Swimmers!!

LDebagoria

What in the world should WE do!? With the summer coming I KNOW I'm going to be swimming every single day!! I swam for most of my childhood, but this was way before I'd ever had a relaxer! Then all I needed was Shampoo Three, some of that green hair grease, and a pony-holder and I was good to go! And my hair grew quite long even with all of the chlorine!
But now, I'm wondering what's going to happen...I will continue to have braids over the summer, but what have other "relaxed" swimmers' results been with growth or damage from the water? HELP! :perplexed

I only swam when forced back in high school. I would always drench my hair with water and conditioner and put on my swimming cap. After swimming I would just rinse out my hair and I was good to go. I didn't suffer any damage.

The premise behind the water and conditioner pre-swimming is that hair can only absorb so much. So if you load it with water and conditioner, it won't be able to absorb any of the chlorine from the pool. Worked for me :) !

When I swan regularly, I would saturate my hair with conditioner a leave in conditioneror with grease and still wear a swim cap. get a cheap conditioner like Suave Coconut $1/bottle. you can focus on your ends.

I will be swimming alot this summer too. I'll be taking swimming lessons for two weeks every month until late Aug. I'm also not sure how to best deal with relaxed hair and that much chlorine. My next touchup is in a week but I don't plan on relaxing again until the fall semester starts. I wonder what the best type of swim cap is and how much water gets under those caps.

I love the beach, pools, water parks and all things sun and water, LOL! My overall favorite is the beach though. I've always saturated my hair with a regular conditioner before any fun in the sun. I never did the swim cap thing but leaving in the conditioner definitely helps, IMO.

scoobygirl said:
I will be swimming alot this summer too. I'll be taking swimming lessons for two weeks every month until late Aug. I'm also not sure how to best deal with relaxed hair and that much chlorine. My next touchup is in a week but I don't plan on relaxing again until the fall semester starts. I wonder what the best type of swim cap is and how much water gets under those caps.

water always seeps in with the cap, but my hair is only damp as opposed to soaking wet.

Back