Super serious hair scare

cia_garces

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I'm at the tail end of a super hair scare. So here's the situation....

I got a relaxer two weeks ago and hadn't had a chance to shampoo or co-wash or anything since I got the relaxer so I took the opportunity yesterday to shampoo, condition with a protein conditioner and then follow up by deep conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner. I did TONS of research...on here and on other sites....before I settled on what protein conditioner I wanted to use (Nexxus Keraphix) and I did even more research on how to use it, for how long, with or w/o heat, etc.

So yesterday I shampooed my hair, rinsed real good, put a big ole' glop of Keraphix on my hair, combed it through and let it sit for 20 minutes. In hindsight that was most likely where I went wrong, but nothing appeared to be wrong at the end of those 20 minutes. It wasn't until I got in the shower to rinse when things got bad.

So I was rinsing out the conditioner...attempting to gently let the water flow over my hair and be careful not to shake and rake my head...but about 5 minutes into the rinse I started feeling a tingling sensation that eventually turned into a burning sensation!!! I thought I could just keep washing it out but the more I rinsed the more it burned. I lost it. :couchfire: I couldn't see anything but somehow I found my shampoo, dumped it on my head and started shampooin' like a stone cold fool!!! I thought I was in clear, that is until I noticed I could feel my scalp. I didn't feel the hair that I'd just shampooed, I felt the scalp beneath it. I have a flat area on the crown of my head and i could lay my hand flat on it. I couldn't see anything but I just knew when I got out of the shower I was gonna see hair all in the tub. To my surprise there was a normal amount. And when i looked in the mirror, I still had hair on my head but it was SOOOO thin. And then on top of that, I still had that tingly/burning sensation on the top part of my hair. I didn't know what to do so I got some conditioner, mixed it with a little roux porosity, and put that all through my head. It soothed my hair so I decided to leave it in until it felt better. I can still feel where the Keraphix was on my head but not as much as I could yesterday. And I actually have something of a headache still too.

So my question to everybody is what am I supposed to do now? Has anybody ever had this happen to them? I'm past feeling like I wanna cry (okay, i'm lyin', i'm not), and all I wanna know is what do you guys think I should do to make the situation better and not worse. I might wash this conditioner out sometime today, but I'm not doing anything other than air drying until I figure out what I'm supposed to do next. I know hair's not everything, but I don't wanna be bald.

Some stuff you might need to know
I have a little longer than shoulder length 4a/4b hair.
I did Aphogee's protein treatment a little over a month ago.
I got a relaxer (ORS Olive Oil normal relaxer) two weeks ago.
The top part got bone straight but the back part didn't.
My head feels much better but I'm trying to never do a repeat of yesterday
And this is how I currently feel :sad::imstupid::help2:

What I normally do about 5-7 days Post Relaxer: Re-Neutralize (as a precaution). I always Re-Neutralize the first wash after relaxing, just to make sure.:yep:

I recently picked up something from another Poster that I've been doing (which is probably a little overkill, but I had a Bad Salon experience Pre-LHCF with Poor Neutralization):

Clarify
Neutralize
Chelate*now that I recently switched back to No-Lye*
CoWash
Protein RX
Deep Condition
PC
Leave-In & Dry

This Post Relaxer Regi has been extremely beneficial to me, because I have a constant "FEAR" about Poor Neutralization and the Damage it can Cause.:blush:

Maybe you are allergic to the Nexxus Keraphix. Whatever you do, please don't use it again. I noticed this is your first post, i can only imagine how scaried you were. Sorry that happened to you. I honestly dunno what to tell you, i have never had anything similiar happen to me. I think others will chime in soon. Good luck.

What I normally do about 5-7 days Post Relaxer: Re-Neutralize (as a precaution). I always Re-Neutralize the first wash after relaxing, just to make sure.:yep:

I recently picked up something from another Poster that I've been doing (which is probably a little overkill, but I had a Bad Salon experience Pre-LHCF with Poor Neutralization):

Clarify
Neutralize
CoWash
Protein RX
Deep Condition
PC
Leave-In & Dry

This Post Relaxer Regi has been extremely beneficial to me, because I have a constant "FEAR" about Poor Neutralization and the Damage it can Cause.:blush:

I actually re-neutralize the next day when I get relaxers at the salon. I. DO. NOT. trust them to get all of that relaxer out. Of, course I haven't been to a salon for a relaxer in over two years so it's a moot point.

