Styling Questions: How often do you comb and Dry Roller Setting

foxieroxienyc

Ok guys, so as the title says, how often do you use a comb on your hair?

My new hair care regimen has me sticking to absolutely NO brushing. I try to wear my hair in mostly up do's (ponytails, messy up do's with clips - I dont always bun, but will from time to time). When I style, I'll finger comb, and I like to use a wide tooth comb (a large wide tooth comb at that). It looks sorta like this:

wide-tooth-comb.jpg

I like it because it causes no breakage, but I'm wondering how often you ladies comb your own hair. I cant seem to be so low maintenance that I can stop completely.

Also I have a question about roller setting... I totally SUCK at wet roller sets, but I can easily put them in when my hair is dry. I'm planning on practicing more with this technique so I can get better at it, but in the meantime I'd like to roller set to add body mid-week when I'm between washes. I'll apply some leave in to dampen just a little bit (I use Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in Conditioner which I really like), then put on a bit of Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer. I just finished now, and will see the results tomorrow. I practiced a dry roller set one other time, and it gave me some nice body and I had only left the rollers in a short time. Have any of you tried this? What's the best method? I'd like to eventually learn to master wet roller setting to have a great way of keeping my hair straight w/o having to flat iron.

Rox.

Welcome Foxieroxienyc!

I only use my comb on wet hair when detangling under the shower, as I rinse out my conditioner. I comb my leave-in through also before rollersetting.

I've never tried rollersetting on dry hair although some of the ladies here have done it to maintain rollersets. :) I can see how it would work though.

I do both daily!

I do still usr heat though. I flatiron my hair on wash day once a week. But I do dry rollersets daily to maintain my style and moisture. Rolling my hair (I use satin covered foam rollers) after I moisturize really does help my hair maintain moisture. I can have dry hair and then in the morning after moisturizing and rolling, my hair's moisture level is back on track. Much better than before I started rolling my hair at night - not sure why, but it works.

I comb my hair whenever I feel like I need to. Most that is lightly in the a.m. - sometimes I just need to a little to comb my curls out - and once in the evening before my moisturizing and rolling routine. I really have to on days that I oil my scalp.

I too flatiron on wash day and roll my hair dry everynight after moisturizing. It works for me. I only comb my hair at night and that is mostly to part before rolling. In the morning I just finger comb my hair out and go.

My hair is loving me right now. Pin curling just didnt' work for me

Oh and I use regular magnatic rollers everynight. I just try to roll so that I don't feel them when sleeping.

I do both daily!

I do still usr heat though. I flatiron my hair on wash day once a week. But I do dry rollersets daily to maintain my style and moisture. Rolling my hair (I use satin covered foam rollers) after I moisturize really does help my hair maintain moisture. I can have dry hair and then in the morning after moisturizing and rolling, my hair's moisture level is back on track. Much better than before I started rolling my hair at night - not sure why, but it works.

I comb my hair whenever I feel like I need to. Most that is lightly in the a.m. - sometimes I just need to a little to comb my curls out - and once in the evening before my moisturizing and rolling routine. I really have to on days that I oil my scalp.

I only comb my hair once every 2-3 weeks and that's wet with conditioner and oil. Combing was thinning my hair big time. You can see, in my signature, how much thicker it as become since I've adopted a low manipulation regimen.

I don't rollerset often but when I do I still don't comb my hair except the day I rollerset it (which is also the day I detangle it). Each night, I separate my hair into 3 section (2 in back and 1 up top), spray with moisturzier and a little sealant, and put a 1.25in flexi rod on each section then tie down the edges with a scarf. In the morning, I gently separate the curls with my fingers and put in my hair accessories. I must admit this regimen gets easier and easier the longer my hair gets.

Lonei and sylver2 also rollerset and only comb their hair every couple weeks.

ETA: I gave up the brush 2 years ago. :)

Last edited:
:bdance:

Thanks ladies so much for the responses! I'm going to start dry roller setting at night, it doesnt bother me too much at least nothing I cant get used to. I'm really trying to refrain from heat styling at all. For me I'll just moisturize the ends, then roll up and hit the sack. I've tried the flexirods (got purple and blue ones more for volume and less spiral curls) but I cant for the life of me get the damn things in my head. I feel like I'm going to break my hair off trying, so I'm putting them down for now... lol. Pin curls sometimes work, but these days they're just not staying right for me when I take em down :wallbash:.

Any other pointers and tips from others is greatly appreciated.

PS: Honeydew, what do your rollers look like exactly? Can you post a pic so I can pick some up during my weekly BSS excursion? lol :rolleyes: I'm a bonafide pj since joining this site.

Back