Summer Hair - Heat?

naturalmanenyc

I was considering using a shoulder length curly wig this summer once I take out my Senegalese twists; however, I nearly caught fire when I stepped outside this morning so I don't think a wig will work for summer. I was covered in sweat after only a few minutes outside (like 90 degrees).

What is everyone doing for summer hair, a style that can beat the heat if there is any such style?

For the past week I have been cowashing every morning and wearing high messy buns! I would love to do wash and go's but it is just too hot to have it all out.

On the bright side I have noticed that my hair is much more healthy looking.

I swim every day and wash daily (co-wash, oil rinse, condition-wash-condition). My hair is natural type 4. I wear a single braid.

Unfortunately, I am in a Wig (again this Summer).:ohwell:

I am Spritzing with some kind of Spritz before I put on my Netted Wig Cap.

Right now I'm using Hairveda's Hydrasilica Spritz. I also apply a nice creamy Leave-In.

I work in AC, Car/AC and Home, so I'm not really dealing with the Elements.

But will admit, the Wig can be very Hot.

So keeping hair Spritzed/Moisturized is a must.

I don't know what I'm gonna do myself. It is pretty hot here and its going to get hotter over the next few weeks. I'm >< this close to putting in some extension braids instead of wearing wigs. But I just took my extension twists down over the weekend. It is too soon to put them back in.

I don't know what i'm going to do this time around. Depends on how much swimming I do. If I swim alot then I'll keep my hair in twists since it will need to be washed more often. But if not, I will keep my hair in cornrows and wear short chin to shoulder length wigs. I already noticed that my hair is dryer and gets dirtier this summer so I cowash mid-week and deep conditioner after a shampoo wash on the weekend too.

My single inverted braid with my ends tucked away is my 2012 Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall hairstyle. I LOVE IT!!

I think its all in finding a good leave in. I found a new one and tried it for the first time. My mom gave it to me and i was about to give it away because i have staples. But I tried Alba botanicals (looks at herbal essence in shame) it was amazing. I think a good leave in will save you. The high today was mid 80s and somehow my hair stayed soft. If you have a great leave in try washing (i daily cowash) and applying. HTH

ZebraPrintLover said:
Screw this heat I am getting a fade LOL.

Lol this is the best time to bc. Im glad i did. My friends were all complaining how hot it was with their hair. I was like *shrug holds up scissors and scruncis*

Updos and wash n gos. I rollerset my hair this past Sunday for the first time in weeks my hair is already looking kind of dry frizzy, and sweated it out. Definitely wont be doing that often. I've gotten used to waking up and rinsing my hair every morning. I like it

DF loves my hair straight (as do I on rare occasions...I figure I had straight hair for 18 yrs courtesy of a relaxer, n I enjoy my curls/kinks/waves), but the NC heat n humidity just will not allow me to maintain pressed or flat-ironed hair.

I do wkly to bi-wkly cw's, smooth it back into a bun or twist with a lil gel on the edges, and live my life cool and carefree during the scorching summers here. I leave my hair in a bun or twist til the next cw, only misting with a water-conditioner-glycerin mix and restyling as needed.

I was considering using a shoulder length curly wig this summer once I take out my Senegalese twists; however, I nearly caught fire when I stepped outside this morning so I don't think a wig will work for summer. I was covered in sweat after only a few minutes outside (like 90 degrees).

What is everyone doing for summer hair, a style that can beat the heat if there is any such style?

This made me LOL! I could NEVER wig it in the dirty south.......too hawt:nono::nono::nono:......not that I wear wigs.

I'm at work in Boston and lots of my colleagues have gotten their hair cut short for summer. One woman was MBL and is now just above APL.

Moniquenuss said:
For the past week I have been cowashing every morning and wearing high messy buns! I would love to do wash and go's but it is just too hot to have it all out.

On the bright side I have noticed that my hair is much more healthy looking.

Can u please teach me how to do a messy bun

Wash n Go's FTW!! :grin: NYC gets hot n Humid, and last year when I was wiggling it, those wigs were Not Hot....but I sure was!! :nono:

I live in fl its always hot but im in AC 90% of the time. Im wiggin it til the cows come home( or until im bsl) :)
I keep my hair moisturized under my wig cap which is much cooler than my old durag an most days,im baggying anyway so my wig helps me out a lot I can go to the grocery store while DCing and nobody knows:)

cowashing in the morning is a lifesaver for me. But i bear the hot texas heat and wear my wigs daily Its hot with or without the hair lol

I live in Texas which to my hair is like walking into a 400 degree flat iron every afternoon so I'm just wearing chunky long braids an and buns when I take them down. I'm not gonna have my hair straight until August...but yea I understand you pain OP

Back