Sweaty Wet Hair...What to do?

tasha5951

Hi All:)

So, I'm hoping I can get your advice.... I'm relaxed APL. I bun 99% of the time. My problem is that I teach group fitness/dance every night and so my hair is almost constantly wet from sweat or from me cowashing it. I usually cowash on Wednesdays and the do my full wash/detangle/DC on Saturdays. I'm trying to keep heat off my hair for the next 3 months but, I'm thinking that it might not be good for my hair to ALWAYS be wet.

Should I let it airdry each night and then blowdry on cool/warm to make sure it's totally dry? Or should I just wet bun and let it be? (keep in mind, I live in Pennsylvania so it's crazy cold here right now!)

What I do is put my wet hair in a ponytail. Apply a dab of oil mixed with some hair gel and apply to smooth the hair down. Then tie a cotton bandana on. Apply some moisturizer to spritz the ends of my hair and leave the length of the pony tail out to air dry.

(Cotton bandana absorbs the sweat.)

Before bed switch to a silk or satin scarf when most of the extra sweat has been absorbed and twist or braid or bun the ends. This way the bandana won't dry out your hair overnight.

your roots will be smooth in the mornin.

You can blow the roots on cool with a diffuser if the hair near your scalp is still wet before you leave the house in the AM. Just bun it back up again.

That's what I do in winter when I workout or co wash.

Hth

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Some ladies on this board benefit a lot from constant moisture and wet bunning. I think it depends on your hair type. I have fine 3c/4a that is much stronger when it's dry and stretched out. My hair likes wetness/moisture but not too much moisture as this sometimes makes it dull, limp, and not as strong when used in excess.

I think it all depends on your hair type though. I would try to get some dry days in there if you can.

Too much moisture on your scalp can cause itchiness from fungus. I think you should definitely let your hair dry completely each day. If you have to blowdry on cool, do that.

I'm natural and if my hair were in one ponytail it would take DAYS to dry on it own. I think something like 2 french braids or french twists are a good style for drying relaxed hair. You can wear your hair in a messy bun the next day for class.

Last edited:
When I was relaxed, and my hair was soaked with sweat from working out I would leave the window down in the car to let my hair air dry by the time I got home. Since it's winter you can turn the car heater on while you let the window down for your hair to dry. This is what I did and it worked for me. HTH.

Towel off frequently all around your hairline, neck, and face. If you have to keep a face towel hanging out of your pocket, that's cool, too. I do that when I work out. It keeps the excess sweat at bay and helps you to dry off faster.

Back