Swimmers Who Relax

kim1006

I used to swim quite a bit and never put conditioner on my hair prior to swimming but would wash, moisturizer and deep condition afterwords - no harm, no foul. However, I have started swimming again and would like to hear from others how they protect relaxed hair. Lately, I have been: washing, moisturizing, steaming and applying lots of leave in condition after my swim. Thus, at the time of my next swim, my hair is well coated. This is what I did over the weekend: I swam, I washed, I moisturizered, I conditioned and I steamed after each swim. On Sunday, I went to the salon and got a touchup, deep conditioner and wrap. I will wait until Friday morning to swim again.

My hair feels great, but I am wondering if I am being too aggressive with my hair regimen and swimming. I am considering cutting back on my steaming - steam only once a week.

TIA

Last edited:
kim1006

The only advice I have to give is to add a chelating shampoo to your regimen if you are not using it :)

And are you wetting your hair before you swim?. I read somewhere that wetting your hair with non chlorine water saturates the hair so less chlorine gets into the hair.

@kim1006

The only advice I have to give is to add a chelating shampoo to your regimen if you are not using it :)

And are you wetting your hair before you swim?. I read somewhere that wetting your hair with non chlorine water saturates the hair so less chlorine gets into the hair.

Lately, I have been wetting my hair prior to swimming. However, today I forgot.

Back