Suggestion for those with tough newgrowth and underprocessed hair

gymfreak336

CHECK YOUR POROSITY!!!!

I bought a small bottle of porosity control to use the last time I self relaxed. I had forgotten about it until about 2 weeks ago. I underprocessed myself pretty badly and I was losing hair from manipulation of the underprocessed parts which makes up about 80% of my head. I decided to whip out my little blue bottle and give it a try. I washed my hair and applied for just a minute. I rinsed and then conditioned as usual. I have done this twice now and I have followed with a moisutrizing conditioner both times. The change is amazing. My hair is much softer and easier to comb. Believe it or not but in my most underprocessed sections, I could run a fine tooth comb through it smoothly and easily. I am NOT advocating detangling with a fine tooth comb but this just shows you how well it worked. I figured since I have straight relaxed hair, underprocessed hair, and newgrowth all in the same strand then my cuticle must be a mess. I think the porosity control helps smooth the whole cuticle and makes conditioning more uniform. My hair retains moisture alot better now as well.
Bottom line- If you are having trouble with different textures in your hair, give porosity control a try. Use it twice in a row with just a moisturizing conditioner and see the change. It will make your life a whole lot easier and help cut down on hair loss from basic manipulation.

Intresting...I definitely need something. This is my C&G rest week. I'm tendered headed so the underprocessed and new growth makes it extra hard on me. Where can I buy this?

Me2 said:
Intresting...I definitely need something. This is my C&G rest week. I'm tendered headed so the underprocessed and new growth makes it extra hard on me. Where can I buy this?

Sallys.. Its in a blue bottle

Yes it is a godsend. I use it as a rinse between my poo and my dc. My hair was drying too fast an wouldn't hold moisturer at all. As soon as I started using PC my hair started taken longer to dry because if was holding moisturer better.

Could someone post a picture of it. I'm in the UK. and would like to feed into my PJism, since I've been so well behaved lately.

anky said:
dang, thanks for reminding me.... sheesh! I need it badly.
Hey Anky did you ever find a relaxer that worked well for you? I remember you couldnt get rid of your underprocessed hair for the life of you. I am having similar probs with Vitale body and relaxer with no success...did things work out for you?

What is porosity control? What does it do? I read on another thread that someone uses it b4 a touch-up. TIA

LadyR said:
Yes it is a godsend. I use it as a rinse between my poo and my dc. My hair was drying too fast an wouldn't hold moisturer at all. As soon as I started using PC my hair started taken longer to dry because if was holding moisturer better.

It is great isn't it. I wish I would have tried this the last time I tried to stretch. I might have made it through.

seraphinelle said:
Could someone post a picture of it. I'm in the UK. and would like to feed into my PJism, since I've been so well behaved lately.

Here's a pic....

Attachments

• 700858a.jpg
    700858a.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for the tip gym. I will try this the next time I wash. You know I love roux products, the shampoo, conditioner, and treatment. I self relaxed and while I did a good job getting it 80-90% straight in the front, the back middle section only relaxed about 50%, so I will probably only stretch 8-9 weeks this time instead of 11 weeks. Hopefully this step will help calm that little patch down a bit until I can get it evenly relaxed.

Kristal said:
Hey Anky did you ever find a relaxer that worked well for you? I remember you couldnt get rid of your underprocessed hair for the life of you. I am having similar probs with Vitale body and relaxer with no success...did things work out for you?

no. :cry3: I quit trying.

Ladies,
Grymfreak was not lying this stuff is GOOD! My newgrowth is still thick but much more managable. I can comb my hair without making faces! Thanks Gym!

I definitely will be hittin up Sally's today. I went yesterday but I didn't buy anything (just went to browse:p ).

I started a new thread for question before I saw this one.....

I read this somewhere on the net. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not this is acurate?

"Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors."

Should I be using a porosity control shampoo regularly? Other than the strand float test, what other ways can I tell if my porosity if off?

Choklatekiss79 said:
I started a new thread for question before I saw this one.....

I read this somewhere on the net. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not this is acurate?

"Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors."

Should I be using a porosity control shampoo regularly? Other than the strand float test, what other ways can I tell if my porosity if off?[/QUOTE]

You can use the porosity shampoo on a regular basis. HoneyDew has talked about this poo before and she loves it. As for other ways to check porosity, sometimes I will run my fingers up and down a shed hair and if it feels really bumpy and uneven, I know my porosity is a little off. Since usign porosity control on a regular basis, I notice soo many positive improvements. I will keep using it every week just to stay on the safe side.

I'm glad I came in here. Okay, so for clarity.

Gymfreak, will this correct my extremely dry hair?

amwcah said:
I'm glad I came in here. Okay, so for clarity.

Gymfreak, will this correct my extremely dry hair?

It can help. Sometimes when your porosity is off it is harder for your hair to absorb and retain moisture.

this is good info. i have some and never really liked it, but i wasn't using a conditioner afterwards. can i use a dominican conditioner afterwards and have the same effect?

dstdiva said:
this is good info. i have some and never really liked it, but i wasn't using a conditioner afterwards. can i use a dominican conditioner afterwards and have the same effect?

Yep, no matter what conditioner I have used afterwards, it still feels better.

Back