Maybe you are allergic to the Nexxus Keraphix. Whatever you do, please don't use it again. I noticed this is your first post, i can only imagine how scaried you were. Sorry that happened to you. I honestly dunno what to tell you, i have never had anything similiar happen to me. I think others will chime in soon. Good luck.

I feel so embarrassed. And, yes, this is my first post. I thought I could just post something, not say anything that showed how much of a newbie I was, and no one would be the wiser. I guess I should have noticed that on the side it shows how many times you've posted. LOL

Girl, scared don't even describe it!!! :nono: I was literally in the shower thinking about where I was gonna go to get the rest of my hair shaved off. I just knew I was bald. And then i went out and bought a ton of stuff for my hair, but i don't know what to do at this point other than wash this conditioner out of my hair and wait til my new growth grows in. :ohwell:

Clarify
Neutralize
CoWash
Protein RX
Deep Condition
PC
Leave-In & Dry

I neutralized twice, but in the back of my mind, I swear I was thinking "I think i need to neutralize again." I guess I know better now. :sad:

I have nothing to add, the ladies seemed to have given you some good advice! I just wanted to say :welcome: :newbie:

So am I okay to proceed doing my hair as normal? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do you think my hair is gonna fall out when I comb it? LOL I swear, that is the only thing running through my mind."I'm 'bout to bald, I'm 'bout to be bald..." :lol: Do you think I need to neutralize again today? Or will washing the conditioner out of my hair do the trick?

I neutralized twice, but in the back of my mind, I swear I was thinking "I think i need to neutralize again." I guess I know better now. :sad:

Do you use a Color Coded Alarm Neutralizing Shampoo?

For me, using the Color Coded Neutralizing Shampoo has given me an extra-added piece of mind, although I probably "Over Neutralize":lol:

Better to be Safe.:yep:

How old was the nexxus product? I think you can go as far as called nexxus and give them the number on the bottom and they can tell you how old it is. I notice nexxus products have a bad habit of being left back and old. I still can find (3 weeks ago) old original bottles for humectress. Either way you should contact the company.

Aloe vera suppose to be soothing to irritations but I never personally tried it. I honestly think your hair should be a ok at this point maybe the conditioner was irritating skin that was made sore by relaxing two weeks ago. I would assume that it would have healed already tho

How old was the nexxus product? I think you can go as far as called nexxus and give them the number on the bottom and they can tell you how old it is. I notice nexxus products have a bad habit of being left back and old. I still can find (3 weeks ago) old original bottles for humectress. Either way you should contact the company.

Aloe vera suppose to be soothing to irritations but I never personally tried it. I honestly think your hair should be a ok at this point maybe the conditioner was irritating skin that was made sore by relaxing two weeks ago. I would assume that it would have healed already tho

I just called Nexxus and they said they product doesn't expire for another 2 years. *shrug* So now I'm thinking I either left it in too long or, like wheezy said above, I'm allergic to something in it.

On the upside of this whole nightmare of an incident, I'm getting sent two samples from Nexxus. :yay:The lady and I both agreed that I need to focus on moisture right now instead of protein. :yep:

Do you use a Color Coded Alarm Neutralizing Shampoo?

For me, using the Color Coded Neutralizing Shampoo has given me an extra-added piece of mind, although I probably "Over Neutralize":lol:

Better to be Safe.:yep:

I do, and it looked clear to me, but I'm DEFINITELY gonna shampoo and extra third time the next time.

Oh, lawd gurl! You had me on the edge of my seat over here when I read down to the part where you stated that you felt a very thin spot in your head :nono:...my deepest sympathy goes out to you :bighug:
As for what to do next, I would recommend you get some megatek and Jbco...these two products are lethal for thickening up hair :yep:....I have never used any nexxus hair products myself...so there's not much I can tell you about that.......but the two previously mentioned products? I'd DEFINITELY recommend :yep:
HTH!

