Summer help... Swimmer's hair & time at the gym

gymfreak336

Hello this is gym's sister...

I am getting ready to start training for a triathlon... I found out today that I will be in the pool twice a day for the duration of the sumer starting in June.... It has been months since I have been in the gym or a pool for that matter... the last time I was there I was still relaxed (my 4th and FINAL BC was in March).

I am a 3" 4b aiming for synthetic &/or harsh chemical free treatments (I try to keep all of my products those that I would/could eat) however I am not fully commited to this if it means compromising my hair's health plus carrying molasses, honey, coconut milk &/or bananas to the gym is not exactly the easiest...:perplexed :lachen:

My questions are:

How do you handle excessive chlorine?
(I plan to condition & cap, but it seems to always leak)

How do you maintain mositure and still keep your TWA loose?
(I seem to only keep mositure when I am rocking a twist out)

Do you suggest daily steaming?, as I have access to a steam room and can dedicate 10 minutes to this task if need be...

Thanks ladies in advance for any help....

I don't know how much help this would actually be but I remember when I was in college, my roommate was an avid swimmer and so was her mother, who was also a beautician.

I took swimming that summer and absolutely hated it, but the one thing her mom told me was that to make sure the chlorine doesn't stick, saturate your hair with conditioner before putting your swimming cap on. I am supposing the conditioner acts as somewhat of a repellant. Anyway, once you are done swimming, be sure to rinse the conditioner out of your hair (then she would wash w/shampoo and condition again)

Just realized that if you are a swimmer, you probably already knew that anyway. Sorry:sad:

BB

Paula, why didn't you call me?:wallbash: :whyme: :lachen:

You got people here thinking that I have multiple personality disorder, talkin to myself:lachen: :nuts:

Paula, why didn't you call me?:wallbash: :whyme: :lachen:

You got people here thinking that I have multiple personality disorder, talkin to myself:lachen: :nuts:

LOL! :lachen:

wetting your hair and coating it with conditioner is the best advice i ever got about swimming in chlorinated water. my hair never suffered when i did this, not even when i was relaxed. :yep:

i'm jealous that she has access to a steam room! i was gonna postpone getting a gym membership until i lost some more weight, but maybe i will join the one down the street after all... perhaps the steam room will motivate me to work out more. :grin:

Hello this is gym's sister...

I am getting ready to start training for a triathlon... I found out today that I will be in the pool twice a day for the duration of the sumer starting in June.... It has been months since I have been in the gym or a pool for that matter... the last time I was there I was still relaxed (my 4th and FINAL BC was in March).

I am a 3" 4b aiming for synthetic &/or harsh chemical free treatments (I try to keep all of my products those that I would/could eat) however I am not fully commited to this if it means compromising my hair's health plus carrying molasses, honey, coconut milk &/or bananas to the gym is not exactly the easiest...:perplexed :lachen:

My questions are:

(I plan to condition & cap, but it seems to always leak)

Definitely DO condition and cap!
(I seem to only keep mositure when I am rocking a twist out)

I don't rock a TWA...but when i was training i co-washed EVERYDAY to maintain moisture.
Do you suggest daily steaming?, as I have access to a steam room and can dedicate 10 minutes to this task if need be...

I don't think is necessary, but surely wouldn't hurt if you had the time
Thanks ladies in advance for any help....

my answers are in red.

First off CONGRATS to wanting to complete a triathlon..i've done 2 and wished that i would've done one this summer...the next one that i might consider isn't until oct i think i might train for that one...

Good luck!

I'm answering these questions from a couples years back when I had just BCed

I don't. Swimcaps rule!! use 2! When I was swimming often, I'd use a swimcap, chlorine is a hair wrecker.

I used products with glycerin in them and I cowashed daily

Do you suggest daily steaming?
It wasn't daily, but I did this about every other day at the gym, with my hair soaked in conditioner... left my hear feeling soft!

It's Gym's alter ego :lachen: :grin: :lachen:

JUST KIDDING!!!! It is me her big sister...

THANK YOU GUYS....I am ready to get back in the pool, only now I know I won't be destroying my hair....

A-Yannie what is the longest Tri you have raced in?...

I was aiming for one in october as well but my coach and I think that is pushing it as my PCOS has my health a little compromised...

Hi Gym's sister. I don't have anything to add (I was being nosey, I guess :grin:). The others have given great advice. Good luck on your triathlon.

Thanks ya'll.... I lost the thread hence the long time to respond.... anyway my training got pushed back due to my CRAZY summer school schedule (trying to graduate!) ..... so here's to July...

Gym's Sister

I too am an avid swimmer. Folks on another forum recommended I try the Swimmer's shampoo by Aubrey Organics, which has all natural ingredients to strip the cholorine from the hair. I bought a bottle today and will test it out tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Oh yes and all the other given advice like co-washing, deep treatments, slathering the hair with conditioner before swimmind, and wearing a swim cap are all working for me and I have natural color treated hair.

HTH and best wishes on the training!!:grin:

I've been visiting the pool lately and I use my Trader Joe's Conditioner under my cap, however my cap gets flooded with water.

Are you ladies having any luck with particular swim caps?

One sis recommended using 2, I wonder how that works out??

Any suggests?

I've been visiting the pool lately and I use my Trader Joe's Conditioner under my cap, however my cap gets flooded with water.

Are you ladies having any luck with particular swim caps?

One sis recommended using 2, I wonder how that works out??

Any suggests?

I have a big old head, so it's always hard for me to find caps that work. I would suggest going with a Speedo cap. They cost a little bit more but are made of a stronger latex than the ones you buy at the drugstore. They also basically suction to your head...lol, I'm not sure how to say this, but they are harder to stretch so they stay closer to your head. That keeps the water - and chlorine - out! Plus, I believe they come in sizes so you can determine the snugness.

One warning: they are a bit more expensive than what you'd find at CVS.

Back