Surge Has New Improved Formula

LABETT

I was in the Bss today and noticed Surge has change its formula it is labeled in red New and Improved Formula.
I was wondering if anyone has tried the new formula Surge and how does it compare to the original Surge.
I am a huge Surge fan and this is a staple product and they have to go and change the formula.
I picked up a bottle and will try it today if I dont like it I will stock pile with the old formula of Surge.

Last edited:
No I haven't tried it yet. I still have about 4 bottles of the original formula to go through so I guess I will try it at some point.....all in good time.

Besides, I don't think the new formula has hit the shelves yet where I am.

Did you notice any new added ingredients? If not they probably added more of the active ingredients from the old formula.

The ingredients of the original Surge.

Water,Cetrimonium Chloride,Propylene Glycol,Muccopolysaccharides,
Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein,Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein,Polyquatemium-7,
Biotin Fragrance,Methylparaben,Aloe Barbadensis Gel,Propylparaben,Citric Acid,Sodium Pca.

The ingredients new improved formula Surge.

Water,Propylene Glycol,Peg 7,Dimethicone Phthalate,Muccopolysaccharides,
Cetrimonium Chloride,Hydorolyzed Keratin Protein,Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein,Biotin,Polyquatemium-7,Fragrance,Methylparaben,Propylparaben
Sodium Pca,Triethanolamine.

The difference is the new formula added Dimethicone Phthalate,Peg -7,
Triethanolamine and droped the Citric Acid and Aloe Barbadensis Gel.
I will have to see if these new ingredients really makes a difference with my hair.

It looks like with the new ingredients it will be more moisturizing. I'm definitely going to check it out.

I'm always a little skeptical of new & improved formulas. All too often companies reach a critical mass based on the "original formula" and they start to use inferior ingredients and/or substitutes in order to increase their profit margins.

buttafly said:
It looks like with the new ingredients it will be more moisturizing. I'm definitely going to check it out.

That's what I just thought. Apparently the Centimonium chloride was the reason why some people were having allergies to Surge. I see they have moved it further down the list.

Brooke007 said:
I'm always a little skeptical of new & improved formulas. All too often companies reach a critical mass based on the "original formula" and they start to use inferior ingredients and/or substitutes in order to increase their profit margins.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Wow, you ladies know your ingrediants! I'm sitting here like "Dimethi...what??!!" :confused: I might have to check this out and recommend that my local bss start carrying this if it's any different/better than the original formula. Thanks again for the heads up Labett. :)

I agree that they have added ingredients that will make the product more moisturizing and add more shine. However, the active ingredient, muccopolysaccharides (sp?), has moved a little down the list, so I wonder if it will still have the "surge" factor as far as growth compared to the old formula. Anyway, you know I'm about to go check out my local bss's for the new formula :)

I tried the new Surge today and yes it is more moisturizing and it also smell better I think like the moisture aid.
The new bottle also suggest using the moisture aid after spraying with surge for best results but I use my UBH moisturizer.
I will see if I get better result with improved version vs the old surge.

Brooke007 said:
I agree. That's what happened with ORS and countless of other products.

I'm mad that they took the Citric Acid out. I was going to buy some more surge for my braids this month too.. looks like I won't be unless I can find one of the original ones somewhere.

Why the hell would they have to add a cone to it??.. Well, I need to buy more bottles of the old formula....that sucks..:(

I check out a few of my favorite BSS and there is plenty of the old formula left in stock in case I dont like the new one.

I just started using Surge last month and like it so far...I think I'm going to stock up on the original formula before trying out the new one..

I think the new formula takes longer to dry on my scalp than the old formula.
I have found by self using the old surge when in a hurry.

Bumping for LondonDiva.
I am going to start back using the new formula for a month since I just relaxed my hair and see if I get more newgrowth faster than I did with the old surge.

Last edited:
Labett :wave:

Could you post a picture of the new surge for us please. You know I get blinded by all the other hair stuff in the shop and might miss the new surge.:dizzy: (Think of Homer from the Simpsons and his love of doughnuts):drool:

Has anyone noticed any changes with the new Surge? I have braids am hoarding the old formula. Right now, I have 4 bottles. I would love to have the moisture, but I really use Surge for growth.

Back