Oh! And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Last edited:
Oh you poor thing... You could use some aloe if you scalps still hurts or is sore it wont hurt you like that.....

Welcome and sorry this happened to u. I also thought this could have been a allergic reaction. I honestly think theres not much u need to do at this point- the worst part is over. Just continue to deep condition weekly, possibly wait at least 3 months before relaxing again, wash with the neutrilizing shampoo 3x afterwards, dont use alot of heat so there isnt any further breakage and never use that product again.

You poor baby! When my scalp became sore after relaxing, I would always wash with Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo (the regular one, not the medicated one), and do plenty of coconut oil rinses, until my scalp began to heal. I've had several allergic reactions to hair dye, and relaxers, and using these two products helped my scalp to heal. Hope you get beter soon. Now that you know what you have to stay away from, avoid it like the plague!!!

Your post is close to my heart. Something very similar happened to me two years ago and I'm still recovering. Mine was caused by telogen effluvium. I actually jumped out of the shower to make sure I still had hair on my head because there was soo much hair all around me in the tub. It was awful, especially for the first year. My hair is still see through at the ends, but it's growing normally now. I still have the bag full of hair I lost that day :). Just try to stay positive. As the new hair grows in you can start to cut off the thin ends. Def stay away from that conditioner. Since you know you're highly sensitive to certain products you should do a strand test before trying anything new. All the best.

Like the other ladies stated.

PLEASE PLEASE do a neutralizing shampoo no more than 3 days after coming from the salon. Many are notorious for not getting all the relaxer out and while it is sitting your hair is still processing. Make sure you use one that is color coded, a good one is Isoplus you can find it anywhere and it is super duper inexpensive.

Also PLEASE do an allergy test ON ALL NEW PRODUCTS you purchase. I have to do this now because I seem to have developed a sensitive scalp. I've had the similar symptoms (minus the thin hair feel ) with a couple of products I have used. One even made me so dizzy and nauseaus that I woke up out of my sleep and threw up and had to wash my hair at 2 in the morning. Mind you all the product was rinsed out of my head this was a leave-in.

If you have a product and you notice even the slightest amount of discomfort no matter how good you hear the product is or how it makes your hair feel dump that **** and move on to the next product. It is not worth your health.

I hope you feel better.

Dont feel bad this HHJ is just that a journey and you will have a few bumps and bruises as you find your way through.

OP, welcome! Sorry you're experiencing this.

Like the other ladies stated.

PLEASE PLEASE do a neutralizing shampoo no more than 3 days after coming from the salon. Many are notorious for not getting all the relaxer out and while it is sitting your hair is still processing. Make sure you use one that is color coded, a good one is Isoplus you can find it anywhere and it is super duper inexpensive.
I've never neutralized when I've come home -- :nono: I will be looking for Isoplus for when I get my next TU.

Oh you poor thing... You could use some aloe if you scalps still hurts or is sore it wont hurt you like that.....
OP, aloe is very helpful like arosieworld mentions.

Clarify
Neutralize
CoWash
Protein RX
Deep Condition
PC
Leave-In & Dry

Thx for posting this regi.

So am I okay to proceed doing my hair as normal? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do you think my hair is gonna fall out when I comb it? LOL I swear, that is the only thing running through my mind."I'm 'bout to bald, I'm 'bout to be bald..." :lol: Do you think I need to neutralize again today? Or will washing the conditioner out of my hair do the trick?

You did your own relaxer?

In that case:
(1) Get yourself a color coded neutralizer.

(2) After your rinse the relaxer out, use a light protein conditioner before you neutralize (2-3 minutes only).

(3) Neutralize, rinse, neutralize again, rinse, neutralize and let the neutralizer sit on your hair for 10 minutes, rinse, neutralize and let the conditioner sit on your hair for 5 minutes, rinse, neutralize, rinse.

By the time you're done with all of that those suds should be white and you should be good.

Back