Taking down braids after three years

ladylibra said:
i guess the best way to decided is by understanding WHY she wants to relax. if she is going to stay in braids, i don't really see why she should relax. however, if she's wanting to wear her hair in straight styles more often, then yes, i think it makes more sense to relax.

i was very active in high school too... marching band, pep band, winter guard, track and field, and dance. i had relaxed/textlaxed hair, which i attempted to wear straight most of the time... meaning i used heat EVERY SINGLE DAY on my hair. :perplexed hence why by the time i neared APL my hair was full of dry, nasty split ends and i'd do a major chop every spring. something to think about if she is going to relax...

both options have their pros and cons. tell her to weigh them carefully before deciding... :look:

Doing this post really gave me a chance to ask alot of questions and figure out what her intent is. She said she's just tired of the braids (which I totally understand). She said she want's it texlaxed because she likes the wavy look that my hair has. She said she knows about heat from all the years of our hair being broke off before we knew how to care for it. I also asked her if she intended on going back to the braids she said not right away. She's said she is looking forward to ponytails and messy buns and daily con-washes like I do. The crazy think I didn't really think about until I talked with her is that her long (waist length) braids are kind of a signature for her. Everybody knows her by her braids. When we go to games other coaches and players, parents and reporters know her by the braids. I asked her if she understood this and she said she "yes".

kristina said:
protein is good because continuous braids tend to thin the hair and make the strands weaker. but please make sure you do a strand test to a small patch of hair before you apply the chemicals all over. you don't want to find out the hard way (as I once did) that chemicals make weakened hair break off as if you had put nair on your head. wait awhile to see if the section starts to break or has any other issues.

Good looking out on the stand test. We'll prabably have to do several.

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Everybody knows her by her braids. When we go to games other coaches and players, parents and reporters know her by the braids. I asked her if she understood this and she said she "yes".

Do u do her braids...what is her regimen while she has them???

Yes I do her braids now. I learned about 6 months ago (got mad at old braider). Her regimen is very simple. Generally I braid her hair with the extensions back away from her face and into whatever style I come up with. She washes her hair with the braids in 2 or 3 times week or more. She uses the shampoo and conditioner. Both get rinsed out very well because of the force of our shower. I try to redo them monthly no later that every 6 weeks. She doesn’t put oils or greases on her hair. Using grease and oils makes your hair smell bad and have product build up when you take the braids down. The only think she uses is the Royal braid spray in the morning. To keep the hair looking fairly decent, she sprays on the braid spray and then uses the scarf method to smooth down new growth. She faithfully sleeps in satin head scarves. She takes a daily Centrum and 3 supplements pills that contain calcium, magnesium & zinc. Lots of water and exercise.

I have to edit this I asked her about conditioning and she said she doesn't use conditioner anymore because it gets trapped in her braids. So she just washes, drip dry, apply braid spray and use scarf.

Last edited:
'Kay, my mom would always try to get me in braids in high school and college and I refused most of the time. Even though my hair was short most of the time (hey, I didn't know about LHCF until last year!), I was VERY happy wearing my hair out and I know wearing braids would have made me feel differently about myself. I think she's young and wants to experiment, try new things out - plus, she's probably excited to see what she'll look like. I say if letting her take her hair out and wear it down every once in awhile is going to lead to her feeling better about herself, I say go for it.

Anyway, I would suggest texlaxing as well. I exercise 4-5 days a week and I am texlaxed. When I work out, I put my hair up in a ponytail. The only days I wear it down are the days I'm not working out and even then I usually only wear it down at nights. You shouldn't convince her to stay natural - convince her to wear her hair down only "for special occassions" so that way, she'll be protecting the ends most of the time.

How about trying two strand twist when she is activies and when she wants to wear it down she can do beautiful twist outs like poohbears.

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Doing this post really gave me a chance to ask alot of questions and figure out what her intent is. She said she's just tired of the braids (which I totally understand). She said she want's it texlaxed because she likes the wavy look that my hair has. She said she knows about heat from all the years of our hair being broke off before we knew how to care for it. I also asked her if she intended on going back to the braids she said not right away. She's said she is looking forward to ponytails and messy buns and daily con-washes like I do. The crazy think I didn't really think about until I talked with her is that her long (waist length) braids are kind of a signature for her. Everybody knows her by her braids. When we go to games other coaches and players, parents and reporters know her by the braids. I asked her if she understood this and she said she "yes".

that is completely understandable... 3 years of continuously being in braids would make me tired of them too! :lol:

i think textlaxed would be the way to go... and if she's not planning to straighten with heat every day like my ignorant butt was doing :look: i think it would work. i always did wash and go's over the summer and didn't relax or straighten until school started back up... so my hair was in the best shape during that time of year.

her braids were her signature, but it sounds like she is a promising young athlete... i bet she's established enough that they'll still know and love her without the braids. :grin:

I think texlaxing would be a great option for her. Your daughter sounds like she is ready to care for her hair outside of braids, so I say go for it! Good luck to both of you!:)

I really appreciate everyones opinion on this topic. You guys were very sweet and understanding. This really opened up a door for a good old fashion momma/daughter talk. I am so greatful for you guys.

her braids were her signature, but it sounds like she is a promising young athlete... i bet she's established enough that they'll still know and love her without the braids. :grin:[/quote]

Tell the truth. Ineed to keep it in prospective. She's 6' 2" and only 135lb (the poor baby need some hips), I am sure she will still be recognized.:lol:

I can understand being tired of the braids - I've been doing it since December and have to pep talk myself each time I redo.

Whether she decides to stay natural, texlax, or relax, not being in braids will give you the opportunity to teach her how to take care of her hair herself. Sounds like she's going to be a college athlete - she will need to know how to do it for herself with no help from mom - now is the time to learn. I think it is possible to maintain her length regardless of what she decides, but she will certainly need a month or so of deep protein and moisture to prepare her hair for chemicals. She will need to know how to do these when she is no longer at home as well - again, this is a good time for her to learn while you are right there with her to offer guidance.

It may turn out that she loves it and it may turn out that it's so much work given all of her other activities, that she'll opt for braids again or a different natural style.

Please post pics so we can see.

newflowers said:
I can understand being tired of the braids - I've been doing it since December and have to pep talk myself each time I redo.

Whether she decides to stay natural, texlax, or relax, not being in braids will give you the opportunity to teach her how to take care of her hair herself. Sounds like she's going to be a college athlete - she will need to know how to do it for herself with no help from mom - now is the time to learn. I think it is possible to maintain her length regardless of what she decides, but she will certainly need a month or so of deep protein and moisture to prepare her hair for chemicals. She will need to know how to do these when she is no longer at home as well - again, this is a good time for her to learn while you are right there with her to offer guidance.

It may turn out that she loves it and it may turn out that it's so much work given all of her other activities, that she'll opt for braids again or a different natural style.

Please post pics so we can see.

Wise words, will do.

Back