Stylist Consultation Questions

Mamamia

Next weekend I've decided to get my hair relaxed and clipped professionally. I haven't had it relaxed since Febuary, but the last time i had it done professionally I had a bad experience. The woman cut too much in the back, burned my scalp ANd used alcohol on it before she curled it!!
shocked.gif
I darn near fainted!!!

I've decided to go to a different stylist, but I scheduled a consultation with her just to check her out first. What sort of questions should I ask her? I'm going to tell her about my hair history and experiences as well as inquiring about how long she's been doing hair. I don't want to seem like a Barbara Walter's special, but I want to get as much information without being rude. Anything you ladies can add?

When I was getting my relaxers done at salons I would usually go in for a shampoo and wrap set. Then I would bombard them with questions.
laugh.gif
I ask them how long they have been doing hair, where they went to school, if they attend those little seminars and conventions and continuing education classes. This isn't super important, but I want to make sure they have at least tried to keep up with the times. I ask what products she likes to use. (I don't like it when they use the same one or two product lines on everyone who walks through the door...) I also ask if I could see some pictures of their work. What I really like to do is just sit and watch her work for a little while.

This may sound rude, but this person is about to put caustic chemicals on my head! I'm shy with strangers and I really hate asking them questions, but I wanted to be sure. If they act like they act like don't want to answer me or if they get mad or defensive ("I'm the professional and I know best!"), I just don't go back. The one time I didn't take these precautions, my hair broke off...

I agree with Sassygirl in scheduling an appointment in advance for a simple service first and watch them at work. I agree too that if you feel serious attitude from the questions then I'd re-consider going back. Questions I'd ask:

1. What relaxer do you use (also if its lye or not)? They should ask what you've been using.
2. Do you comb through the relaxer for touch ups or no? or you could just ask 'how do you apply the relaxer to the re-growth? so its not a leading question.
3. Does the touch up include a deep condition?
4. What conditioners do you like to use?
5. How do you finish/dry the hair? rollars? blowdry? curling irons?
6. Do you have any pics of clients you've worked on?
7. Do you base the scalp?

Also, just look around the place and see what customers hair looks like as well as the stylists hair that will relax you.

I concur with whith what everyone above has said. You should also ask if you can watch him/her do a relaxer on on of her clients.

there was a thread about this in the past. You should try doing a search. I can't remember what it was called. (probably back in january, i'm not sure)

My two cents in addition to the others':

1) What strength relaxer do you use? ( I'm 4A and my stylist uses Mild formula. I would have never dreamed Mild would relax this thick tangle of hair, but it does.)

2) Is trim included with touch up?

3) What's the longest you will allow a client to wait between retouches before you will a) charge more, b) refuse to retouch, if applicable)? (This stylist I went to once said he refuses to touch a client's hair after 8 weeks of regrowth. Say wha-----? Needless to say, I didnt go back to him).

My current stylist and I came up with an agreement: I would hold off 12/13 weeks for a touch up on the following conditions: a) I come in every 8 wks or so for a light trim, b) I would deep condition weekly on my own time, and she in turn would not charge more for the thicker new growth. In turn, she gets my respect and loyalty. Win/Win!

Make sure the new stylist is willing to work with you according to your personal hair preferences/beliefs.

Good luck! And remember, YOU are paying them for healthy hair! If they want to catch attitude or scoff at your requests, tell 'em to kiss your brown behind, and move on!

AZ

wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly be doing mucho research on her before she lifts a finger to my head!

[ QUOTE ]
And remember, YOU are paying them for healthy hair! If they want to catch attitude or scoff at your requests, tell 'em to kiss your brown behind, and move on!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif
AZ you know you're right.

I've started to ask, "based on your experience with my hair type, which one of my hair goals are achievable?" Here I'm looking not necessarily for her/his answer but more her/his attitude. This gives me a chance to see how eagerly s/he'll compliment where I'm starting from - or - will s/he paint her/himself as my hair savior. I keep running into exactly those stylist you mention, the ones with a bad and/or superior attitude. When it comes right down to it, this is someone with whom you need to feel comfortable and whom you feel you can trust. If you don't feel comfortable and trusting, you shouldn't allow them to put a chemical on your hair or put a scissors to it, no matter what anyone else's experience is with the salon.

[ QUOTE ]
Next weekend I've decided to get my hair relaxed and clipped professionally. I haven't had it relaxed since Febuary, but the last time i had it done professionally I had a bad experience. The woman cut too much in the back, burned my scalp ANd used alcohol on it before she curled it!!
shocked.gif
I darn near fainted!!!

I've decided to go to a different stylist, but I scheduled a consultation with her just to check her out first. What sort of questions should I ask her? I'm going to tell her about my hair history and experiences as well as inquiring about how long she's been doing hair. I don't want to seem like a Barbara Walter's special, but I want to get as much information without being rude. Anything you ladies can add?

[/ QUOTE ]
ALCOHOL??? On YOUR scalp?
And I thought a bad experience for me was when a hairdresser used HOT yes HOT water to rinse out my burning perm. This is why I don't trust hair dressers. You will see my pictures in the future. The past ones are really bad. And yes, not only did the last stylist cut instead of trim, but it was definitely uneven and choppy.
No one knows and cares more about your hair than yourself...that's what I've learned!
smile.gif

Back