Suggestions needed! Recovery from setback

Stacy TheLady

Hi All, I am going through a setback in my hair growing and i can't seem to get back on track with my regimen.

I was away from home for the last week and I ill treated my hair. I did not tie at night, no protective styling and no co washing, DC etc :wallbash:. Basically i just ran my fingers through it with a tad bit of Vitamin E.

Now that i am back home and really paying attention to my hair, i have noticed a significant bit of breakage, dryness and frizz. I have also seen a bit of dandruff but only close to my hair line & nowhere else.:perplexed

Right now i am doing a pre poo of The Garlic/Coconut Breakage Remedy and i put in a bit of Amla Oil and Vit E Oil in the mix.

I am sort of lost as to my next step and i really need suggestions. The setback is quite obvious because the DH commented on the change in my hair and my efforts yesterday :nono:

My usual regimen: Pre poo 2*/wk with Amla Oil, Co wash 2*/week, DC 1 or 2*/wk, Protective style with cornrows, box plaits or twists everyday, Moisturize and seal daily, tie at night. (My Products- EVOO, EVCO, Amla Oil, Vit E, Amla HAir Food>>now using NAture's Blessings, Castor Oil, Rice Bran Oil and T Tree Oil>> not pure T Tree, it has several diff oils in it)

I even havent been taking my supplements for the past week. The week away from home really threw me off. Help. I am a natural, 4 something, past shoulder length trying to get to APL.:ohwell:

I'm not sure if that was your whole regimen you posted but if it is I would suggest you tweak your regimen a bit.

It's good to begin a hair care regimen by cleaning the hair good with a clarifying shampoo or chelating shampoo. Because you are experiencing breakage you should include a deep conditioner for moisture and as far as dandruff goes you should try and put EV-Coconut oil directly on your scalp(not all the other oils) because it's light and is known to help combat dandruff and other scalp conditions. Oh and try not to keep your hair in braids and plaits when you wrap.

So try and tweak you regimen and make it simple hopefully things will make out for you. I just changed my regimen too after relaxing last month only to now hate myself for doing so.

Last edited:
Whenever I have issues or a "setback" I DC, PS and i don't bother my hair for a few days. Alot more manipulation can become an issue. to me your breakage/dandruff doesn't sound too bad. Stick to your usual regimen + less manipulation and perhaps in a week or two you'll be back to normal.

Hth :)

I'm not sure if that was your whole regimen you posted but if it is I would suggest you tweak your regimen a bit.

It's good to begin a hair care regimen by cleaning the hair good with a clarifying shampoo or chelating shampoo. Because you are experiencing breakage you should include a deep conditioner for moisture and as far as dandruff goes you should try and put EV-Coconut oil directly on your scalp(not all the other oils) because it's light and is known to help combat dandruff and other scalp conditions. Oh and try not to keep your hair in braids and plaits when you wrap.

So try and tweak you regimen and make it simple hopefully things will make out for you. I just changed my regimen too after relaxing last month only to now hate myself for doing so.

I clarify once every two weeks with VO5 Kiwi and LIme Conditioner and I just add some lime juice. My hair hates shampoo and i think thats why i got the dandruff in the first place>>> i stopped shampooing my hair about 3 mths now. i used am amla poo a couple times and it did not dry my hair at all. May consider usign this once a month or so

EVCO is the truth and i do apply directly to my scalp but i fell back on my reggie and felt the consequences of it.

why shouldnt i keep my hair in plaits...when we say braids, in the caribbean, we mean to add artificial hair to your natural hair but when we say plaits we mean natural hair only in some protective style. I do not use artificial hair. But tell me why i shouldnt wrap?

Thanks for your response

Last edited:
I clarify once every two weeks with VO5 Kiwi and LIme Conditioner and I just add some lime juice. My hair hates shampoo and i think thats why i got the dandruff in the first place>>> i stopped shampooing in my hair, so am not doing shampoo again.

EVCO is the truth and i do apply directly to my scalp but i fell back on my reggie and felt the consequences of it.

why shouldnt i keep my hair in plaits...when we say braids, in the caribbean, we mean to add artificial hair to your natural hair but when we say plaits we mean natural hair only in some protective style. I do not use artificial hair. But tell me why i shouldnt wrap?

Thanks for your response

The same here I only clarify I have not used Shampoo in years, lol. I said you shouldn't keep your hair in braids all the time because it pulls the hair and if your are experiencing breakage you might want to lay off until your hair get stronger. I did not say not to wrap your hair, I said not to or shall I say try not to put your hair in braids and wrap it all the time but to wear it loose and wrap it sometimes.

