Styling tips? :)

Gldspoon

Hi...

I recently purchased an Ionic blowdryer and a ceramic flat iron because my hair has gotten so long that I can't stand to go under a dryer with rollers anymore. The thing is that I have never been one to style with heat tools and I know I am careful and won't burn my hair off or whatever but I am looking for tips on how to get nice smooth straight hair while using these tools.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

smile.gif

Gldspoon

i used to heat style all the time and i still do sometimes. you should make sure that you never let the blow dryer touch your hair without a leave in and some other type of moisturizer in it. also when you start flat ironing it you will need a grease. oil works good but grease makes it look smoother and silkier. a good grease is ors jojoba oil. you know the flat iron is too hot if when you touch the part right over the iron and its too hot for your finger, then its too hot. you also want to wash your hair more frequently because putting heat on dirty hair is one of the worst things you can do. good luck with your new styling. keep us posted on how it goes.
~Lauren

Hey Gldspoon
wave.gif

I had my hair blow dried and curled in mid-June. I loved the way it turned out. Make sure you use a good heat protectant prior to blow drying your hair. I had shampooed and conditioned my hair at home. So, by the time I got to the hair salon, my stylist only needed to use the blow dryer on my hair for a short time. The blow dryer she used had a comb attachment. My hair was nice and straight when she finished drying it. Then she used the curling iron to add a little bend on the ends. Like you, I have a ceramic flat iron (which is easier for me to handle vs. a curling iron). How often are you going to use your blow dryer and ceramic flat iron? Once I got home, I used a little serum on my hair and that was it. Girl, I didn't even want to wash my hair since it was so nice and straight (and smooth too). Do you already have a good heat protectant? How about a little serum? I know you've got something in that stash of yours.
smile.gif

Hi Gldspoon
My hair is natural but I just straightened my hair with my ionic dryer and ceramic iron b/c I HATE roller setting for long periods of time especially in this heat.

I always used New Image Damage Free heat protectant (from Sally's) to blow dry and then Dudley's cream press to iron (or sometimes Wild Growth Oil) and I liked the results.

But this time I used different stuff.

To blow dry I used Aveda Universal Styling Cream and to iron I used the Aveda Anti humectant pomade.

The Universal styling Cream is the heavier version of the Aveda Damage Free (in the spritz bottle) and it protects hair up to 400 degrees. The Anti-Humectant is supposed to help my hair from reverting. Someone over at NC.com reccomended it to me.

The results: My hair is definitly not anywhere as near as greasy as it usually is. It is as straight like it gets in the salon and it moves...not stiff at all. I am at work today and I got compliments on it but it's hard to tell if it is b/c I straightened it (haven't straightened since Jan) or b/c it really looks good?

I like the feel of my hair...I can run my hands through it and not end up with shiny palms but I think I am so used to seeing my hair slicked down with the Dudleys that I am not used to this light bouncy look.

The Anti-Humectant I cant really tell b/c its not so humid out here in LA and also I am inside an air conditioned bldg.

Aveda stuff is expensive but you can buy the products and if they dont work for you then they allow you to return them.

Since you are relaxed you may not have a problem with reverting hair so you may not even need the Anti Humectant.
But a young lady on another board sold me on the Universal Styling Cream. It helps my hair blow dry straighter than the New Image so I didnt need to use the iron too much and it smells good too.

Sorry this is so long but hope something I said here helps.
Valleygirl

PS HEY ALLANDRA!!!!! I am sure your straightened hair looked BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Oh 2 more things...I used a comb/pik attachment with my blow drier. I have never been able to get the hand/brush/blowdrier thing down.

And the lady at the Aveda store told me to blow dry with nothing in my hair then use the Universal Styling cream on each section before flat ironing...I didnt do that b/c
1- I am afraid to blow dry my hair raw like that
2- the water as a main ingredient then running a flat iron over it didnt make sense to me...nothing but sizzle.

OK that's it I'm done!
Valleygirl

Hi G's Boo....thanks for the tips and I wash every 3 days so it should be cool. I just have to remember not to layer my hair with junk before I style it.

Hi Allandra....girl I am a disgrace to the hair boards. I own like 5 hair products so there is no "stash" to dig into. I have kera care silken seal...would that be considered a protectant? or should I get something else also? I have a bottle of silk therapee which I love...so I guess that's my serum.

Valleygirl...thanks for the advice and the product suggestions...I think I am going to have to look for something to protect my hair from the heat, and that pesky humidity is a big problem. I agree with you...back in the day I had a chance to see allandras hair and it is gorgeous...

When I do it (next week) I will be sure to take pics and let you ladies know when I have updated my files.

smile.gif

Thanks again!

Gldspoon

Hey Gldspoon your hair is beautiful. If you don't mind me asking what is your hair texture, 4a/b? What products do you use on your hair? Do you take vitamins? Any hints on hair care, I have shoulder length hair and I want to grow it out as long as yours.

Thanks,

Virgogrlnxtdr

Back