Sunflower Mom (Just for Me Texture Softener) and Baby Sunflower updates:

Eiano

Sunflower mom was the mother of a daughter who is mixed, (Sunflower is white and hubby is black). Anyway, I don't know her relation to the Pro-line company but she became the spokesmom of JFM Texture Softener. On her blog, she has pictures of herself and her daughter...

Here's somre realizations she as a white woman has come to about certain products target towards African-Americans... it's clear that products labeled "Super Doo Gro Magic African Wonder" don't always mean the best...

Straightening her hair also got me to thinking about all of the other products that we haved used on her hair. You know, on my hair when I was little, my mom used to give me a hot oil treatment when my hair would get dried out. Well, I thought if it would work for me then I should try it on her hair for the dryness. It DID NOT WORK. It made her hair so, so greasy. It also would not wash out. It took about 4 hairwashes to get it back to normal...and no, it did not take the dryness out. It made it even harder to comb out because it also made it gummy. I would try African American products as well and they would do the same thing. They were way too greasy for her hair texture or to thick (if that makes sense). Her hair texture was in class of its own and there was absolutely nothing on the market for her. I really didn't understand it. I figured that there had to be something out there somewhere for kids of dual ethnicity...but I was wrong. My mom and I went to every store, beauty supply store and even beauty salon to try to find something for her hair type but we were out of luck! Thank goodness that she was too young at the time to really worry about her hair. She probably would have been devistated on several of those days!! It was a tragedy. Also very frustrating. Thank goodness we do not have that problem anymore!! We will be JFM users for life!!!

Curly Hair and Beautiful Family Picture:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5770/1888/1600/116146/IMG_1430.jpg
Straightened:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5770/1888/1600/509422/kims camera 079.jpg

Here's a before and after pic of a little girl who has used it.... seems to do a good job!!!

before.jpg

after.jpg

Anybody have pictures, or comments to share before I run out and slather this on my natural head?!:grin:

Last edited:
[Michael Jackson]
I said you wanna be startin' somethin'
Ya got to be startin' somethin'
Ya got to be staaartin' soooomethin'!!
[/Michael Jackson]:lol:

Eiano said:
Sunflower mom was the mother of a daughter who is mixed, (Sunflower is white and hubby is black). Anyway, I don't know her relation to the Pro-line company but she became the spokesmom of JFM Texture Softener. On her blog, she has pictures of herself and her daughter...

Here's somre realizations she as a white woman has come to about certain products target towards African-Americans... it's clear that products labeled "Super Doo Gro Magic African Wonder" don't always mean the best...

Curly Hair and Beautiful Family Picture:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5770/1888/1600/116146/IMG_1430.jpg
Straightened:
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5770/1888/1600/509422/kims%20camera%20079.jpg

Here's a before and after pic of a little girl who has used it.... seems to do a good job!!!

before.jpg

after.jpg

Anybody have pictures, or comments to share before I run out and slather this on my natural head?!:grin:

just_DSP said:
[Michael Jackson]
Ya got to be startin' somethin'
Ya got to be staaartin' soooomethin'!! [/Michael Jackson]:lol:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: ON THE REAL:lol: :lol: AND YA KNOW THISSSSS MAN:perplexed :lol:

I think if you do a search there's already a thread about this.. I think at least one or two LHCF members have used it.

OOooo Ooo... wait,

Okay. So. :) The emphasis was supposed to be on the fact that I ADORE the girl baby's hair, (even though the grease thing was the longest part of my post)... and how I want to know if any one has used it and come out with good results.:D

Lol @ you w/ the MJ thing :bah:

Eiano said:
OOooo Ooo... wait,

Okay. So. :) The emphasis was supposed to be on the fact that I ADORE the girl baby's hair, (even though the grease thing was the longest part of my post)... and how I want to know if any one has used it and come out with good results.:D

Lol @ you w/ the MJ thing :bah:

Eiano I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at DSP, did you read the thread that I started about the Just For Me Texturizer? The thread had alot of mixed views on this product:)

I definitely did a search on this topic and yep, came up with 2 threads all from a few months ago.... and when I did a search for Just For Me, it was like "this is too short"....

but yeah, thanks for lettin me know. Tsmith, I will do a search for your name!!

My beef with this product is that the model's appear to have loose curls to start with. In other words, they are tyring to market a product to people with type 4 hair using models who are type 2 or 3.

This product does exactly what they say too. I tried it and got great results. I'm a 3c/4a mix and it really did soften my texture and give me looser curls. It just the results didn't last on me, but MTG does that with any chemical I used. This product really is geared toward kids, but I would use it , if it were stronger. It is just a very very mild texturizer.:)

In my Firecracker voice........

Dat ***** jus taint wanna comb dat sweet lil babies hurrr!:perplexed
Dat baby ain't need no chemical....taint like she's a 5f'er:lol:

Sunflower Mom's hubby and kids are adorable! And ITA about the model's "before" picture. There was nothing wrong with her hair before, it just looks like it was combed out while dry. I have two biracial nieces whose hair would do the same thing if we gave them a blowout or something. My oldest niece's hair looks just like that of the model's "after" picture.

caligirl said:
My beef with this product is that the model's appear to have loose curls to start with. In other words, they are tyring to market a product to people with type 4 hair using models who are type 2 or 3.
No. They are marketing it specifically for biracial or multiracial girls. That's the whole point - that's why (they say) it's different from just for me Relaxer, texturizer, etc.

A biracial girl is the model for it and her white mom (Sunflower Mom) is the spokesperson for it.

In one of her posts, Sunflower mom expressed her surprise that an African American woman had written her to say she used it and loved it. She said she didn't really think of adults using it, and *I* think she really didn't think about full black people using it either.

Back