Sulfates...

NitaChantell

Has anyone been using sulfate shampoo and NOT experienced adverse effects? I know people say sulfates dry out hair, but is it one of those "everyone's hair is different" situations, or do they really dry out hair, regardless? I'm asking because I use a sulfate shampoo, but it makes my hair feel great after I use it! I'm wondering if my hair will stay moisturized without baggying and consistent DCing. Maybe I should do a mini experiment...(wishing I had a mannequin head so I can mess her hair up instead of mine:rolleyes:)

Hmm, if it's working well for you in that regard then I'm definitely not going to rain on your parade :yep:. However, for *myself* I tend to stay away from sodium lauryl sulfates b/c they have been linked to hormone disruption. So there's the health/environmental aspect to it.

I used to use a sulfate shampoo that made my hair feel great but when I stopped using it and I started using sulfate free I noticed a huge difference in the moisture level in my hair.....I don't wanna take any risks with my hair and dry it out even more. Plus as Galadriel said, there are health/environmental implications beyond just the adverse effects to the hair.

If it works for you then hey, if it aint broke right? I've personally sworn them off though.

I use CON Kiwi & Citrus which has sulfates (used to be CON green bottle) with the best results of any poo, sulfate or non. My non-sulfate is Cristophe, but I don't get as good results when I use it in the prepoo/poo/condition part of my regimen. I used another sulfate free called Shed No More in the past which left my hair dry. MilkChocolateOne posted a long list of sulfate-frees that left her hair dry, stripped, feeling like velcro or strands sticking together. Everyone's hair is different, so if a sulfate poo is working for your hair, IMHO do what's best for you.

Back