student hair school or no?

Lovestyr

I have been going to my hairdresser faithfully the last three years....excluding my wigs occasionally and sew ins. I went every two weeks and paid her between 45.00 MINIMUM to 70.00 :wallbash:for her to do my hair....I aint going to lie she can do some HAIR. my hair being looking good....i get so many compliements.....blah blah ANYWAY, LADIES the point i am trying to make is that a friend of mine mentioned that she goes to the local beauty school or cosemetology school whatever the name is:look: and she pays 6.95 YES ONLY 6.95 :yep:for a wash and set . she usually gets a rollerset or a wrap....i was like OMG... i could go every week for the price i was paying her?......i would only go for wash and sets and go to my usually beautician for the relaxers? What do you ladies think? i want some feedback please
PS... THEY USE REDKEN i have heard some good things about this line. I am also to lazy to do it myself thats why i woudl much rather pay them to do it....thanks ladies again.:drunk::yep:

I don't like getting my hair done at the beauty school. It's hit or miss because sometimes you get a skilled student and sometimes you don't. However, it wouldn't hurt to try it for only $6.95. Just don't let them get near you with a pair of scissors :blush:.

I don't like getting my hair done at the beauty school. It's hit or miss because sometimes you get a skilled student and sometimes you don't. However, it wouldn't hurt to try it for only $6.95. Just don't let them get near you with a pair of scissors :blush:.

I will have to concur with MD!!! I might add (chemicals) as well...

i agree with the ladies above... try 'em out for just wash & set.... no chemicals or scissors... i mean you can't beat $6.95

as long as you stick with the basics. I like my local beauty schools for simple stuff and basic facials.

:sad:Aww. That hurts. I'm a cosmetology student and when we work with chemicals we always have the teacher around to watch what we are doing. But, I totally can understand where you are coming from. I didn't want anyone to touch my hair either when I first started school. It's a learning process, how else will we learn.

NO HEAT....unless it's the ionic dryer LOL

I would say go first and get something simple ..see if they are even decent and then go back.... honestly, if it weren't for the money issue, that should probably be the first thing we do when we visit any salon

I go all the time... I agree with the other ladies, dont let them cut or chemical. But they do use top notch products, mine has Mizani!!!, and mine allows appointment with a specific student if you like. Considering its really hard to screw up a roller set, it really easy to hide a bad one. Just be willing to be patient with them while they are rolling you hair and gentle with the feedback, they are learning. Otherwise, yau cant beat being able to go once a week!

I have been going to my hairdresser faithfully the last three years....excluding my wigs occasionally and sew ins. I went every two weeks and paid her between 45.00 MINIMUM to 70.00 :wallbash:for her to do my hair....I aint going to lie she can do some HAIR. my hair being looking good....i get so many compliements.....blah blah ANYWAY, LADIES the point i am trying to make is that a friend of mine mentioned that she goes to the local beauty school or cosemetology school whatever the name is:look: and she pays 6.95 YES ONLY 6.95 :yep:for a wash and set . she usually gets a rollerset or a wrap....i was like OMG... i could go every week for the price i was paying her?......i would only go for wash and sets and go to my usually beautician for the relaxers? What do you ladies think? i want some feedback please
PS... THEY USE REDKEN i have heard some good things about this line. I am also to lazy to do it myself thats why i woudl much rather pay them to do it....thanks ladies again.:drunk::yep:

If you are talking about the school off of Gunn Hwy...one of my relative graduated from that school about a year ago, and I can definitely say she does some healthy hair. I always caution buyer beware, so ask to see the students work if possible.

I know how you feel but the truth is that no one cares about your hair as much as you do. So how bout aquiring the skills to do it yourself? It's hard at first but there is so much help on this site. Maybe you can save money AND save your hair that way.

Thanks ladies for all your responses. I think I am going to aand check them it out...I may just hit a gold mine....:grin:

:sad:Aww. That hurts. I'm a cosmetology student and when we work with chemicals we always have the teacher around to watch what we are doing. But, I totally can understand where you are coming from. I didn't want anyone to touch my hair either when I first started school. It's a learning process, how else will we learn.

Yeah i had a student with the teacher around to watch and she STILL effed up.

So now i know better. NO chemicals, scissors, hard stuff.....Wash and set is fine and if you like someone or see another client whose hair looks better then dont hesitate to ask to be scheduled under THAT student.

yall ain't learning on my years of growth :lachen:

like someone else said, no chemical and NO SCISSORS!

