Studying the Bible

phynestone

I asked one of my friends this question and she said one does this to make a decision to follow Christ. I made that decision a long time ago, but how exactly does one study it? Yes, I know there's more than praying and meditating on scriptures, but I read quite a bit of Christian literature and ask God for guidance and discernment to know what is true and what isn't. I don't get to attend Bible study very often due to my work schedule and transportation issues.

19sweetie, First get a Bible that you can read easily like The Spirit-Filled Life Bible or Rainbow Study Bible or what good Bible you enjoy reading. Go to the New Testament Epistles like Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians and find out what you have going for you as a born again believer. Get alone for some quiet time and maybe a hot cup of tea in an area of your home where you can spend 15 minutes or so just reading the Word. Also, when you read, read the whole chapter not just one verse so that you may get understanding of the context. Right now I am enjoying Proverbs and Psalms. I am getting so much from it. God will guide you as you ask Him. Stay prayerful as you read if you can. The Word is powerful in itself.:) Sorry so long.

charmingt said:
19sweetie, First get a Bible that you can read easily like The Spirit-Filled Life Bible or Rainbow Study Bible or what good Bible you enjoy reading. Go to the New Testament Epistles like Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians and find out what you have going for you as a born again believer. Get alone for some quiet time and maybe a hot cup of tea in an area of your home where you can spend 15 minutes or so just reading the Word. Also, when you read, read the whole chapter not just one verse so that you may get understanding of the context. Right now I am enjoying Proverbs and Psalms. I am getting so much from it. God will guide you as you ask Him. Stay prayerful as you read if you can. The Word is powerful in itself.:) Sorry so long.
Excellent advice!!!

A great way to begin is to take the lesson your preacher taught on Sunday and review the books of the bible and specific scriptures referenced during church.

Find which chapters and verses speak to you and meditate. I write what the chapters and verses mean to me and dig deeper into my understanding.

Just piggybacking off of what charmingt said (great advice, btw)...

I'm not familiar with the Study Bible's that were mentioned, but I have the Life Application Study Bible, NIV. I had been using the KJV, and all I can say is wow what a difference. I absolutely love the footnotes and really enjoy how each book is opened. The openings explain what the particular purpose of the book is, who wrote it, important characters, megathemes, etc. I highly recommend it.

In addition, Creflo Dollar has an excellent portion of his website dedicated to Bible Study. I tend to follow his Daily Devotionals, which are selected verses for each day of the month.
Here's the link:
http://interactive.creflodollarministries.org/bible/readingplan_t.asp

HTH!

Back