Surge/breakage

syze6

Hello ladies,
I received my bottle of surge. I shampooed/conditioned my hair and blowdryed. I sprayed the surge on my hair and scalp. Since doing that I have experienced breakage not shedding. Now I have a lot of broken stands.
mad.gif
How should I care for the broken strands and what is the best product to use to get them to a healthy state?

I can say surge has been a dissappointment. Has anyone else experienced this?
frown.gif

I used Surge for the first time this week also. I did a roller set and did not notice any breakage. What else did you use in your hair?

I've been surging now for a week and have been using it twice daily (morning and evening) and I've had the opposite experience. I've had breaking and shedding due to the colder weather and my hair being dryer (so I'm changing up my regimen) and due to over proteining (Aphogee - a case of too much of a good thing).....so I said all of that to say that the surge has help stop/slow the breakage dramatically and my newgrowth has "surged" since using Surge. I'll keep using it and if anything changes, I'll be sure to report it!!

Maybe you should only stick with spraying it on the scalp. That's what the bottle says, even though they say it can be used on hair. I believe most of the ladies are spraying their scalp and not hair. Is it possible that the hair needs more moisture? You did say you blowdried... hmm....
scratchchin.gif

I've had a similar experiance but I had a little breakage before using the Surge. The Surge has not stopped it but, I want to keep using it still. I think you'll have to adjust to the extra protein that could be causing the breakage. I'm having to be really careful with other stlying products that contain protein to prevent protein overload. Also, I can't use surge if I'm wearing my hair down. In order for the surge to work for me, I have to use extra moisturizing products, and wear protective styles.

How are you wearing your hair?
Also, what else are you using along with the Surge. I like using WGO to seal it.

I would want to know a little bit more about your routine before I would assume that Surge is the problem...

You say you blow dry (a MAJOR culprit in breakage problems)...but do you add other heat to your hair...curling iron...flat iron...hot rollers?

Do you brush or comb your hair when its dry? (major...major no-no)?

Do you use shampoo? The sulfates in shampoos can be extremely drying...and cause your hair to become brittle and more fragile...I convinced my sister (who perms) to try no pooing for a month...to see if her shedding and breaking would stop...she is an avid no-pooer now...She thanks me everytime she sees me...

If you DONT do those things(use heat and comb when dry)...and your hair is breaking...then it definitely could be the Surge...

But I noticed that the directions on the Surge say 1) braid your hair...and spray on the scalp... and 2) if you want to spray your HAIR...do it after you shampoo and spray it as a leave in (hair is wet or damp) THEN style it...make sure you are following the directions...maybe the order in which you use it is key...to keeping the breakage at a minimum.

Those two habits...using heated appliance and combing when dry...put my hair in some bad shape...no amount of surge, vitamins, or conditioner...can undo that...So I had to stop those habits completely...that was even BEFORE I heard about Surge a week or so ago...My hair was getting wonderfully healthy before Surge because I stopped abusing it. So using Surge...is definitely an added boost...to a healthy routine.

Let us know how it turns out.

I think that you probably should just use it on your scalp. I just wore my hair down this week, using Surge as a leave-in and my hair was on the dry side. So, I have decided to not use Surge on my hair, just the scalp. Before I was wearing mostly protective styles and had no problem with Surge.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I would want to know a little bit more about your routine before I would assume that Surge is the problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pookey. thanks for jumping in and helping us figure this out. I had some minor breakage before using the surge so I know it's not all from Surge. I've only been using surge for about a week. I just notice increased breakage a few times after using surge.

You say you blow dry (a MAJOR culprit in breakage problems)...but do you add other heat to your hair...curling iron...flat iron...hot rollers?

I rarely blowdry my hair. I've blowdried on a low setting maybe twice this month. I airdry mostly. I do use a ceremic curling iron once a week (usually for the weekend). I wear a bun/poneytail the rest of the week and I do the baggie method everytime.

Do you brush or comb your hair when its dry? (major...major no-no)?

I never use a brush. I do comb my hair when it's wet and when it's dry. I have more breakage when I comb my hair wet. I have very little breakage when I comb my hair when it's dry.

Do you use shampoo? The sulfates in shampoos can be extremely drying...and cause your hair to become brittle and more fragile...I convinced my sister (who perms) to try no pooing for a month...to see if her shedding and breaking would stop...she is an avid no-pooer now...She thanks me everytime she sees me...

I rarely use Shampoo. Only when I have product build up. I use Creme of nature or nexus therrape when I do shampoo. I would say I use shampoo once a month. I condition wash every other day.

If you DONT do those things(use heat and comb when dry)...and your hair is breaking...then it definitely could be the Surge...

But I noticed that the directions on the Surge say 1) braid your hair...and spray on the scalp... and 2) if you want to spray your HAIR...do it after you shampoo and spray it as a leave in (hair is wet or damp) THEN style it...make sure you are following the directions...maybe the order in which you use it is key...to keeping the breakage at a minimum.

I spray surge on my scalp and I concentrate it on the ends because I wanted it to help stop the breakage. Is that the wrong thing to do?

What do you think Pooky?

Hey Keylargo,

I'm not Pooky, but I think maybe it's the spraying Surge on the ends that is the culprit. I only spray Surge on my scalp and it's been working well. My hair just does not take well to high amts. of protein & maybe neither does your hair (this is why Infusium 23 leaves my hair a dry brittle mess). I vote that you just part your hair and spray it on your scalp and see how that works out for you
smile.gif

HTH
ms_kenesha
Rose.gif

I agree...use Surge only on the scalp...see how your hair reacts...and then stick with that...

If your ends were fine before the Surge (less breakage)...then dont fix it...it sounds like it is doing great.

My hair loves Infusium...and I have natural hair...I also add rosemary oil to it and glycerine...Moisture gets pulled INTO my hair...so I have not had a problem at all with dry, brittle hair...

The only other thing I would change is if you must use a comb....make sure you use one that has teeth that are at least 1/2 inch apart...the comb may have only 13-15 teeth on it...the more teeth on a comb...the smaller the area that the hair has to pass through...try to pass a lot of hair through small gapped teeth...snags and breakage...will occur.

Let us know how things go!

Back