synthetic hair vs human hair: alergic reaction?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I am just wondering..has anyone experienced ecessive itching or breakouts when wearing kanekalon or tyokolon synthetic braids? If so, o you notice this stop after you switched to human hair? Just wondering.....I am wondering if I am alergic to these fibers because I do itch alot and I notice that I sometimes get breakouts after wearing them for a while and they have been worn down in a way that s near the sides of my face. I have worn monofiber before, which is a type of synthetic fiber that is used for heat sealed, loose extensions (not meant for braids...roughly $26-$30/pack), and I do not recall having this problem dispite wearing my hair down all the time. I have not worn human hair in years. Any ideas?

Edit: I also noticed that when I wear silk, satin OR coton scarves, I will get breakouts (whether or not I am sporting braids or a non-extension style underneath). This does not hapen if I wear a satin cap, but them thangs always fall off...lol

Last edited:
I used to itch like crazy before too but now I always wash my synthetic hair before I use it.

First I soak it in water and vinegar for 15 minutes.
The water is always a yucky hue of brown due to all the chemicals in the hair.
Then I use shampoo and let it drip dry over night.

No problems since!

hmmmm....do you only do this with kanekalon hair? I normally use pony hair made from toyokalon and that stuff tends to tangle something awful if water touches it.....I dont usually have that problem wih kenekalon but its hard to find my color in kanekalon.....

PittGirl06 said:
I am just wondering..has anyone experienced ecessive itching or breakouts when wearing kanekalon or tyokolon synthetic braids? If so, o you notice this stop after you switched to human hair? Just wondering.....I am wondering if I am alergic to these fibers because I do itch alot and I notice that I sometimes get breakouts after wearing them for a while and they have been worn down in a way that s near the sides of my face. I have worn monofiber before, which is a type of synthetic fiber that is used for heat sealed, loose extensions (not meant for braids...roughly $26-$30/pack), and I do not recall having this problem dispite wearing my hair down all the time. I have not worn human hair in years. Any ideas?

Edit: I also noticed that when I wear silk, satin OR coton scarves, I will get breakouts (whether or not I am sporting braids or a non-extension style underneath). This does not hapen if I wear a satin cap, but them thangs always fall off...lol

I do and to lessen that, I wash the hair in a diluted shampoo and air dry three days before I get my hair braided.

Yes, I had a horrible allergic reaction to those synthetic hair brands. My scalp was itchy and flaking like crazy. I didn't have a problem with human hair though.

hmmm...ok...I will have to try that and if that dos not work I will have to either get human hair or get loose hair extensions like I had before. thanks.

Back