Swimming Conditioners

daviine

I will be in FL this week. Both my aunt and my grandmother have pools. I have read the old threads regarding haircare and swimming. I plan to apply conditioner to my hair before getting in the pool...does it matter which conditioner I choose?

I DO NOT want to buy another one becasue I have so many....here is a short list of what I am considering:
--V05 Creamy Fresh Peaches (Revitalizing w/soy milk proteins)
--VO5 Extra Body Conditioner (w/collagen and keratin amino acids)
--Dove Intense Moisture (silk amino acids--small sample)
--Herbal Essences Conditioner for Dry/Damaged Hair (Hydrolyzed wheat protein-sample)
--Pantene DMR mixed with Smooth and Sleek in a sample sized bottle

Does it matter which one I use?

Thanks in advance----I'm packing now for tomorrow so help a sista out!!!

Hmm...I'd also like to know.
scratchchin.gif
I'll be doing a lot of swimming this summer also.
smile.gif

I suggest the thickest, most coating conditioner you can find. As a kid who spent hours on the beach daily in the summer, you can't go wrong with good ole' cholesterol IMO. The waxy nature of it helps protect those stands like nobody's business. Although I'm not a fan of it as a regular conditioner, I always use this when going to the beach or pool.
FYI, I'm not sure if you plan on using a swimming cap, but they do more harm than good in my opinion. I could never get it to come off with minimal breakage! Just be sure sure to rinse your hair in fresh water as soon as you are out of it, don't allow the chlorine to sit on your hair (or worse yet, while in the sun).
With the humidity/heat combo here, it can't hurt to bring a plastic cap and give yourselve a steam treament while out there
lachen70.gif
though you might get some crazy looks!
Have fun!

[ QUOTE ]
epicura said:
I suggest the thickest, most coating conditioner you can find. As a kid who spent hours on the beach daily in the summer, you can't go wrong with good ole' cholesterol IMO. The waxy nature of it helps protect those stands like nobody's business. Although I'm not a fan of it as a regular conditioner, I always use this when going to the beach or pool.
FYI, I'm not sure if you plan on using a swimming cap, but they do more harm than good in my opinion. I could never get it to come off with minimal breakage! Just be sure sure to rinse your hair in fresh water as soon as you are out of it, don't allow the chlorine to sit on your hair (or worse yet, while in the sun).
With the humidity/heat combo here, it can't hurt to bring a plastic cap and give yourselve a steam treament while out there
lachen70.gif
though you might get some crazy looks!
Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info! I never thought of the plastic cap thing...I WILL be trying that! I'll be in the privacy of my own back yard, so no one will see me
laugh.gif
I was also debating on wearing a cap too, but you're right, those things are TIGHT! It will definitely pull my hair
smile.gif

Don't forget to use some oil along with the conditioner. Conditioners are meant to be rinsed out in water, so you need something that does not mix with water, like oil, to provide a coating on the hair and buffer against all that chlorine. Jojoba oil is light and you won't be looking all greasy. Just a suggestion.

Vaseline would work too, I think. I haven't tried it, but the same principle of oil and water not mixing is in effect. I use jojoba only because I have no vaseline around.

Just don't get any vaseline on your scalp. Petroleum and mineral oils are not good for the scalp, but I am probably telling you something you already know...

Back