Styling Improvement! Encouragement for the style challenged

Leeda.the.Paladin

I don't know if this thread is going to work out or not, as I know a lot of people probably don't take pictures of their failed hair experiments :look:

But too many times after "styling" my hair, have I looked in the mirror and :nono: at what I'd done to myself. But we all know that with practice comes perfection (or close to it!) I still have several styling methods I'd like to become better acquainted with (cornrowing, rollersetting) so I just find it inspirational to see that people can improve!

So in this thread, post pictures of styles that you have improved on, before and after.

Mine is twists done on dry hair, which I was pretty horrible at starting out:

DSC01618.jpg

Still kind of bad here:

DSC02890.jpg

And today's:

DSC05073.jpg

Anyone else care to share?

Your twist look good!

I think I am getting better at blowdrying and flat ironing but I still cant get my roots straight.

Nice thread. I am one who has considered herself styling challenged. But I have managed to improve some on my flat iron technique.

The first pic is one of my first attempts at flat ironing my natural hair. The second pic is a more recent attempt. And the third pic is when my hair was flat ironed by someone else (and what I'm working up to being able to do by myself).

Attachments

• Frizzy flat iron.jpg
    Frizzy flat iron.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Smoother flat iron.jpg
    Smoother flat iron.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Smoothest flat iron.jpg
    Smoothest flat iron.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 38
Nice thread. I am one who has considered herself styling challenged. But I have managed to improve some on my flat iron technique.

The first pic is one of my first attempts at flat ironing my natural hair. The second pic is a more recent attempt. And the third pic is when my hair was flat ironed by someone else (and what I'm working up to being able to do by myself).

You are making good progress, though I thin your first attempt turned out nicely too!

Keep them coming!! :grin:

I pretty much still suck at everything:ohwell: but i like this thread.. KCcurly what changes did you make to make ur twists better?

Nice thread!

I consider myself fairly good at styling my hair. :sekret: But I failed miserably at creating good results with Curlformers (I had hoped that I could separate the "tubes" into spirals but it was frizz city when I tried. So I had to wear the tubes all day LOL. :ohwell: ) I am yet to give them a try again and so I've been taking notes of what people use on their hair when using Curlformers so I can try that next time. Until then, I don't have a complete set of before/after to share. :(

I did some twists today, but they are so bad I'm not taking pics of them. ::lol:

Thanks for the inspiration though! Hopefully I will get better :)

I have a youtube tutorial for wet twists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6v8JvJcxug

OK here is what I learned for twists on dry hair (which are the ones pictured above):

1. If the ends won't stay/curl up, dip the end in water (I got that tip from Nonie,thanks!)
  2. Concentrate a lot more product on the section of hair than you would with wet twists, it makes them more pliable
  3. Using a thicker product, such as shea butter, instead of a lotion or liquid. Shea butter usually takes awhile to settle on my hair, so I can see residue after I finish using it. I just wrap my hair up with a scarf and the rest aborbs into my hair, leaving nice shiny twists.
  4. Stretch the hair out (I used banding) instead of letting it dry in a fro beforehand
  5. Used smaller sections of hair

Nice thread!

I consider myself fairly good at styling my hair. :sekret: But I failed miserably at creating good results with Curlformers (I had hoped that I could separate the "tubes" into spirals but it was frizz city when I tried. So I had to wear the tubes all day LOL. :ohwell: ) I am yet to give them a try again and so I've been taking notes of what people use on their hair when using Curlformers so I can try that next time. Until then, I don't have a complete set of before/after to share. :(

I am too afraid to spend on the money on Curlformers. I have a fear of rollersetting of any type:lachen:

wow your twists did improve

I been posting all morning but mine did too

but it wasnt my skills, its just my hair got longer and the shrinkage of the longer hair made my cheeto twists thicker and plumper

I think you got some good growth too :yep:

your twists look great

Here's my picture of my flat-ironing job gone wrong. I'm still waiting for the day that I finally get it right.

Attachments

• flat iron gone wrong.jpg
    flat iron gone wrong.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 7
I tried to twist up my hair lastnight....

...They came out like big celie braids or something.:nono: This is my first "real" (not involving a headband, lol) attempt at styling my natural hair so I'm a little disappointed, but not crushed.:yep: Hopefully it'll get better with practice...and length. Sorry about the size of the pics...

Attachments

• DSC01359.jpg
    DSC01359.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01360.jpg
    DSC01360.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01361.jpg
    DSC01361.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
Back