Substitue for jojoba oil....

soslychic

Ok yall I just went to roberts health food and checked out the price tag on that jojoba oil. Wow! That's gonna put a little too big of a dent in my pocket book so...is there anything I can use instead. I need something that won't weight my hair down like olive oil, but will seal in the moisture and add shine as well. Suggesions anyone? TIA!
laugh.gif

Does the jojoba oil from a helath store differ from the one you get at a BSS such as Queen Helene Jojoba Oil?

[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
Does the jojoba oil from a helath store differ from the one you get at a BSS such as Queen Helene Jojoba Oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does because I have both. The QH one has less jojoba oil but apparently does a good job. From what I gathered, you don't really need a lot if jojoba oil for your hair. You can use sesame seed oil or olive oil.

I've always thought of jojoba oil being in a class by itself. A nice oil to try anyway though, is sweet almond oil. It's not thick or heavy.

Safflower oil is nice & light. I got mine from a regular grocery store, and it's not expensive at all.

Avocado Oil is described as relatively heavy but the one I got from www.mountainroseherbs.com is very light. In fact, if it wasn't for the color and label, I'd confuse it with my jojoba. The good thing about avocado oil is it's replete with vitamins, amino acids...the works. Here's how it's described on the website I got it from:

[ QUOTE ]
Avocado Oil
(Persea Americana)
Method of extraction: Expeller Pressed/Refined
This ultra rich oil is a delightful treasure containing high amounts of Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E. Also contains amino acids, sterols, pantothenic acid, lecithin, and other essential fatty acids. Highly prized to those with skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, and other skin ailments. Avocado oil is a relatively thick and rich oil that may be diluted with other carrier oils to work its consistency. Highly recommended to those with sensitive skin, problem skin and other irritations that require vitamin rich oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting from the lightest, IMO, I'd line up the oils I have thus:

jojoba = avocado > coconut > olive > emu > castor

I agree with Soulchild. Jojoba is totally unique. However, you might enjoy a fruit oil like Avocado or Apricot Kernel. They are different than jojoba, but work well on hair. Avocado oil is rich in sulfur & thus extra beneficial for the hair.

Back