Style for surgery!

Frustrated

Maintenance for surgery!

Hi Ladies! I'm have foot surgery next week and I am not allow to place any weight on my foot as well as no showers (only tub baths to keep foot:perplexed). I'm planning on getting my hair braided for this time what do you ladies recommend I do to take care of my hair since I will not be able to wash it for at least 2 weeks.

Also I'm a little nervous because I've heard that the anesthesia can cause breakage. Is there anything I can do to help prevent that from occurring

Last edited:
Since you wont be able to wash you hair, and it will be braided I would suggest a braid spray that does not build up. They also have some waterless braid shampoo (spray) also.

I had my hair braided for surgery. I think that if you spray your hair with water every few days to keep it moist in place of your usual wash routine and use a diluted leave in (like infusium) a couple times a week on your braids. Use a braid spray some have tea tree oil in them to keep down the itchies. It's kind of like a modified Crown and Glory routine ( www.growafrohairlong.com) you should be ok. Since you won't be moving around much you shouldn't have much sweat build up. Good luck with everything.

I had my hair braided for surgery. I think that if you spray your hair with water every few days to keep it moist in place of your usual wash routine and use a diluted leave in (like infusium) a couple times a week on your braids. Use a braid spray some have tea tree oil in them to keep down the itchies. It's kind of like a modified Crown and Glory routine ( www.growafrohairlong.com) you should be ok. Since you won't be moving around much you shouldn't have much sweat build up. Good luck with everything.

Thank you, was there a certain braid spray that you used?

For me I use the Dove Sheer Moisture Mist...with some boundless tresses to seal. (Keeps the itches down)

Also, popular on the board is Sulfur 8, African Pride BRX Spray, Better Braids Spray-(I like this one). Even SCurl, depending on how dry your natural hair is.

I have also noticed that if you use synthetic hair, your natural hair tends to dry out faster ie, I moisturize twice a day when I have this type of hair

Re: Maintenance for surgery!

Hi Ladies! I'm have foot surgery next week and I am not allow to place any weight on my foot as well as no showers (only tub baths to keep foot:perplexed). I'm planning on getting my hair braided for this time what do you ladies recommend I do to take care of my hair since I will not be able to wash it for at least 2 weeks.

Also I'm a little nervous because I've heard that the anesthesia can cause breakage. Is there anything I can do to help prevent that from occurring

I had foot surgery in 2004. I had a flexi rod set. my hair was about apl length relaxed. I kept that style in for about a week and i had someone take me to the shop the next week to get it washed and set. since you do your own haie get some cornrows until you can wash it yourself. Don't worry abot the anesthesia. I have had anesthesia used on me a number of occasions and my hair was fine.

Back