Super dry and coarse roots ...help!

Mena

I am working with my little sister and she has super dry and coarse roots. I shampooed her hair with ORS Aloe Shampoo, put in aphogee protein treatment, and then I deep conditioned her hair with ORS replenishing conditioner. I left the conditioner in for an hour. Then, I put her hair up in a roller set to get her roots a striaght as possible with out heat. Most of her hair got straight except the roots are crazy coarse. I even went over her hair with a flat iron and the roots still did not get straight and it felt dry too. She is a 4a/4b natural. I think the only thing I have left I can do is a pressing comb. I was wondering if you guys have tips for really coarse, dry hair. I am trying to minimize the heat on her hair but I am still trying to make her hair blend with a half wig.

i think your supposed to follow aphogee with a more moisturiizng conditioner. like humectress, humecto, mop extreme moisture, honey suckle rose....

I'm mostly 4a/4b with REALLY coarse hair.

Which aphogee treatment did you use?

I think that the combined clarifying/chelating, protein treatment, ORS conditioner (lots of soybean protein) is not conducive to very soft hair.

Maybe try using a different DC at least when you clarify/do aophogee. I also don't clarify and do protein on the same day.

What leave in/oil/serum/heat protectant did you use?

i think your supposed to follow aphogee with a more moisturiizng conditioner. like humectress, humecto, mop extreme moisture, honey suckle rose....
hmm maybe
I'm mostly 4a/4b with REALLY coarse hair.

Which aphogee treatment did you use?

I think that the combined clarifying/chelating, protein treatment, ORS conditioner (lots of soybean protein) is not conducive to very soft hair.

Maybe try using a different DC at least when you clarify/do aophogee. I also don't clarify and do protein on the same day.

What leave in/oil/serum/heat protectant did you use?
i used the 2 step protien treatment

her hair was soft execpt for maybe 2 inches of new growth/roots

i used some carrot oil/creme as a leave in

hmm maybe

i used the 2 step protien treatment

her hair was soft execpt for maybe 2 inches of new growth/roots

i used some carrot oil/creme as a leave in

Yeah, I really think it was just the combined protein and chelating... try not to do that on the same day. Especially the 2 step!

Also, do you add any moisturizer/oil directly to the roots? I always put some right in those roots. I'm past 3 months post and I'm having no problems.

Just an idea...if she uses heat to straighten regularly that may be why the length of her hair responded well to the protein (was soft) while her new growth/roots were dry after all that protein. She's definitely going to need some moisture on the roots ASAP.

If the half-wig isn't straight you could try cornrows in the front. Or, just slick down the front and wear a headband so you don't have to worry about trying to get her hair to blend.

Yeah, I really think it was just the combined protein and chelating... try not to do that on the same day. Especially the 2 step!

Also, do you add any moisturizer/oil directly to the roots? I always put some right in those roots. I'm past 3 months post and I'm having no problems.

I have to ask her. I told her to put the creme on herself.

What kind of shampoo should I use then?

Anything gentle, either sulfate free or with weak sulfates. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo.

I might try this. It is crazy how her roots will not lay down. The salon can always do it but...I am trying to help her learn how to do her hair before she goes off to college.

Castor, EVOO, or any of the butters (shea, avocado, jojoba, etc.) applied to damp, freshly pooed hair, will help to straighten and condition.

Back