Switching from lye to no-lye to lye....and back to no-lye!

Wishin4BSL

I'm just waiting for my hair to completely fall out! I haven't used the same brand of relaxer twice since I started my healthy hair journey, but it's all still on my head (thank goodness!). The lye burns and underprocesses me a LOT (not texlaxed, but UNDERPROCESSED!), but it's better for my hair. No-lye doesn't burn, straightens my hair, but I'm afraid it'll be super dry if I continue down the no-lye road. I haven't had problems with dryness with the no-lye, but what if I do have problems later on? I want to try SE lye and ORS lye, but I'm afraid my hair will fall out! Should I go with my sensible instinct or my pj instinct? HELP ladies!!!

:)

If your hair is still on your head (from the looks of your avatar) you have a healthy head of hair.. I would say that it didn't matter what brand/type of relaxer that you use because you are only applying it to the new growth.
My last relaxer was a soft and beautiful no-lye.. before that was Just for me no-lye... I am now stretching my relaxers to every 12 weeks.. so my next relaxer is due next week.. which I will be using ORS no-lye (because of the raves of this board):) :)

however I do want to stick with just one relaxer so I know where you are coming from. But it's hard to stick with just one brand when u see so many ladies on this site using so many promising products that I feel compelled to run out and buy:D . So i guess deep down I can be a pj too !!

Last edited:
Wishin4BSL said:
I'm just waiting for my hair to completely fall out! I haven't used the same brand of relaxer twice since I started my healthy hair journey, but it's all still on my head (thank goodness!). The lye burns and underprocesses me a LOT (not texlaxed, but UNDERPROCESSED!), but it's better for my hair. No-lye doesn't burn, straightens my hair, but I'm afraid it'll be super dry if I continue down the no-lye road. I haven't had problems with dryness with the no-lye, but what if I do have problems later on? I want to try SE lye and ORS lye, but I'm afraid my hair will fall out! Should I go with my sensible instinct or my pj instinct? HELP ladies!!!

I would stick with what's working for YOU, there's going to be alot of raves about different products but you need to stick with what works for you. Me, myself, I saw the other thread about the ORS lye relaxer and I'm VERY curious but I know that ORS no -lye works for me so that's what I'm going to stick with....do what works for you. JMO:) I get the urges myself..recovering pj:look: myself, when someone rave about a product and add that to my list and then a few minutes later I take it off my list because I made a promise to stick with what works for me:) keep doing what working for you...JMO of course:)

tsmith said:
I would stick with what's working for YOU, there's going to be alot of raves about different products but you need to stick with what works for you. Me, myself, I saw the other thread about the ORS lye relaxer and I'm VERY curious but I know that ORS no -lye works for me so that's what I'm going to stick with....do what works for you. JMO:) I get the urges myself..recovering pj:look: myself, when someone rave about a product and add that to my list and then a few minutes later I take it off my list because I made a promise to stick with what works for me:) keep doing what working for you...JMO of course:)

this is what is hard.. sticking to what works! but I am determined to do it. I am going to try ORS no-lye on my next touch up b/c I like no-lye..it makes my hair feel thicker and softer as opposed to lye which made my hair feel thinner and not as soft. But bottom line.. each to her own:) If I like ORS no lye on my next touch up then I will stick with this.:) ;) :p

Hi Wishin4BSL,

I think, if no-lye is working for you that you should keep using it. You know how to care for your relaxed hair and how to keep it moisturized. IMHO, maintaining the brand of relaxer is not as important as maintaining the type of relaxer.

I have used no-lye for years and am not having adverse affects, especially now that I know how to keep it from drying out. (I didn't even know that no-lye relaxers were "supposedly more drying" than lye relaxers until a few months ago when I started my journey.) I've wondered whether switching might be helpful, but I am more concerned about keeping my scalp burn-free and healthy and I'm confident that I can reach my goals with what I am doing now.

I'm sure there are ladies, with the length you aspire to, who are successfully using no-lye.

BTW, your hair is beautiful and you are so close to bra-strap length! Soon you are going to have to change your name to Wishin4WL. :)

InnerSoul said:
this is what is hard.. sticking to what works! but I am determined to do it. I am going to try ORS no-lye on my next touch up b/c I like no-lye..it makes my hair feel thicker and softer as opposed to lye which made my hair feel thinner and not as soft. But bottom line.. each to her own:) If I like ORS no lye on my next touch up then I will stick with this.:) ;) :p

I hear ya, it was hard for me when I first joined but I was able to find what works for me and I stuck to it...I still get the pj itches...when someone mentions a product, I write it on my list and then a few minutes later I scratch it off, now in my pj days I use to get up and go find it:lachen: or order online. All I'm saying is stick with what's working for YOU:p

tsmith said:
I hear ya, it was hard for me when I first joined but I was able to find what works for me and I stuck to it...I still get the pj itches...when someone mentions a product, I write it on my list and then a few minutes later I scratch it off, now in my pj days I use to get up and go find it:lachen: or order online. All I'm saying is stick with what's working for YOU:p

definitely makes sense..and is probably friendlier on the checkbook:lol: :lachen:

I've done that soo many times. Lye to no lye back to lye then back to no lye.
My hair seems to like no lye and I have been no lye for years no problems. Do what works for your hair:)

Thanks ladies. I will stick to ORS no-lye. *whispers to inner pj, "No, bad, pj, BAD!* :lol: And :lol: @ Royal Glory! I don't think I want WL, but that name won't make much sense when I'm BSL, would it?:perplexed :eek: :lol:

Back