Basically. I just would not do chemicals, haircuts, or hot styling tools especially a stove. But I would definetely ATLEAST try a roller set that was $7. . I mean whats the harm if you don't like it? :ohwell:

[[COLOR="Orange"]COLOR="DarkOrange"]Yeah, I think i am going to try a rollerset. That will be my first rollereset..ill be sure to post pics so you ladies can see how it turns out.[/COLOR[/COLOR]]

Girl, its hit or miss. Different students in your head each time. I tried going to a local beauty school years ago, trying to save myself some money. My hair came out decent, but nothing spectacular. Remember the better students graduate and move on..If you already have a hairdresser that you like and trust, I say STAY! Why downgrade to a new person you don't know that much about, just to save a few dollars? Not worth it in my opinion. A hairdresser that understands what your hair needs is hard to find!!!!

I go all the time... I agree with the other ladies, dont let them cut or chemical. But they do use top notch products, mine has Mizani!!!, and mine allows appointment with a specific student if you like. Considering its really hard to screw up a roller set, it really easy to hide a bad one. Just be willing to be patient with them while they are rolling you hair and gentle with the feedback, they are learning. Otherwise, yau cant beat being able to go once a week!

I think most do, or if you're a walk in, you can request a specific person. Maybe try the person that your friend goes to at the beauty school. If that person graduates, then you find someone new.

I had a friend growing up that always got her hair done at the beauty school. I went a couple of times when I had a cousin that was a student there, and I let her practice on me.

I think if you have a good stylist now, I wouldn't abandon him or her to save money because it might not be worth it. If the new stylist jacks up your hair, will you feel better because it was less than $7? Will you be able to fix the damage for $7? I would cut back in some other area and keep my hair happy.

I went to one for a bit and it was the best $13 I ever spent. Every visit I would get a wash, dc (15 minutes under the dryer) and a set. I young lady I frequent was Queen of the updo's (see my avatar!). She graduated not too long ago and now I will have to find another good AA student.

All the AA ladies in there were awesome and ALL of their hair is hooked up to the max! They also let me choice who would do my hair each week and I always choice the Queen! Oh and they used Design Essentials. The 6 n 1 put a wipping on my hair and made it pay attention! :up:

Last edited:

Sorry, but at least you will be a great stylist! You're hear learning more in addition to what you're learning at school.

OP, my mom used to take me to the beauty school to save money sometimes and I've had some really bad experiences. I would get a good stylist & then they would be gone - graduated, moved on & they won't tell you where he/she went! The rollersets that they do at almost any AA salon will involve setting lotion. Note that 99% of the ladies here on LHCF do not use setting lotion! That stuff will harden and break your hair. It needs to be diluted, at least.

Ii went to a paul mitchell beauty school last night. I got a roller set done. it cost me only 13 bucks. I really enjoyed the whole experience. i will be going back again. I am currently trying tyo upload a pic of the rollerset.....give me a sec
i got a wash , deep condition , and a extensive hair treatmet plus rollerset for 13 bUCKS.....YAYAY

heres my pic....im shy so i hide my face....you guys see the color in my hiar a little bit....you can see my curls a little bit...sorry not a very quality pic....:grin:

Attachments

• hair roll.jpg
    hair roll.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 19
  • my rollerset.jpg
    my rollerset.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
I've always had positive experiences with beauty schools. They don't do much without supervision, but I would just get the rollerset until you find a stylist there you trust.

Yeah, i think its safe to just stick with the rollersets.....i think it came out very nice...i really ddint take a very good pic...but i have received many compliements off of it.

When I lived in TN, I went to a Beauty School to get a rollerset. I think I complained about it on the vendor review forum. All I asked for was a simple roller set. I brought my own products and my own accessories (rollers, combs, pins, clips, hair-net, etc.). The student was one week away from graduating so I figured that at least she would set me well.

When she first saw my hair she complained about how I needed a relaxer. Then after rinsing out the conditioner from my hair she noticed that it wasn't rinsed out completely, and pretty much blamed me for it!

During the setting process, my hair was getting a little dry and she blamed me for that too. I told her, "When I roller set, usually I have a spray bottle full of water around. That way, my hair stays flat on the roller." No, she didn't take my advice about the spray bottle.

I did let her trim my ends too and she did a bad job at that. It's as if she skipped every split end I had.

I refused to let this lady style my hair after setting it so I left after I used their hooded dryer... with the rollers in my head!

Needless to say, I will never ever go to a beauty school to get my hair done. Not even if it's under $10.

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience....wow like someone else had said,...either you get a really good student or a bad student....

Back