Sulphate shampoos, yay or nay?

sparkle25

Hello

I haven't used a sulphate shampoo in maybe many years, but I see a lot of ladies still use it with no problem. To be honest, I don't think non sulphate shampoos make my hair any less drier after I wash it, but I can't exactly remember since its been so long. I do remember using cream of nature shampoo before and I actually liked it. My hair is in need of a good washing today, and I'm at my moms and she has some cream of nature shampoo and I am thinking about using it over this Jamaican black castor oil shampoo that I have. I don't feel as if the JBCO shampoo gets my hair all that clean. It's really the same with all the natural shampoos. I end up using a lot of it because I just don't feel as if it gets my hair clean.

What do you think of sulphate shampoos vs natural shampoos? What has been your experience? Just looking for some opinions here. If there is a sulphate shampoo that you like, please share what it is as I am looking for something new...

Anyways sorry for all the posts today! It's been a few years since I have been on here so I need to get caught up again. Thanks ladies !

There is one sulfate shampoo that I like and it's a line that I really trust: Suave Naturals coconut shampoo.

The ingredients are the most simple of most shampoos I see. It's not loaded up with conditioners and ingredients that leave a deposit on your hair.

I think part of the issue with sulfates is it can cause cancers in some people.

That being said, I use one once a month to clarify and chelate.

I like them. When I wash my hair I lake to start with a completely clean slate especially before I dc and I don't feel you can do that with a non-sulfate shampoo unless your really diligent to avoid using any products that may coat the hair.

I use Paul Mitchell shampoo one. It's pretty good and gentle. For me, poo-free and low-poo don't work. Creamy shampoos don't work. Moisturizing shampoos do not work. Nothing really works, so when I found the Paul Mitchell and liked my conditioning results after,
I kinda just stopped there.

For me it really depends on the shampoo. Some non-sulfate shampoos can make my hair feel like straw while some sulfate shampoos can almost make me forget to use conditioner because my hair is so soft.

There's a few on my list:

ORS Olive Oil
Davines Love Shampoo
Redken All Soft Shampoo - Been using that since the '90s

I think whether or not to use sulphate shampoos depends on your other hair products and your hair type. I use a lot of natural products that don't cause buildup on my hair and scalp (for some people, thick butters or heavy oils would lead to buildup but not for me). So I don't see myself NEEDING sulphates often. Plus, I get great lather with non-sulphate cleansers if that's what I want. For the rarer moments I use cones or waxes, I feel only a sulphate shampoo adequately strips the junk off.
I also have very fine hair and sulphate shampoos are just too stripping for regular use for me.

Sent using LHCF app

I use my sulfate poo with every wash, I can't stand cowashing. My go-to is Yes to Carrots, it has about 2 mild cleasers and one sulfate (sodium coco sulfate), the rest is oils and plant extracts. I dilute it in water before use and I wash my scalp once. Sometimes I'll do a second wash and while the hair does feel more squeaky, I can still separate my strands fairly easily.

The answer to this question depends upon what products you use in your hair. If your using gels, sprays, styling aids, mineral oils, jellies, etc that cause build up, than yay. If you are using real olive oil and water only, than nay.

I have a combination of non sulfates and sulfates. Like it was said by another poster it depends upon your hair. I personally like sulfates better for my hair.

Creme of Nature Detangling Conditioning Shampoo is pretty darn good. Yes the new formula in the orange bottle.

I don't mind what I use as long as it isn't drying. Some sulphate free shampoos are just awful (organix). My rule of thumb is if i can use it on my body and not get that awful tight feeling on my skin its gentle enough for my hair.

When i was relxed i used to use redken shampoos from their all soft line and it contained sulfates but was creamy and my hair never felt stripped. these days i prefer sulfate free shampoos by giovanni. I get the liters from TJ maxx for $12 and rotate btw the 50:50, Smooth as silk & Chinese Botanicals varieties. I use some productwith cones and these shampoos get the job done, no sulfate poo needed!

Thanks ladies. I don't use any gels or styling agents on my hair or mineral oil. I have never used a natural shampoo and thought it was anything special. Sometimes I don't feel as if my hair is clean after using them though and I can still smell left over product from before the wash. At this time I was using bee mines growth serum that contains sulfur, and I could always smell the sulfur still after washing with natural shampoos. I guess generally I thinks all shampoos are the same on my hair as far as how drying they are. I've got some new ideas here from some of you ladies so I guess ill just experiment :)

I think whether or not to use sulphate shampoos depends on your other hair products and your hair type. I use a lot of natural products that don't cause buildup on my hair and scalp (for some people, thick butters or heavy oils would lead to buildup but not for me). So I don't see myself NEEDING sulphates often. Plus, I get great lather with non-sulphate cleansers if that's what I want. For the rarer moments I use cones or waxes, I feel only a sulphate shampoo adequately strips the junk off.
I also have very fine hair and sulphate shampoos are just too stripping for regular use for me.

Sent using LHCF app

I agree, though I think porosity can also play a role in the type of shampoo you need. I'm low porosity and prone to buildup even though use almost all natural products (I need to know the ingredients I put on my hair)

I haven't tried sulfate shampoo since I was relaxed, but I know not all low poos are created equal either. Some were super stripping and some didn't get my hair clean at all. My happy medium is Aubrey Organics White Camellia Shampoo.

Occassionally, I use As I am Coconut Co-wash. It's called a Co-wash, but hair still feels clean with it.

I use Terressentials mud wash or Shea Moisture shampoo for cleansing. I don't think I'll ever go back to sulfate shampoos.

Nay to sulfate shampoos! Not all are bad, but I prefer sulfate free poos, especially now that I know which non sulfate cleansers work best for me (decyl glucoside and cocosomething betaine).

If I were still using cones, a sulfate shampoo would be necessary.

I've never really had an issue with cheap sulfate shampoos. I tend to go to non-sulfate ones because of the other botanicals and good ingredients that are usually in them. Right now I'm using Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree sulfate-free shampoo, and it's the first time I've noticed a legitimate difference between a sulfate and non-sulfate shampoo. It makes my hair clean and crazy soft!! I absolutely love it :yep:.

My usual shampoos are sulfate:
1. Garnier Fructis Pure Clean- I've gone through a couple of bottles of this
2. Suave Captivating Curls- if I wanted my curls to be poppin' and lockin', this was my go to. I loved this stuff, but it may be discontinued :ohwell:

Yay, but only for Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo. This stuff is awesome! It does not strip my hair or tangle it up, and it smells amazing :)

Back