doesnt get mixed up with the other hair.:yep: If you skip that step you may lose a lot of hair and have a lot of breakage from a big tangled mess.:nono:

HTH

I should add the takedown works excellent for matted hair. You saturate the braid and wait some minutes for it to work before unravelling. I'm in braids, I was just about to order some more for me, as I'm about to take down my braids as well.

i just took some small braids down and i used braid spray and i coated each braid before take down with conditioner. i didn't use a comb either. it took a long time, but i didn't have breakage or a tangled mess.

I always use braid spray or detangler. I start taking the braid down with the tip of a comb, but once it's started I only use my fingers, and I unravel them like I'm un-braiding it rather than raking my fingers through it.

Once the braid is out I gently finger comb the section, and that gets a lot of the shed hair out off the jump.

After you take your braids out, before you wash your hair, you need to detangle. Make sure you use a conditioner to detangle, so that the shed hair doesnt get mixed up with the other hair.:yep: If you skip that step you may lose a lot of hair and have a lot of breakage from a big tangled mess.:nono:

HTH

Co sign. Whatever product you use to help aid it, needs to be on the braids, (for instance oil or take down) and then you unravel, and detangle BEFORE washing. Use your fingers first to work out the knots, then a wide comb, and if necessary a fine comb (I don't like using them and if you use the takedown product right you shouldn't have to because the tangles, knots, and possible matting should slip right out)

When I take down my braids it's right after I have washed my hair with braids in. Out of all the different ways I have tried this works best for me...and it's cheap to wash condition and towel dry your hair to damp before your take down.

I spray it with water and oil mixture and make sure it's alittle damp (not dripping wet). There's hardly any hair (except shed hair) while taking the braids down.

maybe thats what i was doing wrong i always detangle after i get out the shower not before (because im natural so i thought my hair should be wet while detangling) should i spray it witha spray bottle at least i can't imagine detangling on completely dry hair.

For me, if I wet it in the shower, I let it dry about 85% of the way, then take braids down. Otherwise, spraying it should work too.

I've taken down braids dry when relaxed, but now that I'm natural, I lose too much hair taking them down any other way than damp.

maybe thats what i was doing wrong i always detangle after i get out the shower not before (because im natural so i thought my hair should be wet while detangling) should i spray it witha spray bottle at least i can't imagine detangling on completely dry hair.

I'm natural too, and I transitioned in micros. When I remove the braid I use my fingers to pull apart the new growth...I never had to do it with a comb. I'd just gently work my fingers through that little section's newest growth until the shed hairs came loose. Once everything is loose, I go on to the next section and do my entire head that way. Then wash in 4 sections with conditioner, comb thru while under the water, etc, etc.

The one time I didn't detangle before washing, I had to cut sections of hair. Not cute.

I like to deep condition or moisturize heavily a few days before takedown. This way, the hair is moisturized underneath, the the breakage seems to happen when your hair is dry underneath.

Last edited:
I use Better Braids Unbraid Spray to take out my braids. It also helps if you've kept your hair moisturized while the braids were in your hair. That really helps with reducing breakage & tangles.

I too have had this problem, but I remember I wasn't taking my time to comb my hair out thoroughly. Now I do....and I also keep them oil and moisturized daily. Good Luck....baby those ends girl!!!

Back