Just to add you did not clarify your question and you did not post all of your regimen which is why I ask was that your whole regimen. So keyawarren post was good enough!

The same here I only clarify I have not used Shampoo in years, lol. I said you shouldn't keep your hair in braids all the time because it pulls the hair and if your are experiencing breakage you might want to lay off until your hair get stronger. I did not say not to wrap your hair, I said not to or shall I say try not to put your hair in braids and wrap it all the time but to wear it loose and wrap it sometimes.

Just to add you did not clarify your question and you did not post all of your regimen which is why I ask was that your whole regimen. So keyawarren post was good enough!

There are a couple things I stick to but i am still tweaking to find the right reggie. thanks so much for your contribution. Will take your advice on the braids.

I clarify once every two weeks with VO5 Kiwi and LIme Conditioner and I just add some lime juice. My hair hates shampoo and i think thats why i got the dandruff in the first place>>> i stopped shampooing my hair about 3 mths now. i used am amla poo a couple times and it did not dry my hair at all. May consider usign this once a month or so

why shouldnt i keep my hair in plaits...when we say braids, in the caribbean, we mean to add artificial hair to your natural hair but when we say plaits we mean natural hair only in some protective style. I do not use artificial hair. But tell me why i shouldnt wrap? Thanks for your response

Hi STL: So sorry to hear about your 'set-back' I'm sure things will turn around quickly. IMO: I would cut my Clarifying down to once a month or every 6 weeks or (only as needed when I felt significant product build-up):perplexed.

I wold eliminate adding Lime Juice or anything like that (additionally drying) until I zero-ed in on the 'problem':ohwell:

I would DC reguarly with a Light Protein Treatment Followed Up with A Moisturizing DC Treatment preferably with Heat, or at the very least under a plastic cap, for about a month or so to see if it corrected my situation.

For Me, the Key to Clarifying is not doing it too 'often' and definitely putting moisture right back into my hair.:yep:

I would limit any unnecessary hair handling and manipulation until I got my breakage issues under control.

Hi STL: So sorry to hear about your 'set-back' I'm sure things will turn around quickly. IMO: I would cut my Clarifying down to once a month or every 6 weeks or (only as needed when I felt significant product build-up):perplexed.

I wold eliminate adding Lime Juice or anything like that (additionally drying) until I zero-ed in on the 'problem':ohwell:

I would DC reguarly with a Light Protein Treatment Followed Up with A Moisturizing DC Treatment preferably with Heat, or at the very least under a plastic cap, for about a month or so to see if it corrected my situation.

For Me, the Key to Clarifying is not doing it too 'often' and definitely putting moisture right back into my hair.:yep:

I would limit any unnecessary hair handling and manipulation until I got my breakage issues under control.

Sounds great...can you suggest a light protein conditioner: homemade or readymade will do fine..hopefully i'll find it in my country (i am protein sensitive)

Agreed.
I use the same clarifying poo diluted and even that dries my hair a bit.

I had been experiencing breakage I could not solve!

First I used one of those protein Reconstructor (Aphogee two minute) and followed it with a Moisturizing deep condition and then stepped up on moisturizing.. still was experience breakage

Then next weak I did another moisturizing deep condition, and try to stay away from protein for while.. still breakage

After a few weeks of doing this I clarified... Still breakage

So got a PH fixing porosity conditioner, guess what ... still breakage

So finally I had enough, and clarified and used Aphogee two step.. and BAM breakage was over. My hair was back to normal, and better then it had been in a few weeks. Of course breakage is enviable.. but the breakage i was experience was a bit out of my norm.

Maybe if you been trying everything and nothing work you should try a hardcore protein treatment. However, I should say that, its probably better to find out what the problem is through the steps I did first if your nervous about hardcore protein

Last edited:
Sounds great...can you suggest a light protein conditioner: homemade or readymade will do fine..hopefully i'll find it in my country (i am protein sensitive)

You could always do either a Aubrey Organics GBP or Giovanni Nutra-Fix. You should be able to find them in some sort of Natural/Health Food Store.

First Starting Out: Homemade, I've done Various Mixtures/Combinations of Avacado, Yogurt, Egg, Mayo, Honey, Molasses, Silk Aminos, Protein Filler, Honeyquat......with EVOO, Avacado Oil or EVCO. But have since abandoned all 'mixing' up stuff in lieu of Ready Made Products.:blush:

Alot of the Ladies Like Apoghee 2 Minute Reconstructor (I'm not too familiar with the product b/c I don't use it) but it might be a good start. Even the ORS Replenishing Pack, Ion Effective Intense Treatment (which is good and I have used). The Ion is actually a Combination of Protein/Moisture.

HTH's

Back